• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Unable to Import Photos into new catalog without crash

Community Beginner ,
Oct 21, 2017 Oct 21, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yesterday I "upgraded" to the Lightroom Classic CC version. I began trying to import some photos into my library and each and every time it crashes after a little while and doesn't actually import them.

I thought I would start a new catalog, to see if there was something incompatible or wrong with my previous library, however that too crashes. I can import about 2-3,000 photos and then each and every time I go to import a new folder of images -- bam.  

I've tried importing small batches, also crashes. 

Extremely disappointed!

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018
Hi all,

This issue should be fixed in today's Lightroom Classic CC 7.2 version*. Please update your application and let us know if you still see this issue!

Lightroom Classic CC 7.2 is now available!

Thanks,
Melissa

Edit: Sorry about that - this issue is fixed for macOS with today's Lightroom Classic CC 7.2. We're still working on fixes for Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate
42 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Long shot, but did you try turning off GPU in Preferences > Performance?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Daniel, kindly provide your system details.
Also, please submit the crash reports of the crashes, for us to analyse further.

Thanks,
Abhishek

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Abishek. My details are
Macbook Pro (13-inch, mid 2012) OS Sierra 10.12.6
2.9 Ghz Intel Core i7
8 GB 1600 Mhz DDR3 RAM
Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 video card

All photos stored on external hard drive (Western Digital, 4 TB)

I have been submitting the error reports continuously since it started via the crash report button.

I have uninstalled the app and reinstalled it. I've then rebooted the computer.

Currently, I can import small batches of files. Any folder / import with > 4000 images will crash.  I've been trying to import 50000 images into a new Catalog since 8 am CST this morning. It's now 2 pm CST and I'm only about half way done. 

Please let me know if you need further information.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the info.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 22, 2017 Oct 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Daniel,

We are trying to replicate the issue internally. Could you please mention the image format and image size you are using?

Thanks
Mayuri

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 23, 2017 Oct 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mayuri - I am mostly using Canon's RAW, CR2 and some JPEG file types. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try importing from desktop folder and without smart previews.  Lightroom wouldn't import from small external or with Smart Previews.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am experiencing a similar issue except that when I try to open LR it causes the whole operating system to crash and the computer to restart.  There is no crash report generated to send to Adobe.  I'm using Windows 7 Home Premium o/s.  The system is unusable.  Seriously considering cancelling my subscription unless Adobe pulls its finger out and gets this sorted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jonathan, if Lr can bring down your operating system, it is indicating that you have some hardware or drivers issues that needs to be checked out.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom has only caused the operating system to crash since Adobe's 'upgrade'.  Prior to that it functioned perfectly without any issues.

Edit: All my drivers are up to date.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It just means that Lr Classic CC is now exposing the fault rather than the fault itself. Did you go to the vendors GPU driver site to download the update the driver? The Windows updates don't always pick up the latest driver updates. See https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-gpu-faq.html. If the driver updates still does not do it, try the Solution 2 described in the doc to manually force the GPU acceleration off for Lr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded LR Classic CC When I launched it for the first time it was unable to load my catalog. I had the error message, "Lightroom couldn't update the format of its catalog file because the file appears to be damaged"

I then opened LR 2015 which loaded the catalog with no problem reported. I then successfully backed up the catalog to a new location. I then tried to open this catalog in LR Classic CC but had the same error message as above.

Win10 1703 64bit 24GBRAM

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"When using Lightroom 6.7, Canon CR2 files generated with Dual Pixel Raw enabled require the 'Embed Original Raw File' option be selected when converting to DNG. For this reason, converting to DNG on import in Lightroom 6.7 is disabled for Canon Dual Pixel Raw files. This limitation does not apply to Lightroom 6.8 or later.
Lightroom 6.7 supports conversion of Canon DPR files to DNG when you use the lossy compression option. The original image data is not preserved in this case."
https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/multi/editing-canon-dual-pixel-raw-cr2.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Simon,

Thanks for your advice re: driver updates.  After downloading an update direct from the AMD website it seems to have fixed the problem.

Thanks for your help.  I am not technically minded and I was beginning to pull my hair out!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're welcome. Thanks for reporting back and good to know that you are on the right track.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've just come back from a friend who has a VERY similar setup and problem. LR7 on an older MacBook Pro, importing Canon CR2 files via card reader. LR would just close without an error message or anything. We reverted her installation to LR6 and the import went through without a hitch.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I downloaded LR Classic CC when it came out. It crashes sometimes when I'm importing from disk - just suddenly gone (no message). I open LR again, try the same import, and it works. Using iMac Mid-2010, ATI Radeon HD 4670 256 MB, OS X El Capitain 10.11.6. Thanks for any help!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The crash on import bug for Mac OS High Sierra users should be fixed with the update to version 7.0.1.
http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2017/10/lightroom-classic-cc-7-0-1.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2017 Nov 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having the same problem. Now on the fourth attempt at trying to import just over 500 images from a card and it takes a few then crashes. This is infuriating at such a busy time. Is there a solution yet? I’ve sent reports each time too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I got an email from them yesterday saying that they've been unable to replicate the problem..... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That’s so bad, I’m now on 6th attempt, it’s really not good enough. I’m not even multi tasking. Going to open the rest on my laptop which I haven’t updated yet, don’t have time for this. Thanks for commenting with your experience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was contacted by Adobe support. I allowed them online access to my computer. They confirmed my issue then downloaded my catalog, made some repairs, sent it back to me. I was then able to open my catalog successfully in LR Classic CC

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem - can't import anything and lightroom crashes. Bridge seems slow and problematic too but lightroom is useless now.  I have a surface pro with windows 10 - latest update. help!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Nov 05, 2017 Nov 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Donne, did you update to version 7.0.1 yet, or are you still using 7.0?

Check in Help / About Adobe Photoshop Lightroom Classic CC...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2017 Nov 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine initial install of Lightroom Classic CC was working okay. Normal use of program was speedier than before. But import of photos was a little slower. Since installing the update that included bug "fixes", I have had all sorts of trouble importing photos from my SD card. The current import of 120 or so photos has been in progress for about 30 minutes now and it's only imported 88 so far. I was only able to import those after going back to import with standard previews only option. I've tried several of the other options with and without GPU box in preferences checked, with and without various options in the import dialogue checked. And both the initial and the updated versions have some sort of glitch reading the files in my catalog when switching from Library to Develop module. And some photos just turn blank when I try to view them in Loupe view in the Library module. Can I reinstall the old Lightroom CC program? If so, will it open the current catalog that I'm using in Lightroom Classic CC? I'd hate to lose my edits since making the change.

Votes

Translate

Translate