• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: When will sync auto upright be fixed ?

Community Beginner ,
Jul 03, 2019 Jul 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I do a lot of photography with country lodges where uprights are vital. In a shoot i may edit 300-400 shots and the ability to use sync to automatically apply Transform auto uprights is huge to me.

For some reason this no longer works properly. 

Now when i try and sync apply this to several images it opts for the 'update' and not 'upright' - this usually causes the verticals to be wrong or badly wrong.

I'm using version 8.3.1 on Windows 10.

Is this a known bug or is there a fix to save me having to manually apply this on every image, even a keyboard shortcut would help for now !!

TIA,
Mike.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
18 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure you only sync the upright mode, not the other two options.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Johan - sadly that still reverts to 'update' not 'upright'. I tried both options independently 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What do you mean by "I tried both options independently'? There are three options in the Sync dialog. What you need to do is click on the 'Auto' button in the first image. And then click Sync and only check the 'Upright Mode', not 'Upright Transforms' or 'Transform Adjustments'. And maybe don't sync more than about 100 images in one go. I vaguely remember that there was a bug with very large numbers.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you applying any other settings in the 'Synchronize Settings' selector such as Lens Corrections? This will cause the synced files to show the 'Update' warning.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 04, 2019 Jul 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK Further findings - if i just sync 'upright mode' and nothing else it works. If i try and sync lens corrections at the say time this causes it to apply update not upright. 

So ultimately there is a problem still as both these settings need changing but apparently can't be synced together. If i sync lens correction after the upright mode sync it also changes it to update.

This is poor..... 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2019 Jul 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like a bug. What happens if you first sync lens corrections and then Upright? Doesn't that work?

By the way: if you always use lens corrections anyway, then you can add that to the camera defaults. That way it will be automatically applied to each image on import, so you don't have to sync it at all. Select an image, reset all settings, apply lens corrections and then choose 'Develop - Set Default Settings'. In the dialog that follows click the 'Update to Current Settings' button. Because this is a camera default, you'll have to do this once for each individual camera you use, but not for each lens.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 05, 2019 Jul 05, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Synchronize settings is applying Lens Corrections BEFORE Transform corrections. Since almost every other setting is affected by Lens Corrections it should be one of the first settings to be applied. I'd call this a bug as well. Adobe should be able to correct this by changing the order in which Transform corrections is applied in Synchronize Settings. The best workaround for now is as Johan has explained.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 08, 2019 Jul 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Both - will see if the workaround does the trick, presume it will slow the import process a tad but worth it.  Does anyone from Lightroom actually step in and help customers ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting your LR Default Develop settings to apply Lens corrections shouldn't slow down your import. In fact it prevents the need to rebuild the Library Previews when you apply them later after Import.
Does anyone from Lightroom actually step in and help customers ??
Both *Johan Elzenga and I are designated 'Champion,' which means we work directly with Adobe Staff who also monitor this forum. I will file a formal bug report with the request to apply Lens Corrections before Transforms when applying Synchronize Settings.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good evening, I see something that concerns me about the screen copy of Johan Elzenga ,, it must always tick 'Process Version', maybe this is the key to the problem, can that I am wrong !

Yves Crausaz, Suisse, retraité actif dans le monde de la photo et des arts graphiques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, but that's not the issue since all files were imported at the same time they all have Process Version 5 assigned. When the Lens Corrections Distortion settings are applied due to syncing with Lens Profile enabled it causes the 'Update' flag to be triggered.
The solution is as I stated above, "Adobe needs to correct this by changing the order in which Transform corrections is applied in Synchronize Settings." Lens Profile needs to be applied BEFORE Transform.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And nobody at Adobe, reads this article? We confirm this problem, it's not serious on their part.

Yves Crausaz, Suisse, retraité actif dans le monde de la photo et des arts graphiques.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 09, 2019 Jul 09, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes they do, but I've already filed a bug report directly to Adobe Engineering. There's no need for them to reply here until an update has been released that fixes this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 10, 2019 Jul 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Todd for filing the bug. We will investigate.

Regards,
Ganesh

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2019 Jul 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Ganesh.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Workaround made not a jot of differences till broken - this is really annoying me now.

Process version ticked again makes no difference.....costing me a lot time this bug

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works for me with LR 8.3.1 on Windows 10. You should have only Transform> 'Upright Mode' and 'Process Version' checked and all Lens Corrections settings unchecked.
Please show a screenshot of the Synchronize Settings selector window as below and explain in detail HOW you are applying the Sync Settings and what you are seeing AFTER it has been applied. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 11, 2020 Feb 11, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Updates to Lightroom Classic, Camera Raw, and the Lightroom Ecosystem were released yesterday and contain a fix for this issue.  Please install the appropriate update and see if it solves this problem. You can read more about the updates here.

Thank you for your patience. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate