• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Open as Smart Object in PS: LR and/or ACR mix stored settings in file and current LR settings

Enthusiast ,
Aug 12, 2011 Aug 12, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know whether this bug is a fault of LR or PS, so I tagged this problem with both products.

LR 3.4.1 and PS CS4, Windows XP 32 Bit SP3.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Select a RAW in develop module of LR
2. Delete all local corrections and spot removals
3. Draw some adjustment brush strokes
4. *** save metadata (Ctrl-S) ***
5. Delete all brush strokes
6. Open as Smart Object in PS, or alternativley Open in PS, with PS doing the rendering in PS-ACR (the bug does *not* happen when LR is rendering the image!)

Result: In PS, the deleted adjustment brush strokes reappear!

The same happens a) for a virtual copy made after step 5, and b) even after modifying some other settings, e.g. contrast.

And now for the funny thing: Adding a new different brush stroke will cause the image to be rendered *correclty* in a subsequent "open as smart object" or "edit in PS" (i.e. only the new, different brush stroke appears). *Deleting* all brush strokes will again make the old brush strokes reappear!

Note: As one would expect, the old brush strokes disappear in a subsequent "open as smart object" or "edit in PS" after the metadata are again saved to XMP. The same can be achieved by deleting the .XMP sidecar in case of a proprietary RAW file.

Theory: When a RAW ist passed from LR to PS together with the development settings to be rendered in Photoshop's ACR, the passed settings are somehow *mixed* with the settings stored in the XMP metadata of the RAW file (i.e. in its sidecar for proprietrary RAWs). When no brush strokes are present in the passed settings, PS-ACR will take the brush strokes from the XMP. This is of course wrong, because the XMP metadata may be outdated, or in case of a virtual copy may be even totally different. The XMP metadata has to be completely ignored by PS-ACR.

Note: This was also reported to be happening with PS CS5 as well. So it could be that the actual bug is not on the side of Photoshop/ACR, but already in LR where the settings get mixed. However, it could be photoshop, too.

Edit: Spot removal and graduated filter are affected in the same way (independently of one another). I didn't test the red eye correction.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 03, 2015 Feb 03, 2015
Fixed in CS6 and Lightroom 4 or later

Votes

Translate

Translate
2 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Aug 17, 2011 Aug 17, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's a good one. I can reproduce the problem, and have entered the issue in our bug database.

Thanks,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 03, 2015 Feb 03, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Fixed in CS6 and Lightroom 4 or later

Votes