Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: crashes on export of JPEG's

LEGEND ,
Oct 22, 2019 Oct 22, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Technical Information: Lightroom Classic Version 8.4.1
Operating on an Apple MacBook Pro 2016, 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7, 16 GB 2133 MHz LPDDR3 With macOS Catalina 10.15

Description: Normally exporting jpeg's as I do, and it crashes for no reason. I have to foce quit the application and hard restart the computer for me to be able to boot Lightroom again. Very strange issue. My friend is having the same issue on his older MacBook. This is incredibly frustrating as I need to export many photos....

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
55 Comments
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will

I am finding no crash reports under your email address you've registered at this forum.  Are you getting a crash dialog? Is it an Apple dialog or an Adobe dialog?  Are you submitting the report with your email? Do you use a different email than that with which you registered here?
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you submit the crash log to Adobe? Is it a crash or a hang? Does it happen on any set of photos? Is this new? Does Lr crash during export before upgrade to Catalina? Does 

Have you checked your hardware RAM/disk? I could very well be a hardware issue it seems.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is not crashing. It's just freezing up on Mac and It doesn't generate a crash report because you have to literally restart the computer for it to reboot the application. Haven't found any way around this.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Maybe it's a corrupted preference in your Username/Library folder? To reset your LR preferences: 

1. Close Lightroom. 

2. Hold down [Alt/Opt]+[Shift] while restarting Lightroom. 

3. Overwrite the Preferences when prompted by the dialog. 

4. Close Lightroom. 

5. Restart Lightroom. 

Go to your Lightroom Classic Preferences (in the LR menu) and go over them and reset any that got changed from the way you want them. When I did it there weren't many changes that I needed to reset.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Onyx for Catalina is out! https://www.titanium-software.fr/en/onyx.html

Download it, run it, people with crashing Macs!

In Onyx run almost everything in the Maintenance tab, deselecting things you may not want deleted, like Launch Services . Hit the "Options" button and deselect more stuff like Cookies & Other Site Data, Browser History, Form Values, etc. If you don’t know what something is, look it up, or just deselect it, then hit Run Tasks. After it's done it will ask for a reboot.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 23, 2019 Oct 23, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would it be possible to get your Mac in the non-responsive state and then grab a process sample to send to us?
See: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/7959486

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 05, 2020 Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem! I hade the same problem month ago before upgrade to Catalina, I had Lr 9 and MacOS High Sierra. After updated to Catalina the problem was solved until today after 5 days on inactivity on my mac, the problem return.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jan 05, 2020 Jan 05, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem here! LR9 crash without dialogue while exporting to jpg. MacBook needs to restart. Catalina 10.15.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ernst, I find no crash reports submitted against the email address with which you're using on this forum. Is your Adobe ID different? Do you receive a crash dialog? Is the dialog Apple's or Adobe's? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I do find a single instance of a crash report for your email that you used on this forum.  Have you experienced more than one crash?  Do all of the crashes show an Adobe dialog or are some of the Apple dialogs?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk, the crash returns repeatedly when I export to jpg. The first few pictures are exported, and then LR hangs. The access to the external SSD (Samsung) is also stalled and only returns after restart of the computer. There's no crash dialog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like an Application Hang and not a crash.  If you export to the local drive does it hang?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 07, 2020 Jan 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A lot of crashes... sometimes an apple dialogs , rarely an adobe one, the most of the time nothing or a system reboot

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

System reboot sounds more like a hardware or low level OS issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would agree with Victoria. The symptoms you describe sound like a hardware failure. It might be prudent to have your machine checked out. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FWIW, my iMac was randomly rebooting (not just in Lightroom) and it passed the Apple Hardware Test... but when I came to do a clean OS install, I tried to format the internal drive and even that rebooted itself. I was eventually able to reformat by booting from the recovery partition and it's behaved perfectly ever since.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a minute ago Lr crashed, while I worked on the developed mode and without an Adobe dialog but only an Apple dialog

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On macOS, launch the console app, on the left pane, there is a Reports category on "Crash Reports", find the most recent Apple crash report and see what it says. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2020 Jan 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found a crash of Lr ar 1:58 AM but I didn't use the Mac, and Lr was opened

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 09, 2020 Aug 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had the same problem on LR Classic when I upgraded to Catalina  from 10.14. Very very frustrating, 75% LRC freezes when exporting, no matter the number of files to export. Always had to do a FORCE QUIT to recover. I tried the trick of resetting the LRC preferences as explained by Carlos Cardona above and so far it seems to do the trick. If it happens again, i'll report back.
Guy S.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

false hope. It started again. I really hope Adobe get their act together on this issue. I can confirm that no core dumps are generated in /cores:

27:cores Guy$ ls -lra

total 0

drwxr-xr-x  22 root  admin  704 25 Jul 23:08 ..

drwxr-xr-x   2 root  wheel   64 29 Feb 01:11 .

27:cores Guy$ 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guy: did you run Onyx, as I suggested above in my comment?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 10, 2020 Aug 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I installed the Catalina version. I ran the scripts in the maintenance tab with the default selections. No change. I also ran disk doctor / first aid from Apple. LRC has full-disk access in system preferences. No change. It really look like an issue with LRC itself, wouldn't you say? Never had this issue with 10.14. Do you have any other recommendations Carlos?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

one observation: the freeze happens after the new directory has been created using the "choose" button in the export menu (before pressing the final "export"  button)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A video showing your steps would be helpful. That seems to be an odd moment to hang before the real export work starts.

Votes

Translate

Translate