• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Lightroom Classic: Very slow rendering in Develop module

Community Beginner ,
Apr 25, 2015 Apr 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi folks,just installed LR CC. Rendering in develop module is really slow. Eg. when I move between photos, it takes a good 3 seconds for the photo to fully render. Displays "loading" for about 2 seconds and then a further second or two before the image is fully rendered.This isn't happening in the Loupe view.This is with a new set of photos I just imported, and I had "build 1:1 previews" set during import.Is this an issue or have I got a setting wrong somewhere?It wasn't quite this bad on LR 5.ThanksDave
Bug Unresolved

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
75 Comments
Community Expert ,
Nov 19, 2015 Nov 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Karlis, there's an extra overhead in passing the data from the CPU to the GPU, which is why loading is slower with it enabled. It's a case of picking which is more important to you - loading speed or interactive speed. Rendered 1:1 previews won't help in the Develop module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Victoria - you're kidding! That couldn't be a final situation. It sucks my whole editing process all the time!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd love to say I was kidding, but everything in life is a trade-off. I hope they'll be able to optimize it further over time. If you're not using a 4k/5k screen, you might be better with it off.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Damn. I also use a 4K screen :-(

So for what are the (1:1) previews?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1:1 Previews are primarily used for checking focus in the Library module. If you don't need to zoom in the Library module, Standard size will do you fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any other suggestions to get a smooth workflow in the development module?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 20, 2015 Nov 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Enlarging the camera raw cache can help (in Preferences). It doesn't need to be too big.

Preloading the camera raw cache by rendering standard sized previews can help.

And keeping the original photos on a fast drive will make a good difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These may not be completely satisfying answers but you could disable using the Graphics Processor in the preferences and restart LR and bypass the card. Upgrading hardware with a faster channel to the GPU (and a faster GPU) is another option.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your suggestions but...

1. my cache is set to 25 GB
2. the standard-previes are alway rendered
3. the original photos are on my internal flash drive
4. if i disable the gpu the editing permance is horrible
5. i work with one of the fastest machines: a 8-core mac pro with a AMD FirePro D700 6GB VRAM, 64GB RAM, 1TB internal Flash

And the performance of Lighroom is still poor. Tell me please, whats going wrong?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish I could tell you that!

What specifically is 'poor'? How long does it take to load an image in Develop? To sliders-available stage? And to fully sharp stage? From what camera? What file format?

And compared against what? Compared against an earlier Lr version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm :-(

The working with sliders are fine... but the time till the image is load completely and fully sharp takes sometimes 1-2 seconds. I think it's to long for this highperformance hardware and the "little" raws (nef) from my nikon d750's

And the performance from the export to jpeg files are also very sloooow (compared against CaptureOne Pro 8).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Part of the loading time will depend on what you've already applied to the photos, perhaps as defaults or presets. Things like lens corrections, noise reduction, anything that builds a mask like highlights and shadows, dehaze, local adjustments, etc. can extend loading times. Are the photos at Adobe's defaults when they're taking 1-2 seconds, or with some settings applied?

For export, again, we need timings for comparison against known averages. You can 'turbo-charge' exports by splitting the export in a couple of batches and run them concurrently.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also without any editing presets (default settings) the images where displayed first for a very quick moment with flat colors, then with the "right" colors but pixled and at the end fully sharp – this takes maybe 2-3 seconds.

JPEG-Export in C1 takes a quarter or less as in LR 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here are a sample real time screen capture: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8uxa2icy0xj...

Is this the usual "speed" of lightroom? By the way: i work with a NEC 4K 32" display...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 21, 2015 Nov 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Karlis, if you are using the Wacom tablet, uninstall it completely. Alternatively, un-plug the tablet and back after after disabling some setting in the preference file. I do not remember the actual setting (not the GP alone). You may contact the online live help/assistance for details.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

nope... no difference with or without the wacom driver!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which OSX are you running? If you are on any of the last upgrades, then that's the culprit.I am on 10.9.5 and my system is 2007, yet no issues with LR CC after resolving the Wacom problem.
Heck! only if I could remember which of the preferences that I disabled, unplugged the Wacom and back; afterward I am laughing all the way. Try the help desk again and it is free.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on El Capitan. You're realy on 2007? Okay... i think we have different perspectives of "performance" 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes 2007, Does that sound strange? LR even the CC version is not a resource intensive app and you certainly don't need an 8-core system to get moving just fast.
Actually, what's the hurry? On a side note the El Capitan and its predecessor are not graphic friendly; some videographers and photographers running the state of the art Mac hardware have all downgraded to v 10.9. You may consider that option and put your blame on LR CC elsewhere, perhaps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 11, 2016 May 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reading this 12 months on and nothing has changed. Lr CC is imo still unusable. I plough through my weddings screaming at every single picture. I am also amazed that this has been released. I cannot wait until my quiet period so I can get this dinosaur out of my work process. http://www.simongrahamphotography.com/adobe-lightroom-is-a-bloated-overweight-monster-that-is-costin...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 25, 2016 May 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Turning this off SIGNIFICANTLY improved the performance of moving between photos in develop mode. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2016 Jun 01, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've had it with slow Lightroom CC and all the other issues like error reporting like "The image Appears to be Damaged". My PC might not be brand new, but with a Core I-7 CPU and 12 GB of Ram, the lag time is getting to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 12, 2016 Jul 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issues. LR just cannot handle large files in develop without bogging down completely. Turning off the GPU has no effect either. I have 32GB of RAM and a good graphics card so this should not be an issue. Very frustrating. LR was better in previous versions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 12, 2016 Jul 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Simon, It may help if we had your system info. Can you launch Lightroom and select Help > System Info... and copy paste the contents of that dialog in a reply?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 17, 2016 Jul 17, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fixed the "LR is ridiculously slow" problem by disabling all plugins in File --> Plugin Manager. I was having the same problem waiting up to 10 seconds for previews to display on a super super powerful desktop. 

Votes

Translate

Translate