• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Embedded Preview glitch

Explorer ,
Nov 21, 2019 Nov 21, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Version 9.0 has a bug using Sony cameras (A7III at least): while scrolling images with embedded previews, you'll get a glitch where the right border of the image looks "multicolored". While scrolling the colored border is thicker, while it settles on few pixels when you stop scrolling. Nothing that compromises the workflow, but still annoying. See image.

Images with 1:1 previews don't have this issue, as well as images that have been edited.

Turning off the GPU doesn't make a difference. I have to note that it only happens to one long side (either right or bottom).

As said, generating a 1:1 preview solves the issue (though I work with smart previews):

Here is my system information:

Lightroom Classic version: 9.0
Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition Version: 10.0.17763
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 3.3 GHz
Built-in memory: 16341.9 MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 12.0 [ 321 ]
Displays: 1) 1920x1080
Graphics Processor Info:

DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (26.21.14.4120)

Todd_Shaner confirmed the issue using my ARW files. The issue, he explained, is due the fact that Sony cameras don't embedded a full size JPEG preview as davidg36166309 explained (thread here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/new-releases-new-bugs-embedded-preview-glitch/m-p/1... 😞 
"I extracted the preview from one of the ARW files and it is 1660x1080 with the edge artifact not visible. Because that is less than 50% of the raw image size LR should have built Standard size previews on Import as explained here. [...] The edge artifacts shouldn't be happening even with LR not creating Standard size previews on Import. The lower resolution (i.e. blurry) image is due to the lower resolution embedded JPEG preview size. Again, LR should be detecting that you are trying to view the Embedded Preview image at greater than 1:1 Zoom view and "automatically create a Standard size or even 1:1 Preview." [...].

Bug Won't fix
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
9 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for letting us know.
I have written to you off list to get a photo that you use.

Thanks,
Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 22, 2019 Nov 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sunil, the OP has provided share links to two ARW files at the LR Forum post here https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic/new-releases-new-bugs-embedded-preview-glitch/m-p/1...

It appears this issue is not unique to Sony ARW files. I just checked a Canon 5D MKII CR2 file using Embedded & Sidecar Import setting and it is also exhibiting low resolution (i.e. softness) when viewed at 1:1 Zoom in the Library module. Unlike the Sony ARW files the Canon CR2 raw files have a full-size embedded preview. It should appear at full-resolution, but clearly there is an issue when using Embedded & Sidecar Import module setting (see below).
LR 9.0 on Windows 10 Version 1903 Build 18362

Embedded & Sidecar Import Preview            Extracted Preview
(Both at 1:1 Zoom View)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 25, 2019 Nov 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for letting us know.
We are investigating.

Thanks,
Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Investigations have revealed there were no visible changes in the embedded preview created by Lr and manually created using Exif tool. We are unable to reproduce. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess that's just my system then. I stopped using the embedded previews, since the issue still otherwise persists. Thanks for looking into it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested it again with the new update. Looks like the new update solved it.
Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk, I'm still seeing the same embedded preview softness at 1:1 Zoom view in the Library module with ALL of my Canon EOS cameras (300D, 600D, 5D MKII, 6D). WIndows 10 with LR 9.2. I'll forward you the email I sent to Sunil with details on how to duplicate the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

todd@craftedreality, is this related the other original posters issue? That issue is reported fixed and does not seem to be the same as yours. Seems like this should be on a different thread.
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 12, 2020 Feb 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
It appeared related at the time, but I can confirm the OP's issue with Sony ARW Embedded Previews appears to be fixed in LR 9.2. The Canon CR2 Embedded Preview issue remains the same in LR 9.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate