• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic: How to filter for Images with no Keywords

Explorer ,
Nov 28, 2017 Nov 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As I began adding keywords, I noticed a way to select any/all images that have no keywords set yet and I used it. Now I do not see that tool where I thought I last found it.
What is the best way to filter for images without any keywords?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Create a smart collection and under the criterion Other Metadata you can choose Keywords / Are Empty.

Also in the Library Filter (the 4 columns at the top of grid) you can change a column to Keywords.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In Library, you can also filter on Text > Keywords > Are Empty.  This allows selection without a Smart Collection.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

RackMultipart20171128415221pf7-0946fc4e-e389-4feb-a766-065f95ca04be-1243227399.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to everyone. I will try them both and see what works best for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
There are numerous differences between smart collections and filters most people aren't aware of:

1. You can save the search criteria "Keywords are empty" both in smart collections and Library Filter bar presets, so that it only takes a click or two to call up either (depending on how many of each you have and whether you have to scroll the left column):

RackMultipart20171128109723d8o-a78e5a50-bf3f-4bee-b5fe-79d04e36bcc1-1786508895.png

2. You can always select a filter preset in the right corner of the filmstrip, but you may or may not be able to select the smart collection from the filmstrip's recent sources in the left corner:

RackMultipart20171128824242p3p-c9b23d5b-56c3-48cc-90dc-45ba678a7c1b-1880572516.png

3. Both smart collections and filters update what's shown in the grid view and filmstrip continuously in real time as photos are changed.

4. A smart collection searches your entire catalog and shows you all matching photos, including photos hidden in collapsed stacks.  It's possible but not very easy to restrict a smart collection to a particular source (collection or folder) -- it takes several steps most people won't remember.

A filter searches just the current source (collection or folder) and doesn't show photos that are in collapsed stacks. So unlike smart collections, it's easy to restrict a filter to different sources.  But if you want to search your entire catalog, it takes  extra steps -- select All Photographs, expand all stacks, apply the filter.

5. You can't manipulate stacking while viewing a smart collection, but you can while using a filter.

6. You can have different filters for different sources (collections and folders).

7. Smart collections have more criteria and allow for general boolean combinations of And, Or, and Not.  Filters are restricted to a more limited combination of And and Or.

8. Filters let you do exact match of keywords, whereas smart collections don't.  This can cause smart collections to incorrectly search photos with keywords containing multiple words.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do exactly the same approach as John
Create a dynamic collection Choosing : as test zone "Key words"  and as rule "are empty"

Just like the way I do look at the dump RackMultipart2017112881061j9o2-2c4c7624-3e3f-43d7-8d19-5aca2b33f9ea-1018671334.pngscreen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thats correct Don, Library filter is almost the same as smart collections. The interest to have such smart collection is that user has continuously the information present without redoing the library  gimmick.
It's only a question choice or depend from the way the user is working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines