• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Edit In External Editor does not work/function

LEGEND ,
Mar 07, 2012 Mar 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can not send images from LR4 to any external editor via Photo>Edit In. My system is Mac OS 10.7.3. Using the Edit In command fails to open the external editor and no error message results. This occurs whether the images have the 2012 Process Version applied or not. My external editors are primarily PSE10 and Nik Silver Efex Pro 2.0. This is an important part of my workflow.

I have reinstalled PSE10 and updated to the newest version of Silver Efex Pro.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Mar 30, 2012 Mar 30, 2012
Note: If you're setting Photoshop Elements up as an External Editor, make sure you choose the "Photoshop Elements Editor" not the alias for Photoshop Elements (which launches the welcome screen):

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012
Lightroom 4.1 is now available on Adobe Labs:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/li...

Includes a fix for this issue, plus several other top issues and includes 5D Mk III support:

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/li...

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 432 Replies 432
432 Comments
New Here ,
Mar 30, 2012 Mar 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See my post below - Ted Jez

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mr. Ted, can you give us some more detail? Does Photoshop CS4 not show up in your "Edit in" list, not launch at all, or not launch with the correct image?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am also trying to use PhotoElements 10 to edit in LR 4.1and its still not working on my MacBook. Opens a new version of Elements each time I try with no picture file. Bitterly disappointed and frustrated with Adobe. Thinking of asking for my money back (software not fit for purpose) and moving to Apple Aperture.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Nigel, can you tell me how you have your Edit In preset set up? Did you select the Photoshop Elements alias or the Photoshop Elements Editor application?

See below for more info:

http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try this when setting up your Edit In preset: http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Select the Editor application and not the Photoshop Elements alias.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeffrey, thanks - have re-associated with the application rather than the alias and its working 🙂 Nigel

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Julie,

I suggest that Adobe makes some documentation about the issue of the "Edit In". If you look in the "Lightroom Help" (F1) and search for "Edit In" you don't get a clear help-page.

People are constantly asking if they need to uninstall or install things. A clear sign of lack of information.

The 4.1.beta release came without information about what changed in this release (and how to use it).
I never have seen something like this.
I admit I'm a new client of Adobe. I'm used to Linux openness and documentation in releases, bugs, versions.

To address the plug-ins manually is at this moment something that doesn't work very intuitive.
Document it. (Try the rename function, tsss).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note: If you're setting Photoshop Elements up as an External Editor, make sure you choose the "Photoshop Elements Editor" not the alias for Photoshop Elements (which launches the welcome screen):

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your quick response.

I finally uninstalled CS4 and tried to reinstall (from original disk) - kept saying I had errors - I closed the Virus program - after 3rd try installed with one error. I think it was "common color" or something like that.

I have not spent a lot of time on the program yet but:

Now "edit in" works for CS4 and my NIK programs from Lightroom 4.1.

I feel confident enough now to complete the purchase of Lightroom 4 and even if there are other problems I am confident that Adobe will fix them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR4.1 RC solved the edit problem on my Windows 7 SP1 64-bit machine. All plugins are working great now. Before installing I had canceled the registry entry suggested by JustMe06, and I don't have Photoshop nor Elements, so I am certain the solution comes from LR4.1. Good job!

Votes

Translate

Translate

People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just as a sidenote regarding Nick Plug-Ins being installed automatically as External Editor Presets:

IIRC, the Nick installer puts External Editor Presets into the default LR presets folder. If you have "Store Presets with Catalog" checked, you won't be able to see the Nick software as external editors without setting up your own presets.

Beat

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As of RC 4.1 last night I cannot edit in an external editor. It launches Photoshop, but nothing opens up. This is only with my 5D3 raw files. Other files are loading up just fine. (Windows7, 64-bit)

Votes

Translate

Translate

People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do you have ACR 6.7RC installed? If not, you'd have to render using LR, as ACR 6.6 does not support the 5DMkIII.

Beat

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I've found another problem. This time it's the Flickr uploaded that isn't working as it goes through the process of uploading then shows an error message and fails to complete the upload.

Votes

Translate

Translate

People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And why are you reporting this in the thread relating to external editors, when there's a separate thread about it:
http://feedback.photoshop.com/photosh...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AHHHH good point! HAH... I'll go grab that. No I hadn't installed it. I thought it was different.

Votes

Translate

Translate

People's Champ ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've got all my Nik programs working except HDR Efex. Any ideas on this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That doesn't match my WIN experience - I exported a catalog from a Mac Airbook with presets stored with catalog to use the catalog as my basis - my Nik editors work if slowly in the WIN version but I have CS4 installed on my PC. On the Mac Airbook, which is less than a month old and only has the PS 6 Beta installed, neither LR 4 nor RC1 work with Nik as an external editor - would prefer that Nik works the way it always has as an external editor where I do not have to set up presets. I previously had Silverexefx Pro before buying the other Nik family members and it worked as an external editor on our iMac with presets stored with catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Regarding HDR Efex pro not working on Mac 10.7.3. I have upgraded to LR4.1RC I have reinstalled CS5.1 with no effect. Also I have tried to reinstall HDR Efex Pro but during the installation it does not show LR4 as a compatible program so I can only reinstall to LR3 which is still installed. Interestingly HDR Efex was working with LR4.0!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Re: 4.1 RC. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's now working fine (HDR Efex export preset). Have no idea why. I haven't changed anything!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 31, 2012 Mar 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HELP! I downloaded the LR 4.1 RC. I'm running an IMAC, Snow Leopard, 4 GB of Ram.
While the RC did update a few of my curves adjustments (33) on a DB of 12,000 photos - that is not realiastic, since i make curves adjustments almost every time

Main issue is still - I can't get to CS5 (that i already had installed prior to LR 4) without going thru my Nik plug in's (Yeah for NIK!!). I don't get the dialogue box that let's me choose how to open my file in CS5. I do get that necessary dialogue box if i open any of the NIK plug ins.
yes, the nik plug ins are set up as presets.
yes, i have CS5 set up as a preset
yes, I have done a shut down
So, my only way to open a photo from LR to CS5 is to first open any Nik plug in - say ok - then it creates a TIFF file.. then i can go forward with my photo processing.
if this helps my Raw files are converted to DNG's.
help me.. i have deadlines - this takes to darn long.
help, drowning in photos in Texas, debi

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 31, 2012 Mar 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Loaded Lightroom 4.1 and everything is now working fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Apr 01, 2012 Apr 01, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

works for me with 4.1 and CS5

Votes

Translate

Translate