• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Change of tones in a photo after upgrading to LR 3.4

Explorer ,
May 18, 2011 May 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I noticed a change of tones in one of my photos after upgrading to LR 3.4.

This is how it used to look (and as it was uploaded to Flickr):

And this is how it looks now in LR3.4:

Image is not available

Note especially the small patch of road on the lower right corner: it has distinctly green color cast in the current version. There are other changes in tone elsewhere in the photo, but they are much more subtle than the road.

And as you can see from the history panel, the image has *not* been modified by me at all in Lightroom since it was uploaded to Flickr (which is the version above). So it seems that some sort of bug has caused this color shift. Which is not nice.

Fortunately this is (at least so far) the only image which seems to be affected.

Using latest version of Mac OSX here, LR running in 64bit mode.

Bug Won't fix
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Aug 04, 2011 Aug 04, 2011
Here's an update on this issue from the engineer:

In LR 3.4, we fixed a bug where applying Recovery could lead to undesirable color shifts, such as skin tones turning red. Normally we wouldn't make a rendering change without adding a new process version, but we heard from a lot of customers about this issue and wanted to provide a fix sooner rather than later.

With this fix, images with existing edits can change, especially if a strong Recovery setting was applied.

In the example provided...

Votes

Translate

Translate
14 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
May 18, 2011 May 18, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Miemo,

To troubleshoot, it would help to have the original file. Can you post a link to the file, using a utility like yousendit?

Thanks,
Becky

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 19, 2011 May 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can send the link to the original raw-file for debugging purposes to official representatives of Adobe to an adobe.com email address. Won't be able to make it public here, I'm just about to send this particular photo to Getty Images and don't want to have copies of it circulating in full resolution.

I can be contacted via email at info(at)miemo.net

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 13, 2011 Jun 13, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Becky, any news on this from the debugging developers?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Miemo, can you please confirm which version you upgraded from - was it 3.3 to 3.4, or from an earlier version?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The upgrade was from 3.3. to 3.4, but can't be sure which version I had in use when editing the photo in question. It's been months since I've needed to take a look at that particular photo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmmmm, looking at the Export to Flickr date in the History panel in the screenshot, it must have been a 3.x.

If Becky doesn't get to reply here, and you're happy to drop me the file (victoria@lightroomqueen.com), I'll see if I can reproduce it on various 3.x builds and drop it to Becky direct.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I actually did deliver the file to Becky soon after the original messages via email, was just wondering if they've been able to reproduce the issue and/or find the fix for it...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah brilliant, I'm sure she has it in hand then

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am curious. If you export to Flickr again, do the two images on Flickr match each other?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rikk, just tried that but the new export on Flickr looks exactly like the one in LR (i.e. bad). So it's not a color management issue, if that's where you were heading with your idea..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Miemo, we were able to repro this with your image. I've logged the bug.

Becky

Votes

Translate

Translate

People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Becky,

Can you please let us know under what circumstances this is to be expected?

Thanks, Beat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 04, 2011 Aug 04, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an update on this issue from the engineer:

In LR 3.4, we fixed a bug where applying Recovery could lead to undesirable color shifts, such as skin tones turning red. Normally we wouldn't make a rendering change without adding a new process version, but we heard from a lot of customers about this issue and wanted to provide a fix sooner rather than later.

With this fix, images with existing edits can change, especially if a strong Recovery setting was applied.

In the example provided by Miemo, a strong Recovery (+100) had been applied, and there was also a local color correction in the bottom-right. With the fix to the other issue, the Recovery preserves the original hues, but that unfortunately throws off the local color correction painted in earlier.

For the example image provided, our recommendation is to remove the local color correction, which will also remove the green cast.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 10, 2011 Aug 10, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thanks for digging into this and for the explanation. I'll just need to re-edit the photo to try to match the tones then...

Votes

Translate

Translate