• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: default settings only partially applied on import

LEGEND ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There appears to be a bug in Lightroom Classic CC 7.3 with regards to camera default settings: they're only partially applied on Import.

For example, in my default settings, I apply a camera profile (Camera Neutral) - this works.

I also use a fixed, custom white balance - this doesn't work. Lightroom always uses the "As Shot" white balance from the camera instead on import.

"Remove Chromatic Aberration" is on in my default settings (why does that default to off, anyway?), but it's off after importing.

Only when I use "Reset" on a newly imported photo, ALL of my custom default settings are applied.

I reverted to version 7.2, and my default settings are applied right on import, as expected.

I'm using Windows 7 64bit.

Thanks for looking into it
Alexander.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 15, 2018 Oct 15, 2018
Greetings, 

The Lightroom Classic CC was updated today and contains a fix for this issue. Please download the new version and give it a try and let us know how it works.

Votes

Translate

Translate
26 Comments
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I'm not going to be much help. I have been experiencing same probs, amongst the raft of other issues.
I spoke to Adobe 1 month ago about these, they went away to find the solution and never came back. So I went again (3 contact on this issue) and they gave up, just plain could not work out why or what to do.
Strangely enough a week-10 days ago, the lens profile setting just started working - out of the blue!!!!
Hopefully your might do that too.
I dont use custom white balance on import, but I did use chrom.Abbr. That doesn't work now, have to do it manually every time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the confirmation Brian. For the moment I'll stick to version 7.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Alexander,

Thanks for sharing with us your problems.
Can you please explain in detail, how do you set your defaults while import ?
 Have you created a develop preset which you apply during import ?
It will be of great help if you can share with us your workflow steps, so that we can reproduce the issue and fix it.

Thanks,
Akshay

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have set my defaults in the Develop module, using the Develop menu, "Set default settings..." menu entry.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 19, 2018 Apr 19, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep in mind that custom Develop default settings are specific to camera model, file type raw and non-raw (JPEG, TIFF), and even ISO setting if checked in menu Preferences> Presets> Make defaults specific to camera ISO setting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you, I am well aware of that, but neither of these preferences settings is activated.

And that doesn't explain the difference between 7.2 (where my default settings are applied as expected) and 7.3 (where they're only partially applied).

The difference between 7.2 and 7.3 is the new profiles and presets format, so...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The two settings are for ISO Setting and Camera Serial Number. Camera model is always active and requires setting your custom Develop Default settings individually using files from each specific camera model and then saving each as separate Default Develop Settings.

Try this:
Open a raw file from one specific camera model, hit Reset, and change the Develop module controls to your custom settings. Next click on the Reset button at the bottom of the Develop panel while holding down the ALT key, and click on 'Update to current settings.' Restart LR and make sure the same file is still selected. Hit the Delete key and select 'Remove' and NOT Delete. Open the Import module and make sure Apply During Import panel shows Develop Settings = None. In the Source panel select the file you just removed and reimport.

Do you see your Default Develop settings now? If not please tell me if you have 'Store presets with this catalog' checked in LR Preferences> Presets and what version of Adobe Camera Raw you have installed. From inside Bridge go to menu Edit> Camera Raw Preferences and copy the Camera Raw Version number showing at the top of the panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Again, Todd: it works as expected, and like it ALWAYS did, in v7.2, it doesn't work in v7.3 anymore - where are your questions supposed to lead, other than wasting time?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, allow me to repeat what I already wrote above: Only when I use "Reset" on a newly imported photo, ALL of my custom default settings are applied.

They're not applied on import anymore. Coincidentally, the whole profile/preset system was changed in version 7.3...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds like you're not interested in "trouble-shooting" this issue with LR 7.3. That's fine and in fact I've rolled-back to LR 7.2 for similar reasons (corrupt catalog backups, Develop preset issues, etc.).

To roll-back to LR 7.2 open the Creative Cloud app and click the down arrow next to Lightroom Classic CC, select 'Other Versions' and then select 7.2. See if this resolves the Default Develop settings issue.

