• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Catalog fails update from 10.4 to 11.0

Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated Lightroom to 11.0 this morning. The first message I get is "Cannot convert catalog" and reference to an Adobe webpage.

I've checked and there is no LRCAT.LOCK file. All my other catalogs have converted with no problems. It's the big one (of course) that is an issue.

I'm running an Intel iMac 27in (2019) with 64GB Ram and about 300GB free on the main hard drive. Photos are stored both on the main drive and an external drive. This is a configuration I've used extensively for a few years now and have about 112000 photos in the catalog. The OS is macOS Big Sur v11.6.

Any suggestions are appreciated. In the interim I've started a new catalog and am "adding in place" the photo files. That means I'll lose the collections, but I guess there are worse outcomes possible.

Thanks.      ...Doug

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Lightroom Classic 11.0.1 was released on 11.15.2021 and contains a fix for this issue. Please refresh your Creative Cloud Application ([Cmd/Ctrl]+[Opt/Alt]+[ R ])and install the Lightroom Classic update. Thank you for your patience.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Oct 28, 2021 Oct 28, 2021

Greetings -

To those who have sent catalogs, thank you. We do not need additional catalogs at this time. 

Update 11/3/2021:

At this time our investigation has revealed a small number of customers with an update issue that will be remedied in our next release. Evaluating catalogs sent to us (thank you) has revealed three classes of failure:

1. Customers who are affected by this bug (We've returned catalogs for the original group supplied to us)
  2. Customers whose catalogs have no issue upgrading o

Votes

Translate

Translate
53 Comments
New Here ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having the same problem upgrading from LRC 10.4 to LRC 11, cataloque can't be upgradet to the new LRC version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 02, 2021 Nov 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I AM BECOMING BEYOND LIVID.  I HAVE HAD THIS ISSUE FOR OVER A WEEK.  I SENT IN MY CATALOG OVER A WEEK AGO.  EVERY TIME I CALL IN TO FIND OUT WHAT IS THE STATUS, I GET "WE WILL CALL YOU BACK WITHIN 24-48 HOURS". OF COURSE, NO ONE CALLS ME BACK.  I CALL AGAIN AND STATE "I CANNOT BE THE ONLY ONE WITH THIS ISSUE!!!! (I CANNOT UNDERSTAND THE PERSON ON THE PHONE AT ALL)" AGAIN I AM TOLD I WILL RECEIVE A CALL WITHIN 24-48 HOURS, OR A SUPERVISOR WILL CALL ME BACK THAT EVERNING.  NEITHER OF WHICH OCCURS.  I AM STILL HAVING THE SAME ISSUE.  IT HAS BEEN OVER A WEEK NOW AND I CANNOT WORK.  I CANNOT GET ANY WORK DONE FOR MY CLIENTS!!!  I AM PAYING FOR A SERVICE THAT IS NOT WORKING AT ALL!!  THIS IS GETTING BEYOND FRUSTRATING.  YOU WOULD THINK THEY WOULD ALLOCATE ENOUGH STAFF TO FIX THEIR UPGRADE THEY SHOULD HAVE TESTED AND RETESTED BEFORE LAUNCHING.  I AM CURRENTLY ON THE NEVER ENDIND HOLD FOR OVER AN HOUR WITH OUT BEING TOLD I AM BEING PUT ON HOLD.  SUCH NICE CUSTIMER SERVICE!!! I AM BEYOND MAD!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 03, 2021 Nov 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any news on that issue?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

crickets

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@jdliddil Your catalog upgraded without issues on my system. Please check your Direct Messages for a link for you updated catalog. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also frustrated, though I am not a professional so don’t have
obligations. I went back to 10.4 to help quiet my mood. I would appreciate
the phone number you have so that I can also push.

Joe
--

Joseph G Zendegui
Weaverville NC

Sent from my iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. I'll download it later. I did run a complete optimize before the upgrade.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Finding I have to rebuild my smart previews

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just roll the version back to 10.4 and it all works..... all you are missing are the new tools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 05, 2021 Nov 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ahhhhh !!!!!  For the second time Adobe have "Repaired" the catalogue but it still doesn't work!!!   I have repled to their email and wait for a third time lucky attempt!! GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi - I'm experiencing issues. V11 update seems to have been automatic, and I might have exited the window asking me to update my catalog. I tried a few things before I found this post:
1. I then moved the catalog file into a nother folder, as I thought that was the issue.
2. I changed the name of the catalog as well as the preview files etc.
3. I've removed the LOCK files 
4. I reverted the update to 10.4 but still cant open my old catalog. This is very concerning as I'm working on a deadline! 
5. I can open a new catalog, but not my old one.

