• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: LR4 doesn't display point curve adjustments made in LR3

LEGEND ,
Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating from LR3, LR4 has reset my tone curves. I use custom tone curves on almost every picture, and all my contrast treatments this way seem to have gone. Initially the previews were still the old ones, so I only noticed after opening several pictures in the develop module, just to see my meticulous tone curve adjustments be removed.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012
Lightroom 4.1 is now available on Adobe Labs:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/li...

Includes a fix for this issue, plus several other top issues and includes 5D Mk III support:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/li...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 228 Replies 228
228 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've written about this with illustrating screen captures here on my blog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also see this thread in Adobes forums: http://forums.adobe.com/message/42486...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got to go back to LR3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Chris. We've been investigating this issue throughout the day and hope to have an update soon. Thanks for your patience and all of the detail you've provided.

Regards,
Tom Hogarty
Lightroom Product Manager

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also did some testing. See my thread on Fred Miranda: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topi...

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lr4 resets tone-curve created in Lr3 (no process update!) when the tone curve is "inverted" (black render as white and vice-versa)

Contact me if you need a lr3 catalog to reproduce the problem

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR4 looses all my tone curves with D7000 images, not D300s ones!
Mauro Morando

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2012 Mar 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Tom, I appreciate the quick reaction, let me know if I can be of any help with tracking this down. One of my older catalogs is already part of the LR test suite, I seem to be good at finding these things...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR4 lost ALL of my tone curves last night. Needless to say with over 30,000 in catalogs this amounts to a catastrophic mess. Completely blew away LR4 and spent the rest of the evening restoring to LR3.6 How in the heck was this not caught in testing? Very poor standard work to allow such a miss to get into production code. Irritated doesn't quite describe what I'm feeling at the moment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The conversion of a Lightroom 3.6 Library to Lightroom 4.0 has a problem.
The tone curve applied in ver.3.6 is not taken in the conversion process to ver.4.0. The curve is set just to "medium contrast", and the settings applied in the ver3.6 are not transfered.
In my case I have been applying the setting "Lineal" over the last years. In many cases of course the tone curve manually set. My in between more than 60.000 pictures have not been taken properly during the conversion process to Lightroom 4.0.
Please correct asap. So far I will have to continue working with version 3.6 due to this bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i would like to stress that this problem IS NOT RELATED to the 2012 develop: it happen BEFORE and the 2010 settings (tone curve and ...???) are not retained.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So, it's an option to resume using 3.6 until this is fixed?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

http://imgur.com/a/4eIgN

In LR4 after upgrading catalog from LR3.x

Image one is how I edited it in LR3

Image two is after clicking the ! and setting the camera cal from 2010 to 2012. Notice how the numbers stay the same in tone curve, but the medium contrast is reset to linear.

Image three is same as image two, but I switched linear back to medium after the conversion.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got the same issue. I just wondered when I've read this thread, but then checked it myself. I save my settings in xmp-files, so I hoped this bug wouldn't affect my pictures, my camera is a Canon 450D.

But when i opened a picture with a point-curve in LR4... same problem as Chris. No switch to 2012 so far. I only imported my LR3 catalog.

I nearly freaked out, because in this moment I thought: What have I done? All work lost, because the settings are saved now by LR4 in the xmp-file?

I closed LR4 immediately and opened my old version 3.6 catalog in LR3 and the point curve was still there.

LR4 is unusable with this bug. Sorry for that. But I switch back to LR3 until this gets fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're currently working on a solution to this problem. Please let me know if you would like to be contacted via email to help us test this solution before we distribute it more broadly.

Regards,
Tom Hogarty
Lightroom Product Manager

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a second Lr3 catalog I can use for testing

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Tom, I would love to get my hands on the fixed test version, so please contact me by email and I'd be happy to help to test.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 08, 2012 Mar 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just installed LR4 and converted my catalog. Then I read the article in Chris' blog.

I immediately checked my installation and indeed I experience just the same bug.

All my tone curves are completely off although I did not even convert a single image to the new processing engine.
Hence there is nothing we can do to keep LR3 pictures with altered curves without reediting them again.
This is obviously not acceptable.

I can't believe no one really noticed that before.

Please fix this bug ASAP!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds good. Just drop me an e-mail. I will be in at home this evening and I would be happy to test the hotfix and to help this problem to be fixed soon.

By the way, the old catalog v3 doesn't seem to be affected by the import procedure. Is that right? And I can overwrite a catalog with a backup catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've probably found a sort of workaround!
I've made some "organized" tests and here I report my findings.
Using LR3.5, I prepared a "test catalog" using 4 images from 7 different cameras (28 images total): for each of them, I used both the original nef and the dng converted file (56 files in the catalog), all develop process was set to "2010".
The cameras were Nikon D70, D90, D200, D300s, D700, D5000, D7000.
I applied a strong tone curve to each image in a way that the appearance was heavily characterized.
Before exit LR3.5, I SAVED ALL THE METADATA TO THE FILES.
Opening and converting the catalog using LR4, doesn't show any visual change until I zoom in library or open the develop module: both these operation lead to a flat image with the strong tone curve lost.
Curiously, the history retains the original steps but they are ineffective: histogram and tone curve changes according to the visual change but for some camera the "new" tone curve is "medium contrast", for others (D5000, D90) is "linear", for D300s is "custom" (linear with blacks cut at 9.8%, and this explain my initial impression that D300s's curves were untouched, sorry). This last behavior may depend on the fact that I've different default develop settings depending on the camera serial number.
Finally, the update to the 2012 process only minimally changes the visual appearance and surely doesn't restore the lost tone curves.
And here is the UNEXPECTED WORKAROUND: doing a READ METADATA FROM FILES IT RESTORES THE TONE CURVES (and the 2010 process)! Upgrading the process to 2012 minimally changes the visual appearance again but now the strong tone curve is present and evident.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes please, contact me, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please note that the above workaround restores the original tone curves but the history steps remain wrong (without a real effect) and you loose the ability to go back in the develop process step by step. Obviously you can reset the setting and restart with the default ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes please

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,