• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Importing photos - different files merged

LEGEND ,
Jan 06, 2019 Jan 06, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Importing a file, renaming it in Lightroom, then importing any other file with the same name generates incorrect records and does not import subsequent files. This is happening when scanning to a folder with autogenerated names, then using LR to import the files and rename.

1) Scan some slides to a folder named e.g. YYYY-MM-DD-sequence.TIF
2) Import into Lightroom (synchronise folder)
2) Rename or move those files elsewhere using Lightroom
3) Scan more files which are again auto-named, with the sequence restarting at 1 because the first ones are no longer there
4) Import the new files (synchronise folder)

Actual: LR notices the new files but creates duplicate records for the first set of images, even if they have been moved to a different folder and renamed. Removing one of the duplicate records actually removes both records, requiring a second "sync folder" to re-import correctly.

Expected: LR creates new records for the new files in the correct folder.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
18 Comments
Engaged ,
Jan 09, 2019 Jan 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm able to consistently replicate this behavior in Lightroom Classic CC 8.1 on Win10, if I do all the steps without ever closing Lr.  If I restart Lr between imports, it works normally, treating the images as different/separate entities.

Try restarting Lr before your second import (step 4) and see if you get the same results.

Also, does your scanning software have the ability to add the time to your auto-naming template?  If so, you could drop the sequence number and go with YYYY-MM-DD-HHMMSS.TIF.  Assuming you're not scanning more than one image per second, that should work around this issue pretty easily too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am able to also consistently replicate this bug in Lr 8.1 and MacOS 10.13.6.   

This is a very obscure bug but is easily replicated so Adobe should be able to fix it.  Hopefully they will start fixing some of these easily reproducible ones, although history shows otherwise.

If I delete one they are both deleted.
I I select the pair and say "delete from disk" I get the following error which is probably expected.
RackMultipart201901098795515un-ac6a416c-5633-4a25-a1c8-9c2052aa5116-2054785980.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As an added note, I have seen a couple other threads in the past concerning this issue of "phantom" thumbnails.  Here is one thread here:

https://forums.adobe.com/message/10503511#10503511

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can repeat this and have logged it with the team. As Bob says, a very obscure bug with a workflow that is uncommon. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Robert, can you confirm whether it works properly for you if you restart Lr between imports?

Seems like it must or everyone who had their cameras set to restart file numbering each time a card is replaced would be running into this frequently and squawking about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't tried with a restart but now that Rikk Flohr acknowledged the bug it is in Adobe's hands.  Rikk is great at staying on top of of bugs he has duplicated and acknowledged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's really not an uncommon workflow if a camera is set to restart file numbering on each memory card insert.  I know that's an option on my Canon's.  Not sure about others.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I could see where a workflow as follows would/should be the same as the OP's scanning scenario and is probably a common workflow for some.  If it created problems I would think it would have shown up more often.

Have camera set to restart file numbering
Reformat camera card
Copy files to folder A
Sync folder A
Rename files
Reformat camera card
Copy files to folder A 
Sync folder A

I would try this but I have NO interest in setting my camera to restart numbering as it might mess up my numbering system in the long run.  I'll let Adobe do this. : )

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Exactly...and if you think about it, there are actually a number of scenarios where you could end up with the same original filename being imported  - using multiple cards on the same shoot, using multiple camera bodies with numbering set the same way, etc.  My Canon will start the numbering sequence over if a new folder is created on the card, so the same card could even have the same filename on it in different folders.

it's not affecting my workflow at all, but I am still curious about the restart.  That could be mitigating/hiding the problem for folks that aren't importing multiple times in the same session.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be the case that “Import” using the import dialog instead of using “sync” to import MAY not have this issue. I didn’t try that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 10, 2019 Mar 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jim,

I am from Lightroom Classic team. We tried to contact you via the email registered with feedback.photoshop.com but the message was not delivered. Could you please share your official email id with us or send an email to mayugupt@adobe.com?

Thanks
Mayuri

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 01, 2019 May 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Importing a file with the same name as the original name of a file that was renamed can corrupt the catalog, producing two photos in the catalog with the same filename. I first noticed this bug with my Apply LUT plugin, and it might be related to this person's corruption:
https://forums.adobe.com/message/11054332

To reproduce:

1. Create a folder "f".

2. Place "x.jpg" into "a" and import it using Add.

3. In Finder, make a copy of "x.jpg" in "a" called "x-a.jpg". 

4. In LR, select "f" in the Folders panel and do Synchronize with the import option Add. There should now be two photos appearing in "f" in the catalog:

RackMultipart2019050141486vcze-5884b997-d917-4a49-af66-79ca3e804dd1-1297591769.png

5. In the Metadata > Default panel, rename "x-a.jpg" to "x-b.jpg".

6. In Finder, make a copy of "x.jpg" named "x-a.jpg".

7. In LR, synchronize "f" again with the import option Add. There are now three photos shown in "f", with two named "x-b.jpg":

RackMultipart20190501375661u0y-cb153e04-35be-4ce1-b5ca-aba4c8e29456-2000174143.png

Perhaps the import logic is using the "original filename" rather than the "current filename" when determining duplicates?

8. Select both copies of "x-b.jpg" and hit Delete, choosing Delete From Disk.  This error results:

RackMultipart20190501982681ewy-fc48c89f-e2c3-4560-a857-da9aabde58ae-1999289141.png

The two thumbnails are now marked as missing in Library view.  Finder shows "x-b.jpg" as deleted, while "x-a.jpg" is still present.

Tested on LR 8.2.1 / Mac OS 10.14.3. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 02, 2019 May 02, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another common use-case for this: 

External editors and plugins produce new versions named photo-1.tif, photo-2.tif, etc. Sometimes a user wants to make several different versions with different settings for comparison, so she renames the files to have more useful names, e.g. photo-large.tif, photo-small.tif, etc.

This was precisely the scenario in which I tripped over the bug, using my Apply LUT plugin (well, actually a customer reported it to me).

This use-case also occurs with Edit In Photoshop. LR chokes on this, but rather than corrupting the catalog, it hangs: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom-edit-in-photoshop-hangs-after-renam...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 07, 2019 May 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John!! We are able to replicate the issue. We have logged the bug for the same.

-Mayuri

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 07, 2019 May 07, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks much.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 14, 2019 May 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Lightroom Classic 8.3  contained a fix for this issue. Please update to 8.3 and verify that you are no longer seeing the issue. 

Thanks
Mayuri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Lightroom Classic 8.3  contained a fix for this issue. Please update to 8.3 and verify that you are no longer seeing the issue. 

Thanks
Mayuri

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Votes

Translate