Please help or tell me where I can seek this help - this is business critical for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same issue, here is how I solved it: 

- Optimized Catalogue in 10.4

- Backup of said Catalogue

- Close LR

- Copy and Rename old Catalogue

- Start LR with renamed Catalogue

That worked for me, and if you are running LR in a synced folder (backup, onedrive, google drive) stop the syncing during the upgrade. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ulpgraded to LrC 11. I tried to upgrade the catalog overnight and the progress bar had not moved much. The images occupy about 4 TB of space on an external drive. Is it normal that is taking so long? I don't remember previous major catalog upgrades taking so long. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 15, 2021 Nov 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. Any news or tips on this one? I am still not able to upgrade the catalog from 10.4 to 11. I have delivered two catalogs for testing, tried renaming, optimizing, older backups, deactivating presets, nothing works. Switched back to 10.4 until a patch arrives.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am in the same issue. I have so much work that is delayed. Not to mention, reverting back to the 10.4 i now do not have the sky replacement which was previously in that version. 

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mine went through to upgrade to 11 but I couldn’t get it to work. It would give me errors

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

None that I am aware of. Still holding my breath. But now when you convert back to 10.4, you lose the sky replacement option. It’s no longer there. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom Classic 11.0.1 was released on 11.15.2021 and contains a fix for this issue. Please refresh your Creative Cloud Application ([Cmd/Ctrl]+[Opt/Alt]+[ R ])and install the Lightroom Classic update. Thank you for your patience.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have received an upgraded catalogue back from Adobe, instead of a repaired old catalogue and that all worked ok.  Thank you.  It was frustrating but didn't stop me working as the old version worked ok.   Can't see why people are posting on here that is has stopped their work.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that a previous catalogue that wouldn't update to the new version 11 now will upgrade to the new version following the update to Lightroom 11.0.1  .......

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 16, 2021 Nov 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I copied the catalog from an external hard drive to a SSD and I was able to
quickly upgrade the catalog and moved it back to the hard drive.
I was successful.
Anyway not to happy that to add a gradient mask I need an additional click
with the new version of Lightroom
--

Stefano
http://stefanogiovannini.com
Instagram @stefpix2

Sent from Gmail Mobile

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry Rick,

my primary post seems to be deleted. I posted on26th of October: "Windows LR 11 classic is not able to convert the LR 10 catalog to the new format of LR 11. I only get the error message "Beim Aktualisieren des Formats der Katalogdatei in Lightroom ist ein Problem aufgetreten. Dieser Katalog kann nicht mit dieser Lightroom-Version verwendet werden."

You have got my catalog and told me, that you were able to convert the catalog. Later you posted, that the converted catalogs have been delivered to ther owners (not to me unfortunately).

Now I tried to convert my v10-catalog with version 11.0.1. The conversion still does not work, I get the same error message as with version 11.0.0. So I'm still stuck with version 10.4. Is there a plan to solve my problem?

Bruno

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 20, 2021 Nov 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You likely have an unrelated catalog error if 11.0.1 does not allow you to upgrade. I would recommend your contacting Adobe Customer Care and ask them for catalog repair assistence on your 10.4 catalog. 
 https://helpx.adobe.com/ca/contact.html 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I ran into the same issue with my husband's catalog. I went through all the same fix-it steps, including renaming the catalog, spending untold hours on the phone with Adobe "support," and finally insisting I be passed to the next level up.

When that didn't work a very patient gentleman from India sent it to the "back room" at Adobe for repair. The catalog came back repaired, but no one tried to back it up, and as soon as I opened the repaired catalog and tried to back it up for safety, it refused to do so. Back to square one.

This has been gong on since November 6th, perhaps even earlier.

I finally did my own repair by reverting back to 10.4, exporting folders and groups of folders as mini catalogs, backing each of them up. I found that doing the virtual copies and their parents was a good way to go for them in a separate process by first moving them to a Virtual Copies folder, then exporting them, backing up, etc., etc.

I was fortunate to be able to work off two computers, one with v.11, the other with 10.4.

Once the folders were copied over to the v. 11 computer, I opened each catalog (dozens and dozens) and upgraded them to v.11. Then, I imported the mini catalogs bit by bit, and each time, backed up the new master catalog and as a safety precaution, literally copied the lrcat file to another drive. If someting didn't work, I could easily revert, go back to the 10.4 computer, and export the recalcitrant folder(s) again as mini catalogs, somthing I had to do several times.

I created a second catalog for my husband with older photographs, so that if something goes wrong, I will be dealing with smaller numbers.

As of this morning, my husband now has two working catalogs, representing two different external hard drives. He is good to go, and we keep our fingers crossed, no thanks to Adobe.

I am hoping these steps might help someone else down the line.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 10, 2021 Dec 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow what a time consuming way to get your catalogue updated, well done.  I had planned the same sort of venture to get my catalogue done. The new version 11.0.1 updates the old catalogue with no problems.  You may want to try that on your old catalogue just to make sure you have everything. 

Votes

Translate

Translate