• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Fails to import the GPS co-ordinates of many (but not all) of the movie files from my iPhone 7

Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I import video files from my iPhone 7, LR fails to import the GPS co-ordinates for many of them.  It does import the co-ordinates for *some* of them.  A simple ExifTool command easily extracts the co-ordinates for all the files, regardless of whether LR failed or succeeded.  There does not seem to be any obvious difference between the files that succeeded and the ones that failed.  

I am using LR 6.10.1 on Mac Sierra 10.12.5 and my iPhone is running 10.3.2.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017
Lightroom CC2015.12/6.12 was released today and should address this issue.  Please update your Lightroom to the latest version and let us know if you continue to see the issue. Thank you for your patience.

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2017/07/lightroom-cc-2015-12-now-available.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017
Hi Mark,

Thanks for reporting. We are working on this.

Thanks,
Smit Keniya
Adobe Lightroom Team

Votes

Translate

Translate
12 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark,

Thanks for reporting. We are working on this.

Thanks,
Smit Keniya
Adobe Lightroom Team

Smit | Lightroom Classic Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Smit - I look forward to the fix.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2017 Jun 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark - We'd like to invite you to our prerelease if you're interested in evaluating a fix for this issue. Let us know and we'll get you added.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 18, 2017 Jun 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey,

Thanks for your note - yes I am interested, please add me.

Regards,
Mark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC2015.12/6.12 was released today and should address this issue.  Please update your Lightroom to the latest version and let us know if you continue to see the issue. Thank you for your patience.

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2017/07/lightroom-cc-2015-12-now-available.html
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice!  I was running an ExifTool script to create a GPS track, then using Jeffrey Friedl's geoencoding plugin to import the track back to the videos.  It will be nice to be able to skip that step.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk,

What's the best way to correct this for video files already imported? Re-import them? Searching the forums I see lots warnings against re-importing files that have already been imported but perhaps that's not an issue for non-editable video files??

Thanks

-Ray

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nick,

I have dozens of videos with this problem and they are scattered in many different directories, I'm not convinced your method is easier than just re-importing the files, if that's even a good method to correct the problem.  Although even re-importing one at a time would be more time consuming then I'd like.

Thanks for pointing out these tools. Even if I don't use them to correct this issue, I believe I have other uses for them.

-Ray

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just realized that the '-r' option on the exiftool command tells it to run recursively through all the subdirectories.  So if you run it at the root of where you store your video files (e.g. ~/Movies on Mac or C:/Users/yourname/Videos on Windows), it will find all the files, and only extract GPS info from videos taken with an iPad or iPhone.

Then in Lightroom, you could go to 'All Photographs', Filter by attribute 'Videos', Select all, and run the Friedl plugin to match the geotrack with the videos.

I agree, it's a bit painful.  I'm glad they fixed the problem, anyway.

Cheers!

Nick

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2017 Jul 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rikk, Jeffrey and Smit - I will try this and get back to you as soon as possible.  Just going through a very busy period at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 23, 2017 Jul 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI - I still have the same problem with GoPro videos. My exiftool workaround works, but it would be nice if this were fixed for GoPro videos too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2018 Feb 05, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
All, after a bit of a hiatus, I have been able to test this now, and it appears that at least for my latest import the GPS data is being imported correctly now!  Thanks for the fix - much appreciated 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate