Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Pixelated or blurry preview in Library Loupe LR 4.3

Community Beginner ,
Dec 20, 2012 Dec 20, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Sometimes in the Library module, the image displayed is pixelized, this often happens when I go back to a already reviewed image:

If I zoom to 100% then unzoom, the image appears sharp again.

This bug was not affecting LR versions <= 4.2 and is quite blocker for a photographic tool IMHO

Thx.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

LEGEND , Feb 27, 2013 Feb 27, 2013
It is already fixed in the release candidate of 4.4 that you can download today from the Adobe Labs website. Hopefully, it won't be broken again when 4.4 final is released. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jan 13, 2013 Jan 13, 2013
I believe this is a side effect of a performance optimization. The team's aware of it and looking at ways to improve this.

Votes

Translate

Translate
23 Comments
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW Here is the result of zooming/dezooming

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another sample:

correct version:

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 22, 2012 Dec 22, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can see it too in 4.3, but not in 4.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 25, 2012 Dec 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here with 4.3 using OS X 10.7.5. The problem did not occur with 4.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 31, 2012 Dec 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have raised a similar (though not identical) problem in topic: "Lightroom: Monitor 2 stops updating in Develop LR4.3 W7-64. " I don't know if they are related, though I am pretty sure I have seen exactly this too, where a low resolution display is replaced by a medium resolution one, but it never makes it to a high resolution version. It doesn't happen to me every time though.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 31, 2012 Dec 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever since upgrading to Lightroom 4.3, I've been having problems with standard previews in Loupe mode occasionaly being pixelated. This seems to happen randomly for some images. When I move from one image to another using the arrow keys in Loupe mode, sometimes an image's preview is pixelated. When I move past it, then back up to it, it looks fine. If I continue backing up, then go forward to it, it will look pixelated again. The preview is fine, but for some reason Lightroom shows it as a pixelated smaller preview sometimes, but only when going in a certain direction. Sometimes it's when I go forward to the image, sometimes when I go backward.

Mac OS X 10.7.4
Mac Pro 8x 2.8GHz (Early 2008 model)
ATI Radeon HD 5770 video card
Apple 30" Cinema Display
Lightroom 4.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 02, 2013 Jan 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking through the forums, it seems like the problem of blurry images being displayed in Library mode that look sharp in Develop mode or exported as a jpg has been reported a number of times before. I seem to have found a way to reliably reproduce the problem which I have not seen mentioned anywhere so I thought i would pass it along. It seems that if I view an image the Library module that is vertically oriented and then switch to viewing an image that is horizontal, the horizontal image looks blurry. If I switch to another horizontal image and then back to the blurry one, it now looks fine. This happens very consistently. The zoom level I am using is 'fit' which does seem to make a difference (the problem doesn't happen at any other zoom level). Hopefully this helps someone track this down and fix the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 02, 2013 Jan 02, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. I've added your notes to the bug database.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 03, 2013 Jan 03, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem also appears if I switch images while within the Print module - preview is blurry. It is impossible to accurately judge a potential print with this bug (I assume it is a bug!)This happens every time I do this; switching to a different print template is fine though.

Using a brand new iMac, Mountain Lion and 16 GB RAM.

Please fix this, Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 04, 2013 Jan 04, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am noting a similar issue. I thought some of my photos were blurry. Then I zoomed 1:1, and they were fine, zoomed out: Not blurry anymore.
If I zoom in, or select "render 1:1 preview", it goes away.
Yet my standard (not 1:1) preview dimensions are larger than the screen I am viewing on, and it only happens occasionally (1 in 20?).
Changing between photos with different orientation, as mentioned by Rebecca, does seem to triggering
Note, this is all occurring on my 2nd display.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 05, 2013 Jan 05, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update-using a solution suggested in another topic, I deleted Previews cache and restarted LR and this seems to have fixed the problem (for now).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 10, 2013 Jan 10, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm this observation. Perhaps I can add that it happens when a photo is viewed after a image that has been rotated in lightroom.

In fact, only if the rotation is +/- 90°.
Between two pictures that have been rotated the problem doesn't appear.
So it occurs when lightroom changes the rendering mode.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 11, 2013 Jan 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, this didn't fix the problem for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 13, 2013 Jan 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have to agree with you John, the problem has re-appeared.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 13, 2013 Jan 13, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe this is a side effect of a performance optimization. The team's aware of it and looking at ways to improve this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 14, 2013 Jan 14, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just been referred to this forum from the adobe community forum for lightroom. I have to say that I am almost at the end of my teather. I am not an IT nerd and don't want to be. I previously used LR3 to catalog my photos and PE 9 to work them and was happy. But after a lot of advise and promotion I was talked into LR4 to catalog and develop-" make the change and you'll never look back"
First my computer crashed -it couldn't handle the raw files and LR4 ran so slowly it was unworkable. I spent hours trying to optimize its performance without success. So now I bought a whole new system- 64 bit 3.4GHz quad core processor, 16mg ram,2TB hard disk, even a separate solid-state disc to run LR4
So now the very basic function of Lightroom- the ability to scan ,rate and delete a shoot cannot be relied upon.
I agree with some of the above comments- it seems to be random photos and I feel is something to do with the rendering.( I don't take vertical orientation so have not made that association).I would describe it more as a focus issue(burry) than a pixelation. If I take the loupe view in Library and go to develop then the image focuses. If I take the blurry image in loupe view in library and zoom 1:1 then zoom out it is fixed. Last night I took a shoot of 95 images of which 1/3 were blurry and I renderered the lot as standard-sized previews and this fixed about 80% of them but not all.
Also I have been rendering 1:1 on import as I was told this would help LR4 performance - so am not sure if this is a factor
So sorry for the ranting but I just want to get on with it.
Also how will i know if this is a bug or just a problem (as i suspected) with my setup.
Do i have to keep scanning the multitude of forums?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jan 15, 2013 Jan 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A definitively get a pattern when a picture is rotated +-90 from its original file orientation. Do you make other changes over the original file. (Metadata, Virtual copy, Rating)?

By the way: has somebody checked if the issue is raw related or if it appears on jpg files as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 15, 2013 Jan 15, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have only noticed it with the DNG files. But I haven't really done any work with jpeg lately. I don't make virtual copies and I don't rate them before I'm sure re quality of the image (which is actually the issue)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 26, 2013 Feb 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Must be fixed in 4.4 RC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 26, 2013 Feb 26, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good to hear from you again Dorin. The problem is unchanged and have heard nothing from adobe. Are you just assuming that they are working on it and it will be fixed in 4.4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Feb 27, 2013 Feb 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is already fixed in the release candidate of 4.4 that you can download today from the Adobe Labs website. Hopefully, it won't be broken again when 4.4 final is released. 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 27, 2013 Feb 27, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've juste tested the 4.4RC and yes, this bug seems to be gone!

thx.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 06, 2013 Oct 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Got Lightroom 5.2 with Ph CC and most of my thumbnails and previews, develope, you name it, are a mess. All was fine when I used L 4 & updates. Have used Picaso for years for simplicity & edited in Ph 2 - 6. Have tried L 5.2 because it was free with Ph CC but after this fiasco & what seems like no attempt to fix it, shall go back to Picaso and leave others to sweat it out. My only problem with Picaso is that it is not intuitive to get to Ph CC or Qimage for editing and printing.

Votes

Translate

Translate