• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P : Selected Published Folder or Collection is not deselected if a folder is selected

LEGEND ,
Sep 04, 2015 Sep 04, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[Note from John R Ellis: This was reported fixed in 2015.8, but there have been numerous reports of the symptoms coming back since then: See later posts in this topic.]

It may sounds confusing, but when I select one collection or a published folder and go back to Folders and pick up one folder, Lightroom does not deselect that collection or published folder and I can not go back to that collection until I select another collection.A folder in Folders section is deselected when a collection or published folder is selected.I'm using LR CC 2015.1.1

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018
Hi All,

This issue is resolved in latest Lightroom Classic CC release 7.4
Please let us know if you still face this issue. Either on Win or Mac.

Also it would be great if you could let us know the exact steps if you still face it.

Regards,
Sumeet

Votes

Translate

Translate
66 Comments
New Here ,
Jul 11, 2018 Jul 11, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear readers,

I have my side panels set to "Solo Mode". Have a smart collection containing pictures to be culled. I open this smart collection, being in Grid View. Then I rightclick the first picture and choose "Go to folder in library". Which is in grid view as well.
I then cull all pictures in this folder. In the left hand panel the folder containing these pictures is selected. After finishing this I return to my smart collection by opening the collections tab in the left panel. So far so good.
Strangely I notice that the smart collection is still selected! Clicking on this smart collection doesn't change the pictures in gridview - it still shows the pictures in the previously selected filefolder. The picture shown in the Navigator is correct, by the way. In order to see the proper contents of this smart collection I first have to click on another collection and return to the "unculled" smart collection.
Not a big problem, but probably easy to correct as well.

Kind regards / vriendelijke groet,

Jetze

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm on the same version Just Shot Me,

Lightroom Classic version: 7.4 [ 1176617 ]License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition
Version: 10.0.17134

Just to make it worse, tonight I can't reproduce Lightroom's behaviour which was pretty consistent yesterday. So there must be another factor.

I was pointed at this link describing the very same glitch: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom-selected-published-folder-or-collec... being 3 years old and previously reported fixed.....

Kind regards,Jetze

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sumeet,
Glad you've picked this up. Yesterday I could not reproduce it. Just a couple of minutes ago I had a similar situation. See screen dump. In order to visualize it I left "Solo mode". So I can confirm solomode is not needed for this to happen.
What happened was this:I noticed there was a picture in the "Photos that failed to export" folder in de Catalog section. So I went there to have a look what is was. After that I wanted to resume my work going to se Collections sections clicking on the smart collection "Label rood". Lightroom failed to show the pictures it contains. Hovering my mouse over the collection changes the picture shown in the "Navigator" section, and shows a correct picture. To get out of this situation I click on any other collection (other than "Label Rood" and than select "Label Rood" and I'm fine again.
How can I record a kind of film of the actions I'm taking?

Hope this helps.
Kind regards Jetze
RackMultipart20180711122761ask-fbbf4f8b-9e02-49d7-baf0-8bf2a8ab1ae6-1842437016.PNGRackMultipart20180711122761ask-fbbf4f8b-9e02-49d7-baf0-8bf2a8ab1ae6-1842437016.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Fair enough Just Shot Me,
The behaviour of LR is exactly the same. But happily I am able to reproduce - from collection > folder > and back. I found out how to make a simple screen recording. Only do not see how to upload it here.

How to upload a 22.5MB file from disk here?

Kind regards Jetze

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 14, 2018 Jul 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alright, hope you can view the short vid's I took from this glitch.
OneDrive link to screenvideo1 of this glitch: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AtlNmnxq2btxebnOjAJH23pKghU, and a link to a second video: https://1drv.ms/v/s!AtlNmnxq2btxekbtb2NSLJYolR8
Hope this works as it is my first time to use Dropbox so please give a sign if these two files are not visible to you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jetze,
No problem with the files (OneDrive, not Dropbox).

Thanks for making clear that this bug that has allegedly been "fixed" 2 or 3 times is still there with version 7.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Sumeet,

Please remove the Solved tag as the latest post from Jetze demonstrates that the problem is still there with version 7.4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The following screen capture made in LR 7.4 shows that it is still possible to have a folder and a collection simultaneously selected in the Library module, exactly as before :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n06ab0zbxo06vm0/LR_UI_bug.jpg?dl=0

It should not be that difficult to add a step in the folder/collection tree management code : when a click is received, wherever it happens, first deselect the currently selected object . I certainly wouldn't need 3 years to achieve this. IMHO, there's a big UI design flaw here.

It's easy to reproduce. I followed the same steps as Jetze.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, I'm almost sure that there's a relationship with the bug reported here :

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/-7-3-new-bug-with-smart-collections?topic-rep...
As mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm using Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 12, 2018 Aug 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not fixed on 7.4 running on Windows 7 x64.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 23, 2018 Aug 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem started happening again with me on LR 7.5 / Macos 10.13.6.  See this screen recording:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/js0ve39g6cqljo1/lightroom-source-bug.2018.08.23.mov?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have reopened the bug John. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A note for the developers :

https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/lightroom-ui-not-managed-as-a-finite-state-ma...

But I guess that managing a finite state machine using LUA can be a challenge.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,
Oct 16, 2018 Oct 16, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not fixed in LR 8.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 17, 2018 Nov 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yep, having the same issue here in LR 8.0. Very inconvenient to have to keep clicking other collections first to because one is already selected and doesn't allow to switch to it from a folder. 

How long before we can get a fix? A couple years? Four?

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Advisor ,
Nov 17, 2018 Nov 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Maybe they are still looking for the correct algorithm ? Let's help them a little (we are already doing the job of the quality assurance dpt. for free, we can certainly donate a little more of our time) :

- In Library mode, in the left panel, when giving the focus to another section (Catalog, Folders, Collections or Publish services), memorize the selected item in the current section and de-select it.

- In the panel section that has just been given the focus, retrieve the last selected item and select it.

Should work in Solo Mode. In non Solo mode, focus could be given when hovering a section.

That's it. No more 2 simultaneously selected items in the left panel. Don't bother Adobe, it's free advice. No invoice sent and the job can be done by a summer student (although I'm not ready to wait until yet another summer to get a fix).

Votes

Translate

Translate