Sorry, I just noticed you've already rolled back to 7.2. Hopefully this will be fixed in the next update 7.3.1.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 21, 2018 Apr 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Todd, note that the corrupt backups was in 7.2 (everything since 7.0) so you'll want to back up manually for the minute.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 21, 2018 Apr 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There also appears to be a long standing (pre 7.0) issue with the 'Integrity' check when backing up a catalog file on exit from LR. Any catalog corruption detected during the backup process is NOT reported. If you hold down the CTRL or CMD key when launching LR and select the Integrity test it will report any detected catalog corruption. Unfortunately the current catalog "repair" process doesn't "fix" it even when the catalog appears to be working properly. Adobe is working on a solution to both issues, which should be corrected in the next update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 09, 2018 May 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Folks, 
simmilar problem here!

please be patient with me, i'm no native speaker, so my english might be a little rough.

If i set a default develop setting (camera & iso specific) the settings i do (especially sharpening / noise reduction) are applied perfectly on import.

But if i apply an additional preset on import (for example for color correction) the settings from the default develop settings are not applied correctly (for example sharpening is set to lightroom standards)

any suggestions about that?

thanx 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 26, 2018 Jun 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm now in 7.3.1. Still Nothing seems to be  the same as it was . The host of issues continue. For the time I can only put up with it. Adobe don't seem to be able to work it out. I have tried again. but the communication system and promises to get back always fall apart.
I'm still experiencing the same camera/lens profiles issues, intermittently, slow uptake when typing keywords/captions etc, slowing of functionality etc. And these things also happen on my laptop. Clearly, to me anyway, it is a lightroom problem. So if you've resolved your probs by reverting to 7.2 thats great, I'm fearful that if I try to go back I'll end up with more issues. Good luck.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

So why don't you update to 7.4 if the host of issues continue in 7.3.1?
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes definitely, 7.4 fixed mostly all 7.3.x issues for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. Will do. Didn't realise a update had been released. Usually automatic, but not this time it seems. Hopefully that will be great. Cheers.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 30, 2018 Jun 30, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By the way,

i updated to 7.4 right now, and it didn't fix the problem (see above!)
Any suggestions here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

7.4 didn't fix it for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, not fixed by 7.4. This is frustrating and seems so wide spread, dont understand why something isn't done about it by Adobe.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, it would be very nice to see some dedication from adobe to fix this problem. 

It's a very essential function, and as far as i understand it's one of the big strengths of lightroom to automate a lot of recurring tasks, like for example applying settings / profiles on import. 
But that doesn't work reliable at the moment. So please fix that fast, because it costs a lot of time to do all that stuff manually.

We are not stupid, and we did understand the mecanics behind the "default develop settings" and the "profiles"
All that worked fine for us until 7.3. 
We know that "default develop settings" are camera and ISO dependent, of course! That's the reason we use it!
And i need to use a (color correction) profile on import, because it gives me a starting point to my very own look, or the look of the current project.

Please fix this.
thanx

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,
Jul 02, 2018 Jul 02, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For what it's worth, this problem HAS indeed been fixed for me in Lightroom 7.4 - I set the Develop defaults again, and they are all applied now when I import new photos, or hit "Reset".

Brian, Arvid - have you tried the "Develop" menu, "Set Default Settings...", then selecting "Restore Adobe Defaults", and THEN set your own defaults again? I didn't have to do that, but since the problem persists for you, maybe something is "stuck" somewhere, and reverting to Adobe's Defaults will help? Just an idea.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jul 03, 2018 Jul 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I did that in 7.3 thanks. No improvement. The whole system has slowed a lot. Really quite frustrating, but thanks for your persistence and help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did that in 7.3 also, but no luck...
When i have time i‘ll also try in 7.4
But i‘m really annoyed to be the beta tester here!
This whole process really takes a lot of time, and i feel like I‘m wasting a lot of time with things that should actually just work.
And if it doesn’t work in the end i‘m even more frustrated!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Know exactly how you feel. Most unfortunate. Makes me wonder if shouldn't look at Luminar!

Votes

Translate

Translate