P: 2nd Monitor image dullness after migrating to MacOS 10.11 El Capitan (profile issue)

6 Votes
Community Beginner ,
Oct 01, 2015 Oct 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I realize the following problem with Lightroom V6.1.1 after migrating my MacBook Pro to Mac OS-X El Capitan:
MacBook Pro Retina is the Main Monitor and NEC MultiSync PA271W is the 2nd Monitor.
Both Monitors are calibrated using Xrite i1 Profiler and I verified that the correct ICC-Profiles are associated with the Monitors (Mac OS-X System Configuration space).
In the Library Module everything is fine, but when I switch to the Development Module, the image on the 2nd Monitor gets dull after some seconds. Stepping forward one image, the image on the 2nd Monitor brightens up and gets dull again after some seconds.

Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

New Here , Sep 21, 2016 Sep 21, 2016
You'll need to update to MacOS Sierra 10.12 where the bug is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate
57 Comments
New Here ,
Jan 13, 2016 Jan 13, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has anyone tried the latest El Capitan beta (10.11.4)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 19, 2016 Jan 19, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sitrep: nothing improved for 10.11.3 (I only used the old profile though, didn't do a new calibration) which was released today.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2016 Feb 03, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would like support for version4 ICC-profiles, and table based profiles as well, with a monitor profile of any of those options the highlights in Lightroom, thumbnails, or the entire picture , go grey in the develop module.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 02, 2016 Mar 02, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 14, 2016 Mar 14, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any updates on this? I'm still having this problem after several months of waiting for fix. Very unacceptable!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately this is an Mac OS X issue that Apple needs to fix. Adobe Lightroom team has logged an Apple RADAR bug. It is still not fixed as our QE last check.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your reply. Ugh! I have a workaround but it sure inconvenient. Is there any way we can help by contacting Apple? (I doubt it would help!) This must affect quite a few photographers ...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have tried to escalate the issue with Apple, but no fix yet. If you talk to Apple support, mention Radar bug #22991323.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 24, 2016 Mar 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, here's me with the usual bad news: 10.11.4 has not fixed the issue (I'm on Lightroom CC 2015.5 with Camera Raw 9.5 for that matter)

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 25, 2016 Mar 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Really bad news. But thanks for the update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I believe you can workaround it somewhat by reducing the sample size of the LUT color table for the color profile (don't know what is the threshold) or using a matrix based color profile. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Reducing the size isn't possible with DispcalGUI as I said earlier in this thread (which is probably a bug with DispcalGUI, though). Matrix profile results in grayscale being far from neutral on my monitor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 26, 2016 Mar 26, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The same is applicable to BasicColor display software. Matrix profiles are worse than LUT based. And there is no option to manage LUT color table size.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 12, 2016 May 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

7 months with no result. It's a shame!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2016 Jul 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just upgraded to OS 10.11.6 and the bug is still there. I spent frustrated hours until I found this thread. Creating small Matrix based profiles with Xrite i1Profiler did the trick for now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 25, 2016 Jul 25, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Has someone tried OS X Sierra (beta)?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 20, 2016 Sep 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI, I'm using the i1Profiler display 2 and created both matrix and table profiles on a late 2012 iMac under Sierra (final) and CC 2015.7. I'm happy to report that the table profile works perfectly now! Yea!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 20, 2016 Sep 20, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great news! I'm going to upgrade pretty soon and will report back if everything is well for me too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 21, 2016 Sep 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC 2015.7 and OS 10.11.6, bug is still there. 9KB Matrix profile works, 1.3MB table profile doesn't.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You'll need to update to MacOS Sierra 10.12 where the bug is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perfect! Thanks for the update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 12, 2016 Oct 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I use DisplayCal and have had no problems since i switched to it when using El Capitan. However, since upgrading to Sierra, any large profiles created with DisplayCal dont work properly- pics viewed in finders preview show over dark shadows. It sometimes shows the correct images but after a second it changed to the more contrasty version. I suspect that it is applying the default profile when it does this. I can create a smaller profile using only a few patches and this solves the problem, but this isnt optimal. So frustrating that i have to waste time trying to solve this.... Does anyone else have this problem?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 24, 2016 Oct 24, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The issue isn't fully resolved in Sierra (just tested 10.12.1). I can see exactly the same behavior as Rowan mentioned. My LUT-based profile was created in basiccolor display and it works fine in Yosemite.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately, the bug isn't fully fixed even in 10.12.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting that you mention that. It works fine for me in LR (CC 2015), but I've noticed that if I export an image and view it at the OS level, all my shadows are blocked up. So... in my case it works in LR, but there's still an issue with Mac OS (Sierra 10.12.1).

What problem are you noticing?

Votes

Translate

Translate