Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom Classic: Editing raw file in PS from LR loses profile

LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[See here for how to reproduce the bug and an easy workaround:

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-editing-cr3-files-i... -- John Ellis]

Editing a picture in Photoshop 2021 from within LR 10.0 makes the color profile disappear and the image loses all it's vibrancy... Any idea how to fix that? Top image is what I see in LR. Bottom is how it shows up in Photoshop... 

ScreenShot20201021at7.18.40AM-240171dc-a5d4-4249-8984-f1786b7af173-2080094976.pngScreenShot20201021at7.18.40AM-240171dc-a5d4-4249-8984-f1786b7af173-2080094976.png
ScreenShot20201021at7.18.49AM-4f6af639-71e2-4220-82ad-6b3b230ee66b-1477693513.pngScreenShot20201021at7.18.49AM-4f6af639-71e2-4220-82ad-6b3b230ee66b-1477693513.png
Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Greetings,

The Max 2021 Photography products updates have been released and include remedies for this topic.  The updates will be rolling out worldwide, October 26 and 27, 2021. If you do not see the updates in your Creative Cloud Desktop app, you can refresh the apps to see if the updates are available in your region.  The keyboard shortcut to refresh is [Cmd/Ctrl] + [Opt/Alt] + [ R ]. 

Note: iOS and Android updates may take up to a week to appear in your App Store.

Thank you for your pat

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Sep 17, 2021 Sep 17, 2021

This existing bug is almost a year old, so I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for it to get fixed:

https://feedback-readonly.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-editing-raw-file-in-ps-from-lr-loses-profile/5f9043b035f40c2520b9e964 

A workaround is to do Metadata > Save Metadata To File right before editing in Photoshop, or alternatively, set the option Catalog Settings > Metadata > Automatically Write Changes Into XMP.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND , Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

[Here's a concise synthesis of previous posts and my own testing]

When you edit a raw photo in Photoshop that has a creative profile containing a LUT, Photoshop loses the profile.  A workaround is to do Metadata > Save Metadata To File right before editing in Photoshop, or alternatively, set the option Catalog Settings > Metadata > Automatically Write Changes Into XMP.

To reproduce:

1. Make sure Photoshop is not running.

2. In LR, uncheck the option Catalog Settings > Metadata > Auto

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 161 Replies 161
161 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 13, 2020 Nov 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@andrew_rodney I exported the dng from LrC just to do the test you asked me to do.  I had previously set the Color Settings to "ask" in case there were issues related to this troubleshooting.  Normally, I have them on "preserve" as you suggest.  The dng is 79MB.  I can try to upload it somewhere if you think there is value to that.  The dng did open in ACR as you say.  I didn't mention that because that is normal behavior.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Access to Dropbox?

Odd DNG opened as you state, that may be part of your issue but we need the DNG. No, that's not normal behavior. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@andrew_rodney I uploaded to Google Drive.  you should be able to download from there?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1aWw2_RExV1xRyiTdu6Q7P7PvzpIof0d6/view?usp=sharing

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got it, something is certainly wrong. It opens in ACR showing the correct DCP profile. It is imported in LR without and LR shows "Missing Profile". Asking to update metadata and preview command doesn't help. So LR isn't supporting this profile for some reason, ACR is. Screen capture from my Mac below. 

Question: IF you use a different DCP profile, say from Adobe, does it work? 

If so, there might be something about this DCP profile that LR doesn't like. 

LRvsACR-a8d45e93-df9c-49a7-bd2c-3d9baf8dda74-1518430528.jpg
Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, the profiles work just fine for me in LR, including opening that .dng, but of course I have installed them.  The issue has never been LR, but only when opening the image from Lightroom in PhotoShop.  I tried using an Adobe profile and the image looks correct in PS, but when I open the ACR filter, the profile just says "color", but perhaps this is normal as I didn't open as Smart Object and the RAW file has been rasterized?  (Not to introduce a whole other topic...)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 14, 2020 Nov 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just did the same.  Downgrade to ACR 12 and everything seems fine.  I hope the next update to ACR 13 fixes this though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am giving up for now.  I downgraded to ACR 12 and everything seems fine.  I hope the next update to ACR 13 fixes this though!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@andrew_rodney @arjun_haarith I am giving up further troubleshooting for now.  I downgraded to ACR V12 and everything is working just fine.  I hope the next update to ACR 13 fixes this though!  This is clearly some kind of bug in ACR (not my color settings, not the GPU, not my computer, not the display profile, not the color profile itself - something wrong in ACR).

