• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: After the new version "update” today — “Unexpected error opening catalog.”

LEGEND ,
Oct 21, 2020 Oct 21, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

“The catalog could not be opened due to an unexpected error.” Not just my main catalog. Every catalog, recent and older, and every backup.

This is what I'm looking for urgent help with.

It's far from the only problem. InDesign crashed hard on first launch of the update. Fonts spun in Adobe Fonts and wouldn't load. What an utter disaster you are lately Adobe. 

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Greetings,

Updates to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products for Desktop, Mobile and Web, were released today and contain a fix for this issue.

Please refresh your Creative Cloud application and install your update when it becomes available. Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Updates to the Adobe Photography Products were released yesterday and include a fix for this issue. Please install the December update, restart your system and verify you are no longer experiencing the issue. Thank you for your assistance in reporting, providing additional information and, most of all, for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 137 Replies 137
137 Comments
New Here ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same issue. Someone please help! Even after uploading my most recently saved catalog, it disappeared as well. This is ridiculous! Looking for a solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't upgraded. I'm still on version 8 and the same thing is happening with mine. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@gratefulmomof3 Disappeared? 

If you have a catalog that's not huge, be useful if you zipped it and then uploaded it for others to see if they can open. 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After a few rounds of requiring a full system restart to get LrC to work mine eventually came good. Everything now seems to be working as it should. I'm happy that it is working but frustrated that there is no apparent reason why it stopped and then started working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@palbion It's often better to do a shutdown and restart than just a restart on Mac OS.

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here, can't open any of my catalogs nor can I create new ones. Lightroom Classic 10.0 on macOS 10.15.3

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem and work to do since yesterday. How can I get the previous version ???????

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To go back, use Creative Cloud application, next to the product you want to revert, click on... pick "other versions"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I guess my post was misleading. I see the catalog and can open it and import it into Lightroom but when I go back into Lightroom, the catalog is no longer there and I have to keep repeating the process.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 27, 2020 Oct 27, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did that as well, doesn't help either!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sunil_bhaskaran

not in my case, Sunil!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did that as well ... doesn't helped me out.

I've already tried most of the tips and tricks suggested on this forum ... it remains a problem ... hallo Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After working without problems yesterday my LrC reverted today and refused to open my catalog. Shutdown and restart got it back again. Evidently something wrong with the most recent installation and/or catalog format.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

If you still face this issue, could you please comment here.
We assume:
When you open the existing catalog in Lightroom Classic 10.0, you are asked to upgrade. The catalog gets upgraded and while opening, the error message is thrown.

• Can you create a new catalog in Lightroom Classic 10.0 (using the Choose a Different Catalog option)?
  • Where is your catalog location?
  • After copying the catalog file (file with the .lrcat extension) to a new location, can you open it?
  • What happens after a machine restart?

Thanks,
Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings Sunil!

I went back to the previous version of LrC, v9.4.

I removed the previous lrcat I had used for the v10.0 of LrC and now use a backup of the day before.

To answer your previous questions:

- I could not create a new catalog; nor choose another option where LrC "hung" and I had to close LrC via command+option+esc;

- my lrcat is located in the folder where all pictures are stored per download (also with .lrdata, lrcat-wal, helper, ...).

- restarting didn't help either, even resetting the parameter ram (command+p+r)

Have a nice day!
Bert

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my case when LrC 10 opens after the installation it does not ask to upgrade the catalogue.  I get the "Unexpected error" message.  The only option after that is to close the program.  My locate is also located in the same place as my pictures along with the other associated files.  Restarting and resetting preferences do not help.  Going back to LrC everything works fine.  I have gone through this process numerous time all with the same result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@gratefulmomof3 Then you're in the wrong thread, most of these people are on V10. Call your IT guy for a visit, or get an IT guy and then call them?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you can't get your work done, here's the best advice you'll ever get: hire an IT guy to come over! All corporate workers benefit from deskside IT support, to think you can fix everything yourself is folly. In a corporate setting, the decision to upgrade would NOT be your choice.

Best of luck to you all, don't give up on Adobe, just don't upgrade until you get the "all clear"from Jeff Harmon (Photo Taco Podcast) or Victoria Bampton (Lightroomqueen.com).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for your help, it worked 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sunil_bhaskaran same issue for me. I upgraded, and on launch I get this error. New catalogs, old catalogs, nothing works, LrC cannot make a new one, it makes a new folder but fails to make a new catalog, it loops and my only choice is to quit.

When run in terminal I get this, look at "bad argument #1 to 'update' (string expected, got nil)" as that looks like it might point to something...

/Applications/Adobe\ Lightroom\ Classic/Adobe\ Lightroom\ Classic.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe\ Lightroom\ Classic 

2020-10-27 22:02:18.666 Adobe Lightroom Classic[3514:103189] Throttle bucket for current UUID is 92.000000

2020-10-27 22:02:18.693 Adobe Lightroom Classic[3514:103189] AdobeCrashReporterInitialize: executionTime = 0.032383 seconds

2020-10-27 22:02:18.713 AdobeCRDaemon[3517:103231] CR dialog Preference for force quit 1

2020-10-27 22:02:20.135 Adobe Lightroom Classic[3514:103189] Lightroom might have encountered user permission issues due to bad installation.   bad argument #1 to 'update' (string expected, got nil)

2020-10-27 22:02:20.135 Adobe Lightroom Classic[3514:103189] Lightroom might not work correctly if you continue without correcting the issues.

2020-10-27 22:02:20.135 Adobe Lightroom Classic[3514:103189] Visit    http://www.adobe.com/go/lr_user_permission_issue

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I also tried a different user account, deleted all Adobe with Adobe Cleaner and manual, reset user permissions with Adobe script and manually, etc. No luck resolving the permissions issue after multiple attempts. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks a lot for the information.
If you go to Security & Privacy, does Lightroom Classic has all permissions for Files and Folders?

Thanks,
Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 28, 2020 Oct 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I gave it full disk permissions as one of the first steps. Then tried setting permissions manually, everything obvious is set correctly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 29, 2020 Oct 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Solution: 

Copy your catalog folder into different drive, then try to open.

Votes

Translate

Translate