• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: 4x6 print is inverse of on-screen selection when zoom to fill selected

Explorer ,
Aug 09, 2021 Aug 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have an image I want to print on 4x6 paper, actually, issue is present with any image. In the print module, with 'Zoom to Fill' checked, I select and drag/move the image to the composition I'd like... let's say the top part of the image, so that the bottom is cropped/not printed. When it prints, it prints including the bottom part of the image not in the visible cell on screen, cropping/not printing the top of the image that is visible in the cell on screen. In other words, the opposite of what I wanted.

Here's the odd part: if I drag the image in the opposite direction such that the bottom part is in the cell (so the top is cropped), it prints the image with the 'out of cell' top instead (it crops the bottom). In other words, the image that is actually sent to print is 'reverse' from what I want composed in the print cell.

This occurs on any of my printers (multiple brands), and also occurs if I print to Printer (send to printer or save as PDF) or JPG file.

I'm on an M1 MacBook (BigSur 11.5.1), and it happens on both the Intel and Apple Silicone versions. This is new behavior as I've not changed the print settings from the last time I printed images a few months back, before the last update.

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
17 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot replicate this on an Intel Mac.  

You may want to consider resetting your preference file to see if the problem fixes itself.

A Preference File will survive a Lightroom uninstall/reinstall. Sometimes weird behavior is corrected/cured by resetting the preferences.

Reset Procedure:

1. Close Lightroom.

2. Hold down [Alt/Opt]+[Shift] while restarting Lightroom.

3. Overwrite the Preferences when prompted by the dialog.

4. Close Lightroom.

5. Restart Lightroom.

Does the behavior continue after resetting the preferences?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Before I do that, will this blow away all my preferences... will any survive? (I'd like to screen shot relevant settings beforehand to get it back afterwards)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*glenn arango  see: http://lightroomqueen.com/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Followed both procedures, yours and linked, both did not change the behavior... it is still present.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have the images been flipped (horizontal or vertical) or rotated?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of them, yes. One of them no. 

For the one that was, I changed the page setup to portrait, which of course now showed the image on its side (had to select rotate to fill to get the landscape composition else it gives a portrait crop), but composing it left/right yielded the expected prints.

The other one though, I doubt it was take portrait and rotated in LR. I can get what I expect if I compose the print in portrait, but, I am pretty sure this is the 1st I've seen this behavior in the decade+ since using LR (been using since pre 1.0).

Edit: tested with a few more pics and most do the expected thing... except for these 2, where the expected behavior is that I get a print of what I see on screen, without needing to rotate or change print orientation.

This still doesn't feel right even though I can make it work... feels forced (and the only way I'll know it requires this additional step (setting to portrait) is after a failed print. Is there a setting that changed somehow or is this unexpected behavior?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps you could export those two errant photos as a catalog +originals, zip it and send it to me and I will see if I can make them misbehave here.  Is that possible?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I can do that... how?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 10, 2021 Aug 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Select the two files that are failing and place them into a collection "Invert on Print"
  2. Go to the Collection and select both files
  3. File>Export as catalog
  4. Choose option to include negatives.
  5. Zip that entire folder and put it someplace like Creative Cloud Synced files, Dropbox or similar.
  6. Share the link. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, I know how to export pics/negs/catalog, I meant how do I get it to you? I don't like the idea of publicly sharing a link to my content... is there a more individual way I can share with just you/Adobe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*glenn arango  When the file is ready to go, I will email you and you can send me the link. Let me know when ready. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thanks... appreciate it, will do!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ready to share link...

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 11, 2021 Aug 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've emailed you for the link

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*glenn arango  I have the file now. Thank you. I can duplicate what you are seeing. Do I have your permission to attach this catalog to the bug I will write?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Glad you could... nice to know it wasn't just me LOL. Yes, please feel free to include with the bug. Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 27, 2022 May 27, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just want to share that I'm experiencing the same issue. I'm using an M1 Max 16" MacBook Pro and LrC 11.3.1

Screen Shot 2022-05-27 at 4.05.58 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-05-27 at 4.09.57 PM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate