Welcome Dialog

Welcome to the Community!

We have a brand new look! Take a tour with us and explore the latest updates on Adobe Support Community.

Lightroom: Reimport hangs if uppercase extension files are exchanged for lowercase extension (Win7)

1 Vote
Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2012 Mar 26, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR4 (trial) import hangs during import of files if extension has been changed from uppercase to lowercase on Win7 x64 machine. For example: I imported several files named P1000830.RW2, P1000831.RW2, .... Afterwords the file extension was changed to lowercase outside of LR. When reimporting the files (*.rw2) while the old files (*.RW2) were still in the LR Library, the import hangs.
Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Desktop

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , May 31, 2012 May 31, 2012
This bug has been fixed in the Lightroom 4.1 release, available now. To get Lightroom 4.1, go to the Help menu in Lightroom and select Check for Updates, then follow the prompts. Or, you can download Lightroom 4.1 from adobe.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate
9 Comments
LEGEND ,
Mar 27, 2012 Mar 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cannot reproduce.

Win7 x64.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 27, 2012 Mar 27, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lars wrote, "When reimporting the files (*.rw2) while the old files (*.RW2) were still in the LR Library, the import hangs."

Which commands exactly did you give to do the reimport?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2012 Mar 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can reproduce the problem. This looks like another instance of a long-standing LR problem not handling the case of filenames properly.

Detail steps to reproduce:

1. Make a new folder with two files, a.jpg and b.jpg (lower case).

2. Do File > Import Photos, Add, and import just a.jpg.

3. In a Command Prompt, do “ren a.jpg a.JPG” (change the extension to upper case).

4. In the LR Folders panel, right-click the folder and do Synchronize Folder, with the Show Import Dialog option selected.

5. Note that both a.JPG and b.jpg are shown, both checked.

6. Uncheck b.jpg and click Import.

7. LR gets stuck showing “Import files...” in the center of the view. The upper-right corner shows a task “Import files at their current location” still running.

8. Wait as long as you want, and then cancel the task.

9. Notice that File > Import Photos is now greyed out, and if you right-click the folder in the Folders pane, the Synchronize Folder command is no longer shown.

Most likely, the internal task doing the synchronize in step 6 got confused, threw an internal error that wasn’t shown to the user, and the user interface was left in an inconsistent state.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2012 Apr 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you John for your input and your efforts of reproducing the error. :-)

That is very similar to how I did it. I have since reproduced the problem -- this time with jpg and JPG extensions as you did it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2012 Apr 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please try again, Win7 x64.
See the extensive comment by John R Ellis, and my confirmation.
I'm pretty sure you will be able to reproduce the error.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Apr 03, 2012 Apr 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks John and Lars - I was able to reproduce the problem with the information you provided, and have logged a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,
Apr 03, 2012 Apr 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good, thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great. Thank you. Good to know it was not an "imaginary" problem on my part. It may seem a minor problem, though very disturbing when it occurs. Hope you find a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
May 31, 2012 May 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
This bug has been fixed in the Lightroom 4.1 release, available now. To get Lightroom 4.1, go to the Help menu in Lightroom and select Check for Updates, then follow the prompts. Or, you can download Lightroom 4.1 from adobe.com.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines