• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Overlay is very hard to see (Crop/Transform)

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating to Lightroom Classic, the crop overlay lines are thinner and lighter than before. Can't see them on most photos. 

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018
Lightroom Classic CC 7.5 was released today and should address this issue.  If you don’t see the update in your Creative Cloud App, hit the [Ctrl/Cmd]+ [Alt/Opt]+[R] to force a refresh. 

Give the new version a try and let us know if it solves the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018
Hi,

Lightroom Classic 7.4 was released today and should address this issue.  Please update your Lightroom to the latest version and let us know if you continue to see the issue. Thank you for your patience.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/whats-new.html

Thanks,
Smit Keniya

Votes

Translate

Translate
37 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A number of people have complained about this -- can you post a full-resolution screenshot showing what it looks like (in PNG format)?

I've noticed that the lines are brighter when the GPU is enabled:

GPU on:
RackMultipart201710238607818pi-3dfd03ac-4462-4469-b685-f0e4355e4bbf-2058993778.png

GPU off:
RackMultipart2017102362945174t-482f7d5d-a3bb-4837-969c-ce2ecb311dba-1815503170.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So try checking and unchecking Preferences > Performance > Use Graphics Processor -- notice any difference?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Definite problem. It’s not usable now unless very dark image. Please, please correct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure to click the ME TOO button in the upper-right corner.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

John, thanks much.  It does make a distinct difference.  I have a Lightroom compatible video card (NVidia 760).  What are the disadvantages  of not using the graphics acceleration?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 28, 2017 Oct 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finally had a moment try out your suggestion. I see so little difference--but the "best" is so light it's unhelpful. When cycling thru the various overlays I had a hard time telling which one was displaying. Below I've marked the lines because they are so faint.

GPU off
RackMultipart2017102811252106f-30686f62-efa2-47b1-95c1-6362b2fd0b0c-485387370.png

GPU on
RackMultipart20171028125533wq1-9a1c1638-c18b-4d9c-9d72-419bead724dc-1658766608.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 29, 2017 Oct 29, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The GPU doesn't provide much benefit (and it sometimes slows things down) unless you have a 4K or 5K display. It speeds up the Develop module but no other part of LR. If you do have such a display, the GPU can speed things up a little, a lot, or not at all.  So it's best to try editing a few photos to see if you can notice a difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've asked engineering to take a look. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 30, 2017 Oct 30, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

it will be good to change crop lines color different than white.because it is hard to see white line on white image.it can be yellow and blue or even black.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 07, 2017 Nov 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enough of a problem for my workflow to force me back to 5.7 (6.x is unusably slow for me)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 02, 2018 Jan 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

any solution to this? i just upgraded my system (17R to a Precision 7720 Workstation) and was previously using the last version of Creative Cloud Lightroom (not "Lightroom CC") but the last version of what is now Lightroom Classic CC.

toggling GPU does change the color from medium gray or something to white(ish) but the lines are so fine that it's really hard to see on certain images. annoying!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 04, 2018 Jan 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until this is fixed you can also use CTRL/CMD + ALT + O keys to quickly toggle the Grid.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there any way of changing the colour of the grid when using the transform tool as when using the individual sliders on a low light picture the grid is near invisable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 05, 2018 Jan 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Added a comment to internal issue that transform too overlay has a similar problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jan 08, 2018 Jan 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tried the graphics processor, almost impossible to see the grid overlay..please remedy this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 29, 2018 Jan 29, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Via https://forums.adobe.com/message/10136732, and other posts, checking/unchecking graphics processor option in LR CC Classic does practically nothing. It's almost impossible to see the grid lines when working with real estate or nature shots now.

Using an iMac14,2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 01, 2018 Feb 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a FYI, if you press Q and then A to activate the spot removal tool and visualizer, try to use the transform tool. It helps out to some regard.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed a variety of topics in here and in the Lighroom forum going back as far as eight YEARS complaining about the very faint, unconfigurable crop overlay grid...  And it's never been very good, but in the more recent versions, the grid is virtually invisible and unusable.
Most recent topic appears to be about six months old, at which time the official answer was "I'll have engineering look at it"...  That had to be at least a couple releases old, and in 7.3 it still appears to be invisible and unable to be configured to be brighter and a contrasting color.  Am I missing some control(s) that allow users to do something about this problem or has it still not be improved to make it more usable?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had a reply from Rikk Flohr asking about a change to monitor resolution before the new topic I created was merged/closed.  There haven't been any changes in monitors or resolution in quite a while, and I don't RECALL having this much trouble seeing the overlay grid, even on images with a dark grey or black background in versions prior to 7.1 or maybe 7.0 (I haven't needed to edit any portrait images with backdrops since last year). 

Question same as original - am I missing controls or settings that allow users to do something to ameliorate this problem 'cause changing exposure to make the very faint gride or activating a visualizer or other kludges aren't real useful when I'm cropping, adjusting, straightening several hundred images at a time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would say from my comment 3 months ago - it's now invisible. While I was able to faintly see black lines before, I can't see ANY now. (And I'm not able to muddle with monitor settings - this shouldn't require any legwork on my end to fix.) This issue just keeps getting worse.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

David, sorry about that. When a thread is merged, the subsequent comments are cut off- but to answer your question. There are currently no controls to control brightness, thickness, opacity, or color for the overlay grids in the crop tool.  We do have an open issue filed for this but there currently isn't an ETA for a fix. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 23, 2018 Apr 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree very hard to see the rule of thirds and other overlay lines even with a darker subject. lines are way too fine, esp on high end screens

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 14, 2018 May 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

New LR Classic CC 7.3.1 darkened the vertical/horizontal axis lines to black from white. Nearly impossible to see in low light images. How can this be reversed? Raised this issue twice with Adobe and came to the conclusion it will not be fixed until the next version comes out. Please raise awareness of this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 18, 2018 Jun 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Lightroom Classic 7.4 was released today and should address this issue.  Please update your Lightroom to the latest version and let us know if you continue to see the issue. Thank you for your patience.

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/help/whats-new.html

Thanks,
Smit Keniya

Smit | Lightroom Classic Team

Votes

Translate

Translate