• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Refuses to import certain pictures with metadata modified by Picassa

LEGEND ,
Jul 08, 2011 Jul 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello there, i spent 3 hours trying to get lightroom work. But ended up really frustrated. Lightroom keeps saying that it is not able to import my images for what ever reason. That is really annoying and frustrating. Why can't lightroom import my pictures?

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
10 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe post a screen grab of the error message?

Lr version 3.4.1? OS - Win or Mac?

Any more details you can think of that might be helpful? (most people are not having this problem, so any additional information you can provide would no doubt help).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What camera/file format are the images?

What warning or error does it display?

Do you have the latest version of Lightroom installed? (Choose Help>Updates... to get Lightroom 3.4.1)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 11, 2011 Jul 11, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I'm using the latest version of Lr on a Windows 7 PC.
The file format of the images is JPEG.

The images are from different cameras. But I will look it up in more detail this evening when I'm back home.
The error message is something like Unable to import image. File is broken.
But I will look it up in more detail.
Also Lr was not able to show the preview of this images.

It may also help to know that only some pictures from different cameras cannot be imported.
And that the images are not really damaged because I'm able to open these pictures with other applications.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it be OK for someone to contact you directly to get a copy of some of the affected files if that becomes necessary?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you transferring direct from the card? Via Reader or Direct Connect to Camera? A bad cable or reader could be your culprit-especially if you are seeing this with multiple cameras and a single transfer hardware item.

If you copy the files via Windows to a spot on your hard drive do they import ok then?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm transferring the images from a home server. The directory of the home server is embedded in the windows file system.

But i don't think that it is a network problem, because after importing multiple times always the same images are broken.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a vague recollection that some other photo apps (Picasa was mentioned, IIRC) can mess with the metadata in such a way as to cause Lightroom problems in validating the file. Could something like that be the underlying problem here, or are these SOOC files that have been simply uploaded from camera to server?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 12, 2011 Jul 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

it might be that Picasa causes the trouble. Because some of the images where edited with Picasa. But some of the edited images can be be imported. And the images that cannot be imported have only been viewed with Picasa and not edited.
So I'm not 100% sure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 12, 2011 Jul 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It might be worth looking at some of the threads over on the Google/Picasa forum, to see if these issues have any relevance to your issue:

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p...

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jul 16, 2011 Jul 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
That seems to be the problem. Does anyone now if there will be a fix in Lr that will allow Lr to import these images anyways.

Or if there will be a bugfix from google.

I still don't understand why Lr cannot import the pictures if there is "only" an error in the exif xml. Lr costs a lot of money. I would expect such a application to be able to deal with something like that.

Votes

Translate

Translate