• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: LR4 doesn't display point curve adjustments made in LR3

LEGEND ,
Mar 06, 2012 Mar 06, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After updating from LR3, LR4 has reset my tone curves. I use custom tone curves on almost every picture, and all my contrast treatments this way seem to have gone. Initially the previews were still the old ones, so I only noticed after opening several pictures in the develop module, just to see my meticulous tone curve adjustments be removed.

Is anyone else seeing this?

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012
Lightroom 4.1 is now available on Adobe Labs:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/li...

Includes a fix for this issue, plus several other top issues and includes 5D Mk III support:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/li...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 228 Replies 228
228 Comments
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2012 Mar 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

you may contact me to test the solution before distribution

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2012 Mar 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please contact me too, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 09, 2012 Mar 09, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

in the Lightroom Adobe Forum
http://forums.adobe.com/thread/971408
Michael Frye noticed that this way you can restore the tone curves for the "real" images but not for VIRTUAL ones. The following is an (unpractical) workaround for managing virtual images.
You can add a "buffer" image (a real one!) to both the LR3 and LR4 catalogs then, with both Lightroom opened:
1. in LR3, copy and past develop settings from the first virtual image to the buffer (real) one, then "write xmp data to file";
2. In LR4, "read metadata from file" for the real image, copy develop settings from it and paste them to the same virtual image.
Obviously you can use only one buffer image for all your virtual images but ... good luck if their number is more then 10... 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I see the problem as well.
I ad some particular pictures where I played a lot with the tone curve.
When I clicked on the filmstrip on that image the tone curve was gone and the picture reverted back to no tone curve at all.... :(
Marco

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This wouldn't have been possible with proper beta testing procedures.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seems to be bug in the way LR 4 treats Default settings from LR3. I used these to set a linear tone curve for every picture. If this was subsequently changed in any way (with my workflow by Synchronising Settings) then it seems to convert okay.

If I hadn't changed the tone curve from the defaults then LR4, reverts it to the current defaults - ie a Medium Contrast curve.

Sometimes I can get around this by resaving my defaults for a camera in LR4, but not always.

A work around that seems to always work is to convert the LR3 catalog into LR4. Then go back to the LR3 catalog and Save the Metadata of the selected images to xmp files (Photo>Save Metadata to File)then in LR4 Import Metadata From File.

Bizarrely you need to convert the catalog into LR4 before saving the LR3 metadata, you can't just do this from the existing xmp!

This does give an import from disc entry in the history though, so not a perfect work around. Best to wait for Tom Hogarty's workaround.

(Tom, please contact me on steve at stevedavey dot com if you would like me to trail the fix.)

Steve

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please contact me as well. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please add me to your test list. I use the point-curve to adjust many of my images. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Tom,

please contact me as well. msz@msz.eu.
Thanks a lot!
Marco.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes please. feel free to contact me at msz@msz.eu
Thanks! Marco.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,
Mar 10, 2012 Mar 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So 3 days are gone and you still have no solution? May be this leaves room for hope that this time you apply proper quality checks before handing out some code with potential other collateral damage...

Please inform me by eMail of any update, especially a true solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This has nothing to do with default settings in LR3.
LR4 just does not read the LR3-database entries, but overwrite them as if it would be a new import.

Forcing LR4 to read metadata from file of course overwrites that again, if you have something to read from. Which you don't in case of virtual copies.

The workaround is to save to xmp while still in LR3, before any catalog conversion.
And import your LR3-catalog into LR4 only once this crazy bug will be fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but that's not right. I always worked with xmp in LR3 and I have this bug, too.

I imported the catalog from LR3 and all my curves were lost although I used xmp all the time!

Sure, perhaps I could have LR4 read all the metadata now for all of my pictures but... is it save? Will the settings be set right? Do I want to risk any strange behaviour of LR4 again and loose all my time?

I bought a program not a workaround.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just wait for Adobe to provide a solution, as Tom said above.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You did not use your LR3-xmp, when you upgraded the catalog by LR4.
That just converted the LR3-catalog recoreds into LR4-catalog records, with the exception of the tone curve settings. Which why there is now a default value in, no matter which PV.

My statement is correct. But I would not consider it safe.
My best advice is: cherish your last LR3-catalog version and go to LR3 if you need something from it.
Use LR4 only for new imports, if at all.

I share your frustration. Especially Adobe's approach to their friendly supportive beta-testing community: why did they have to shut them out of catalog-upgrade testing?! This is arrogance.
And now all customers pay for it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The good thing is, that the import of the LR3 catalog into LR4 doesn't modify the LR3 catalog. You just have to check the pictures you selected in LR4 after the import and take a look in LR3 if any settings were modified by LR4. I have read Chris' post very early so I was able to prevent LR4 from modifying my metadata.

I can understand Adobe. They want to keep their product safe. But... then I expect some faster reaction to such critical bugs.

I bought a product and can't use it. If it would be a car, that car would have been taken back to the car dealer. No matter if the product is cheap or established compared to others. It's a matter of trust.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Mar 11, 2012 Mar 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom (Hogarty)
I was also just about to do the upgrade from 3.6 Beta but am very concerned that I will give myself a big problem.

Can you confirm if Adobe are recommending that users WAIT to carry out the upgrade until this issue is resolved please?

Please also add my email edwardjohnallen@gmail.com to the list of people to be updated on this issue.

Thanks
Edward

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 11, 2012 Mar 11, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Seriously, it's been almost a week. I bought LR4 before the weekend because I expected to be transferring files and editing my next shoot in LR4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 12, 2012 Mar 12, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@cornelia Ippers - disagree! I always write changes to xmp, but this has not had any effect on the import, unless you resave xmp in LR3 after conversion and then update from xmp in LR4.

I still think that it is something to do with the new catalog not importing default tone curve settings. If I go to my LR4 catalog and resave defaults, many of the rogue tone curves correct themselves, although some don't.

Going to do a bit more investigation today

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Honestly, I do not think this is serious, as I believe there's no permanent damage done as long as you keep your old catalog. But it is annoying and embarrassing for the guys at Adobe's. Anyway, please take your time and fix it properly. And keep us happy by updating us on the progress. Also, if you need someone to test, I volunteer.
Cheers
Henrik

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: Those that have volunteered to help test a solution should have received an email from me earlier today with a proposed fix. I'll gather feedback on that solution and we'll then work to distribute it more widely.

Regards,
Tom Hogarty
Lightroom Product Manager

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, I see. Just a day to late 🙂 Good luck with the fix!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Tom
good to see you are taking this seriously, but can I ask if you would recommend that users who have not already upgrade catalogues wait until the core program has been altered to include the bug fix?

I just don't want to walk into a problem if there will be proper fix soon.

Please confirm

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

First glance at the script: I was surprised that so few photos ended in the collection. So I looked for others in the LR3 catalog that had individual curve settings to see whether they were passed over - no, the curve settings were there. Now I can't say whether they were corrected by the script or didn't have the problem before. I will have to convert the catalog again. Will be back.

BTW: What scripting language is this? Can I use it for my own work?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, did what I promised. Converted the catalog again. Found my test-image with a curve setting of 0/0/-3/-13/Linear - so the values weren't lost.

But: the process still is 2010, when I switch to 2012, something odd happens. The settings get changed to 0/0/-3/-13/Custom and curve and image are looking wrong.
This image is not picked up by the script.
Henrik

Votes

Translate

Translate