• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Contains Words Bug (Big Mallard Ducks)

LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2011 Apr 08, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

'Contains Words' has a data sensitive bug that causes it to behave seemingly flaky.

Details are findable on the forum if the forum search ever gets fixed. I remember it by the keyword: "Big Mallard Ducks". Try searching for a photo with this keyword using 'Contains Words' and the various contained words and you'll see the problem - somebody already identified detailed cause - see somewhere on the Photoshop Lightroom forum.

I never use keywords with spaces anymore, so this bug means nothing to me personally.

This one falls in the category of "should be fixed next rev" in my opinion - it has persisted for a long time now.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 21, 2015 Apr 21, 2015
This should be fixed in Lightroom CC/Lightroom 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate
19 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jun 16, 2011 Jun 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This problem *really* needs to be acknowledged, and fixed!!!

Its repeatable on both platforms - its strange but its true and *really* needs to be fixed - preferably in next dot release, but certainly come Lr4.

Makes Lightroom keyword handling *appear* flaky because it *is* flaky - not good, no not good at all..........

This bug was *not* in Lr2 - first presented in Lr3, still present @LR3.4.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IIRC, the problem shows up when the last letter of a word is the same as the first letter of the adjacent word. That's why "big mallard ducks" fails.

(Can't even find my own posts because of the really annoying search bug. Really, how useful is a forum that you can't search in?)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You must be looking for this thread.

You'll find it by using Google with
"big mallard ducks" site:forums.adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the search tip.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Problem acknowledged. 🙂 I've written this up in our bug database, thanks for the report.

-Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure why the web guy (or gal) can't take a minute to fix that forum search...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 16, 2011 Dec 16, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not fixed @LR3.6

PS - One can find "Big Mallard Ducks" (Contains Words) just fine in a 'Title' - maybe the problem is just with keywords.

Did Adobe look into fixing this before Lr3.6 was released, but couldn't come up with an expedient enough solution, or has fixing this bug never been seriously considered yet?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 10, 2012 Jan 10, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not fixed @Lr4B1

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 19, 2012 Mar 19, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not fixed @LR4.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 23, 2012 Apr 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can work arothis bug by adding two spaces between offending words. "Mallard duck" will not work but "Mallard duck" (two spaces between mallard and duck will.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keywords which consists of several words do not work properly when a word starts with the same character as a previous word ends. For example - if you tag a photo with a keyword: "South March Highlands" you will not be able to get search results with "highlands" word (using text search on keywords with keywords "contains words"). No hits. Simply because "Highlands" start with the same character as a previous word "March" ends. This is always true no matter how many words you have in a keyword. I tried different words and different letter combination - always the same result. The workaround is to use two spaces between words in a tag when you have one word ending with some character and the next word begining with the same character. For example if my tag is now: "South March Highlands" (two spaces between Macrh and Highlands, my searches on keyword "Highlands" give expected results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow. Thank you Miroslaw.

Although I wish Adobe would just fix this already (more for their sake than mine), this is a good workaround for now.

I've been using:
* SpaceUrchin
* AnyFilter

which work around it, and also extend Lightroom's search and filter capability.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 04, 2012 Oct 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not fixed @LR4.2, and the double-space work-around no longer works around it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 04, 2012 Oct 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@LR4.2, this work-around no longer works-around - so, a step backwards... Thank goodness for plugins like SpaceUrchin and AnyFilter.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 17, 2013 Apr 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not fixed @Lr5b.
(is this really so hard to fix?)

You've heard the phrase "JDI" (just do it). Well, I'd like to coin a new phrase JFA (just fix already).

As it stands, I just tell people "Contains Words" is buggy - don't use it (or at least: you can't trust it), to avoid having to explain the "Big Mallard Ducks" affliction. I'd rather not have to go through that.

It's no problem for me, since I know how to get around it, but not everybody is aware of the bug, or knows how to work around: for them - Lr just seems flaky...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Apr 18, 2013 Apr 18, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have been bugged by this bug for years now, and I do not see why I should add 2 space, that is a workaround but not a solution.
Please fix it
thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 08, 2013 Dec 08, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not fixed @LR5.3RC (and 2-space work-around still doesn't work around it anymore).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 21, 2015 Apr 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This should be fixed in Lightroom CC/Lightroom 6.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 25, 2015 Apr 25, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Excellent! (Better late than never...)

Votes

Translate

Translate