• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Profile does not show up in the Profile Browser

Participant ,
Apr 30, 2019 Apr 30, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have made a number of profiles to be used with Lightroom Classic CC. Two of them (V1 and V2) are made with the same lens and camera, just under different lighting conditions, and with the same X-rite Colorchecker Passport plugin.

Only one of them shows up in the Profile Browser; if I move V1 to a different folder and restart Lightroom, V2 shows up in the Profile Browser and vice versa.

I'm on the latest versions: Lightroom Classic CC 8.2.1 on MacOS High Sierra 10.14.4.

Is there a way to have both profiles available in the Profile Browser? Thanks.

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
19 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by V1 and then V2? IF you made an actual ICC camera profile, instead of a .DCP profile, LR will not see nor use it. 
Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is it possible that both profiles have the same internal name (which is what Lightroom uses) but different file names? That would explain this behavior.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

ICC profiles have an internal and external name, software almost always accesses the internal name. Not sure about .DCP profiles. So yes, it is possible with one of those kinds of profiles. 
Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

" with the same X-rite Colorchecker Passport plugin"

These were created using the X-Rite plugin, but you most likely renamed using Finder. Renaming the file does not change the internal name so only one profile shows up, if they have the same internal name. Download the X-Rite Profile Manger, which will allow you to change the internal name. Both profiles should then appear after restarting LR.

https://www.xrite.com/service-support/downloads/d/dng-profilemanager-software

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

V1 and V2 are shorthand designations of the two profiles I tried to use. The profiles are .dcp files, Lightroom recognizes them but not both at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I made different names for both profiles. The X-rite plugin for Lightroom asks for a profile name, which shows up in Lightroom after a restart, and the resulting file name is the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I changed the profile name in X-rite's DNG Profile Manager. That action changes the file name as well; later I change the file name in Finder and reload in the DNG Profile Manager.

See the picture attached, where two profiles are shown in the DNG Profile Manager with the corresponding files in Finder. In this example the V1 designation has been removed from the profile's name and file name.RackMultipart20190430977501x0q-9facec84-5f9d-4e41-8f27-0d37cc17baae-1451330124.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"That action changes the file name as well; later I change the file name in Finder and reload in the DNG Profile Manager."
Why are you changing the filename after renaming the files using DNG ProfileManager? Just name one with V1 and the other V2, leave the file names alone,  and they should both appear inside LR. You must restart LR so it can reload the renamed files!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did some further experimentation and I got stumped: the Lightroom profile browser shows both profiles if I use anything else than V1 or V2 as the last characters of the profile names. As soon as I change back to V1 and V2, one of the profiles is missing in Lightroom's profile browser. I find it hard to believe, but it looks like Lightroom's Profile Browser specifically ignores version numbers at the end of a profile name. Could it be that only the highest version number is shown? Just guessing...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even if I leave the file names alone after changing the profiles' names, the problem persists. See my experiment below. And yes, after each change I restart Lightroom.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please post the two camera profiles to Dropbox or other file sharing site and I'll take a look at them. What camera model raw file are you using to create them. I suggest uploading the raw file used as well. Please provide the share link(s) in a reply here. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 01, 2019 May 01, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The two profiles are identical except for internal and filename as shown below using MS Word Compare. LR is detecting this and pushing the older file into the Legacy profile folder. They both render identically.
Are you sure you didn't create them by accident using the same CCPP image file? The other possibility is that the two "different" lighting conditions were actually close to the same color temperature and tint. Upload the two CCPP raw files used to create the V1 and V2 profiles and I'll take a look at them for differences.

UPDATE: I renamed the two profiles Colorchecker Classic Standard-1 and Colorchecker Classic Standard-2 using the X-Rite ProfileManager and now LR sees both in the Profiles folder. Next I renamed the profiles back to their original V1 and V2 names and they no longer appear together in the Profiles folder. This appears to be a bug when using the V1 and V2 descriptor in the profile name. I'll change the status for this post to 'Acknowledged.'

9692jdhzcq_inline-61e60f14-a7e0-4f77-b92a-ed8ee1827da9-391642339.jpg

234081s2kkuz_inline-76660753-c5fd-4f13-9e19-c807c831e39d-2041933197.jpg

Comparison of profiles using MS Word Compare
234081de3oaw_inline-f88dbc42-4a92-40e0-a34b-fcfa121b1ff3-574959864.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm glad you could reproduce what I had experienced and that you acknowledged this as a bug.

Furthermore, your screenshots show the Colorchecker Classic Standard V1 profile under the Legacy group and I had suppressed this group via the Manage Profiles... function in Lightroom's Profile Browser. After enabling the Legacy group I indeed found the Colorchecker Classic Standard V1 profile under that group. So the mystery of the non-appearing profile is solved, leaving only the mystery why Lightroom decides to show it in the Legacy group.

Thank you very much for your support, I now can work my way around this bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ad,

Thanks for reporting the issue.
We are able to reproduce it at our end.
We'll investigate it further to identify the root cause and get back to you with further details.

Thanks,
Bhargav

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Bhargav!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you use profile names ending in Adobe's profile version numbering method (v1, v2, etc.), then all but the highest number profile is put in to the legacy section (which is hidden by default).  If you don't like this feature, don't end your profile names in "v1", "v2", etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 25, 2019 Jun 25, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks for the confirmation. I used versioning to differentiate between experimental profiles, hence my problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate