• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Erroneous warning message on Catalog Backup

Explorer ,
Dec 09, 2016 Dec 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I now get a warning about  zipping backup catalog files larger than 4GB Even though the catalog file is only 1.6GB.   I'm running MacOS 10.12.1

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017
Adobe released Lightroom 6.9/CC2015.9 today.

This issue should be corrected in this release. Please give it a try and let us know if you see any further issues. 

Complete information about this update can be found at the Lightroom Journal: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2017/03/lightroom-cc-2015-9-now-available.html

If you don’t see the update in your Creative Cloud App, you can use the kbsc [Cmd/Ctrl]+[Opt/Alt]+[ R ]  to refresh your app. If you are a perpetual license holder, you can acc...

Votes

Translate

Translate
25 Comments
Community Expert ,
Dec 10, 2016 Dec 10, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can reproduce this, thanks Clee.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Victoria, are you filing a bug? 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did it on the 5th Rikk - LRD-4194203

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As usual, you are way ahead of me!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 11, 2016 Dec 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I seem to have run into this as well on basically a brand new catalog. I did 1 import and my catalog file on disk is only 8.4MB.
  • Mac 10.10.5
  • LRCC2015.8
I'm new to this forum -- Is there a way to actually follow that filed bug ticket? Or is that an internal identifier?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In windows 10  LR cc 2015.8 don't back up big catalogs at all.  My biggest is 3.7mt (lrcat -file).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See this solution document for a workaround: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/unable-to-back-up-catalog.html

Its a bug in calculating the catalog size to show this information. Its harmless otherwise, just select "don't show again" and continue. We have the bug with us and would fix it soon.

@Teuvo what you are describing is another issue. Copying from Adobe forums:
Our engineers are looking into this, looks like a double byte character issue in Lrcat file name. 
For a workaround, if you can remove any double byte character from cat name or could you please try the following
  1. Open Lightroom.
  2. Invoke Lightroom > Preferences... menu command
  3. When the Preferences dialog appears, select the Presets tab.
  4. Click on the button labeled “Show Lightroom Presets Folder...”
  5. Lightroom will reveal the root preset folder in the Finder/Explorer.
  6. Now goto Adobe Creative Cloud  and download the config.lua file and copy it into the root preset folder (under "Lightroom") at step 5. The config.lua file will reconfigure the old backup behaviour. 
  7. Relaunch Lr and follow your normal routines to reproduce the issue to see if it improves. 
  8. (Later)Remove or rename the config.lua from the root preset folder once the bug is fixed.
Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Dec 12, 2016 Dec 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's an internal bug ID Noah, but this thread will be updated when a fix is released, so as long as you're getting email notifications, you'll hear about it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgraded to Lightroom 6.8 and attempting to backup the catalog, I got a message saying my catalog is larger than 4GB and I need to use 3rd party software to decompress said catalog. As far as I can tell my catalog is only 2.23GB...??? Also, the dialog contained in the explanation contradicts itself by saying in 1st paragraph 6.1 and later doesn't compress catalogs larger than 4GB and then later in the narrative it claims that update 6.8 does compress catalogs greater than 4GB..?? So which is it and do I still need 3rd party software to decompress catalog?
see    https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/extract-large-catalog-backup-macOS.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Steve,
We are aware of this issue.
The error message appears for every operations, even if the catalog size is less than 4 GB.
Ignore the message in that case.

In 6.8, even if the catalog size is above 4 GB, Lightroom compresses it. In that case, you need to use a third-party zip utility to uncompress.

Thanks,
Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sunil

So when my catalog does become larger than 4GB, does this  uncompression occur during normal use, or just when the backup is needed for some reason? Also, how does someone employ the 3rd party unzip software.... once installed does it just run in the background? I have a macbook pro running 10.12.1

Thank you for your time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If your catalog is bigger, the backup will run just fine. If you need to RESTORE a backup, double clicking to unzip it won't work because the macOS can't unzip bigger zip files. You'll just need to download StuffIt Expander (free from the App Store) and drop the backup zip onto that app to unzip it. Nothing at all to worry about.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2016 Dec 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay thanks so much. Sounds easy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can ́t do the catalog backup. it says i don ́t have space or permission in the destination folder ans that i have to choose another. If i choose another, it dysplays the same message

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Make sure that you have enough free disk space on your system C: drive. For performance reason's, Lightroom would create a zipped catalog backup in your system %TEMP% directory during backup, and then move the result into your specified backup location. So you need to make sure that you have enough free space on where your %TEMP% directory is located.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 14, 2016 Dec 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I quit Lightroom, I get the dialog saying that it can't compress my catalog because it's 4 GB and there's a macOS limitation with Zip files. However, the warning seems to be incorrect because (a) my catalog is only about 1.5 GB, and (b) Lightroom does create a .zip file of it in the Backups folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 19, 2016 Dec 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have plenty of free space in the drives. It happened right after the updade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 27, 2016 Dec 27, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Closing LR, it asks if I want to backup, then it complains that my catalog is over 4GB.   Actually the catalog is 60meg and previews are around 160meg.   This is a BUG.   I think it did a compressed backup anyway, despite the erroneous warning.    Please fix this, it is worrisome.  Using LR 2015.8 CC latest version on a 2015 MacBook Pro.   Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 03, 2017 Jan 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4gb warning since up grade to the cloud plus photos importing up side down ....what next ????

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 18, 2017 Jan 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has the bug been rectified yet? I updated to v.6.8 last night and I have NO access to any of my catalogues, which I need.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, it's not fixed yet, but it's only a false warning message. It won't affect access to your catalogs at all. If you can't access your catalogs, there's something else going on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can access some parts but newer downloads just stop after 2 or 3 images have been downloaded. Never mind... I'll have to use back-dated stuff. Thanks for your prompt response. Tony

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 23, 2017 Feb 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/unable-to-back-up-catalog.html

THis is the Adobe help page that will fix the issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 24, 2017 Feb 24, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you so much Jeff. It has worked. It took too long from adobe to release the solution thought. Thank you

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 07, 2017 Mar 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Adobe released Lightroom 6.9/CC2015.9 today.

This issue should be corrected in this release. Please give it a try and let us know if you see any further issues. 

Complete information about this update can be found at the Lightroom Journal: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2017/03/lightroom-cc-2015-9-now-available.html

If you don’t see the update in your Creative Cloud App, you can use the kbsc [Cmd/Ctrl]+[Opt/Alt]+[ R ]  to refresh your app. If you are a perpetual license holder, you can access the update via Help>Updates...

Refer to this for any installation issues: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2013/06/keeping-lightroom-up-to-date.html#lrcc2015

Votes

Translate

Translate