For those who need it, ACR v12 installation is here:  https://helpx.adobe.com/camera-raw/kb/camera-raw-plug-in-installer.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use ps open a RAW with ACR,and “Restore the color profiles settings”. It's solved this Bug when the ps open and close normally. But In macos,if force close the PS,then the Bug will be back. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*cyfoto Thanks!  Can you give more exact instructions?  Open a raw SOOC or a dng saved from LR with the profile in it?  Where is the "Restore color profiles" setting located?  Does this cause the behavior for later "Edit in PhotoShop 2021" invocations from LR to work as expected?  If it is a one-time solution (meaning how to open a single image with the profile), then Open as Smart Object also works.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

er no... i use Nikon D850 and D600. It happens to NEF file too. I think it's the ACR in Photoshop has problem with custom camera profile, not the raw file type.

I use the RNI presets, it has the old film camera custom profile.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

202011161.55.59-7b945a33-953a-44a1-8686-6e5d7619c32b-1072932751.png
I use Chinese version, this interface。Restore to the default color profile and restore the favorite color profile。If PS open and close normally,Edit in ps 2021 from lr will normal all the time。Do not froce close PS in macOS。Forgive me for my bad English...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 16, 2020 Nov 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*cyfoto Thanks for the additional explanation.  Unfortunately, that did not work for me to correct the problem.  The custom color profiles continue to be lost when using "Edit in PhotoShop 2021" even after resetting those options.  I will hope that the next Adobe Camera Raw update fixes it.  While I wait, ACR v12.4 is working properly.  Also "Open as Smart Obect in PhotoShop" also works properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Here's a concise synthesis of previous posts and my own testing]

When you edit a raw photo in Photoshop that has a creative profile containing a LUT, Photoshop loses the profile.  A workaround is to do Metadata > Save Metadata To File right before editing in Photoshop, or alternatively, set the option Catalog Settings > Metadata > Automatically Write Changes Into XMP.

To reproduce:

1. Make sure Photoshop is not running.

2. In LR, uncheck the option Catalog Settings > Metadata > Automatically Write Changes Into XMP. 

3. In LR, import the creative profile My LUT Creative Profile (a creative profile containing a LUT):
https://www.dropbox.com/s/pgooisxu70f4tg6/MyLUTCreativeProfile.xmp?dl=0

4. Choose a raw file and delete any associated sidecar from disk.

5. Edit the raw in Develop and apply the profile My LUT Creative Profile.

6. Do Edit In Adobe Photoshop 2021.

7. Observe that the profile has not been applied in Photoshop.

The bug doesn't occur with creative profiles (.xmp) not containing a LUT, nor does it occur with camera profiles (.dcp).

See here for a likely explanation of the root cause: 

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-editing-raw-file-in... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 17, 2020 Nov 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope that too!!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today Photoshop 2021 update to 22.0.1.73

this version fix it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*cyfoto I just installed and tried it and the problem is still there.  I think the issue is in Adobe Camera Raw, so I am hoping that the next update of that component will resolve?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you @John_R_Ellis !  Concise description and just confirmed that the save metadata to file just before entering PS works for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@John_R_Ellis When you edit a raw photo in Photoshop that has a non-Adobe profile, Photoshop loses the profile.

DCP Camera Profiles? I'm not seeing this with my own custom (non Adobe) profiles which is all I use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Deleted User - you are lucky...the rest of us are seeing it all the time...  😞  here is a video of it:

https://youtu.be/c2L6hyEyT10

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got that profile and yes, it exhibited the issue in your video. None the less, this doesn't happen on this end with ALL non Adobe DCP camera profiles. So the question is, what's wrong/different with that profile? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@andrew_rodney I haven't a clue what might be different about that profile.  It also happens with another third party profile I have and looks like @John_R_Ellis also reproduced it with a LUT?

Votes

Translate

Translate