• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Crop lock reverts when changing to next picture

Community Beginner ,
Jan 08, 2017 Jan 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sometimes (seems to be random) after unlocking and locking the crop perspective in one picture and then moving on to the next image, the crop perspective is unlocked again when cropping the next image (despite having relocked the perspective in the previous image). Is there anyway to keep the crop perspective lock the same when moving to another image?

Bug Won't fix
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017
I think Rikk's suggestion will fix it for awhile, but you'll still probably be confused as to why it keeps happening without some more explanation, so this is what I've found in my Lr use over the years.  I believe it's correct, but if someone else has a more authoritative answer, hopefully they'll jump in...

The aspect lock state is saved per image, so when you go back to an image later, that state is preserved.  That part makes perfect sense.

Where it gets confusing is what happens when you're g...

Votes

Translate

Translate
12 Comments
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 09, 2017 Jan 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Go to a new image.
Select the Crop tool [ R ] 
Before you move anything..., toggle the Padlock in the Crop panel. 

This should reset the default state to the end result of your toggle. Does that fix the issue you are seeing?
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Go to a new image" 
or you could reset the crop first.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think Rikk's suggestion will fix it for awhile, but you'll still probably be confused as to why it keeps happening without some more explanation, so this is what I've found in my Lr use over the years.  I believe it's correct, but if someone else has a more authoritative answer, hopefully they'll jump in...

The aspect lock state is saved per image, so when you go back to an image later, that state is preserved.  That part makes perfect sense.

Where it gets confusing is what happens when you're going through images that have never had a crop setting applied to them.  In this case, Lr appears to default to whatever state the lock was in the last time a save was made, but only when a save was made to an image that previously had no crop changes applied.

For example, import a batch of new images, select one, go into Develop, open the Crop tool, turn off the lock, crop the image however you want and click Done.  Now, any of the other new images you use the crop tool on will default to unlocked as well because the last lock state was unlocked.  Again, seems logical enough.

Now here's the weird part.  If you go back to that same image you just cropped, and change the crop & lock state, it doesn't reset the default.  When you use the crop tool on any of the unedited images, the lock state will still be unlocked.

As Rikk said, if you use the crop tool on any of the other unedited images and change the lock state to locked, that will reset the default, so now any of the remaining unedited images will default to the locked state.

Head spinning yet?  As I mentioned earlier, that's the behavior I've identified over the years.  It may look random when you've got some images that have the crop setting saved, some that don't and a default behavior that's changing based on previous saves, but it really isn't.

Whether this is intentional and/or makes sense is a different story.  For my workflow, it would be better if the state was always locked by default, but I would imagine others might like it the way it is.

Once you understand what's going on though, the solution is pretty easy.  If it's not defaulting the way you want, do what Rikk said - go to an unedited image, toggle the lock and click Done.  That should reset the default until the next time it gets changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You've stated it correctly Tom. In answer to whether it makes sense, absolutely not. I think the solution/ correct behaviour would be to have an option to set the "default state"(or just have it locked by default). As most users, this would be locked in my case. Rarely I would unlock it and find it frustrating every time I go to the crop tool, I have to check where it's at. In most cases, I start dragging the corner handle, to realise it was unlocked and had to undo that and lock it. Then to reset it to the "default", my default, I would come out of the crop tool, go to another image, lock it, then move the handle or apply a preset, all with no other intention but to reset the "default". It seems like your "default" would be the same as mine - locked! But as always, we need voters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Apr 25, 2017 Apr 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just reset my preferences file and to my aggravation, the crop lock was unlocked. There seems to be no clear way to keep it locked and my successful attempts to do so over the years has been a random mashing of the keyboard. LR DEVS: No one really unlocks it, at least to the point where it needs to be unlocked by default. Please just lock the darn thing by default from now on.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you really think that this trick is normal? At least no one normal user can find this way or even understand and remember it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 22, 2017 Jun 22, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The main issue is not even random behavior (that looks like random for normal user). The main issue is that it unlocks automatically. You should never show that lock is locked if it unlocks automatically when user resize image. Because is actually not locked then!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 02, 2018 Dec 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do the majority of users really want to default state to be locked? I prefer the default state to be unlocked. (I print very few of my photos, so it's the exception that I need to constrain my image to a standard frame size.)

I agree however, that the way you set the default state is highly unintuitive, and seems like it would be too easy to change the default unintentionally.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Dec 02, 2018 Dec 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR saved as default status of a tool its status BEFORE it is used.
For the crop tool if you lock/unlock it BEFORE drawing the crop, this lock/unlock status will become the default status. If you change the lock/unlock status AFTER drawing the crop, the default status won't be changed.
This behavior is the same for the other tools (brush, filter,). If you change the sliders value BEFORE using the tool (drawing the mask), these sliders values will be saved as the new default values. If you change the slider values AFTER using the tool (drawing the mask), the default values won't be changed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 13, 2018 Dec 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem is that the lock doesn't show the current state (locked/unlocked) until user starts to modify the cropping area. This is a serious issue. Also it's IMPOSSIBLE to change default locking state on already cropped area. This is extremely inconvenient! And all this is on top on the confusing behavior of the lock. It's ridiculously inconvenient.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 20, 2020 Nov 20, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With Ver 10.0 I am now noticing that the lock looks locked until you start cropping then it shows as unlocked. 

I too suggest just having the default as locked.

Tx

Stephen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Stephen - is the issue that you are experiencing the same as this one? If so then it would be good to support/like/comment on the original post so that we can get some traction from Adobe as this is not fixed in 10.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate