• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Edit In Photoshop doesn't open all photos

Explorer ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You have a serious bug in Lightroom that has been there for several years and I at least reported to you twice on previous versions of Lr. It has been ignored.

This happens when both Lightroom, and Photoshop are up to date (ACR up to date).

When I select a number of photos in Lr which I have cropped and edited, to further edit in Photoshop by clicking CMD E (Mac), on occasions, (it does not happen all the time) some photos do not open in Photoshop. For example, I usually have about 30 photos selected and when I open in Ps, I find only 27. I have to go back to Lightroom, find those that were missed and open those again.

This is NOT user error, as I am 100% certain that I am SELECTING ALL before I hit CMD E.

The way to overcome this is to have Photoshop (ACR) a version behind Lightroom so that when I try to open the photos from Lightroom, it will ask me whether I want to render in Lightroom instead, and that way all photos get exported to Photoshop.

Please do not keep on ignoring this bug forever.

Bug Investigating
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
63 Comments
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there a reason why you open so many photos in Photoshop at the same time? That will slow down your computer, so if you don't really need them all open, then I suggest you work in smaller batches. That solves this bug too...
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's my most efficient workflow. Opening photos in smaller batches will slow me down. Plus that's not an excuse for not fixing the bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's my most efficient workflow. Opening photos in smaller batches will slow me down, and no it won't fix the bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Johan,
Suggesting someone change their workflow to accommodate a bug isn't really a "solve," just a patch until the bug is fixed.
There are many reasons to open a lot of images at the same time, when doing product work that requires multiple passes of actions, for instance. I do this all the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is not common for me, but has on occasion happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"30 photos selected and when I open in Ps, I find only 27"

Windows or Mac? The reason I ask is because on Windows I have seem similar problems calling PS droplets via the Export dialog's post processing step. The underlying issue was an OS limitation on the length of the command string  (a combination of the file paths to the PS executable and the TIF/PSD that is being exported) that can be sent.  One workaround is to reduce the length of the string by exporting the files to a shorter file path (eg to the D:/Exports/ rather than D:/Exports/ Year/Month......Project/). You may be hitting a variation of this, if you're on Windows.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac here.
But he isn't talking about "exporting," I don't think, he's talking about opening in photoshop

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, which is why I said "a variation of this". A series of Edit With commands may be passed as a single string. With Mac the string length can be much greater so you're less likely to run into the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please provide us the operating system you use and Lightroom Classic version?

Thanks,
Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agreed, I should have said 'workaround'.
-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mac OS. Been happening as I said for several years so not specific to latest OS or hardware. 

Lightroom and Photoshop are both latest versions (7.2 and 19.1.1) but again as I said this happens when both LR and PS are up to date and just specific to the latest versions (see my original post)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For me it happens on about 75%. Very time consuming to go back and find the missing ones.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate if you let me know whether you acknowledge this bug and whether steps are being taken to be addressed.

It has been there for several years and I'm sure you understand it would be a relief if it is fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 20, 2018 Mar 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm wondering whether some Adobe rep can acknowledge this bug and update me whether it is being addressed.

This bug shouldn't be on a professional grade software. It is very time consuming for me to go back and check which random files Lightroom failed to open every time I try to batch edit in Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yea, it's continuing to happen with me, sometimes it won't register a single image opening. After quit Lightroom and reopening it returns to normal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just another thought for a work-around. When you want to edit a bunch of photos

1) Clear the Quick Collection (⇧⌘B)
2) Add the selected photos to the Quick Collection (⌘B)
3) Keep the Quick Collection sorted by Edit Time

Doesn't solve the problem, obviously, but does make it easier to figure out what happened.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Unfortunately it doesn’t help much it only adds more steps to my workflow. I still have to go and find the photos Lightroom missed to send to photoshop.

This bug has been there for several years and it beggars belief how Adobe continues to ignore us. They do however find the time to issue press releases to boast they made “record quarterly revenue of $2.08 billion in its first quarter of fiscal year 2018”

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don’t think it happens on the first batch I try to process in Ps. It seems to always happen on some subsequent batch edits that I try to send to photoshop.

It is not feasible to quit and restart Lightroom after each batch edit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Mar 21, 2018 Mar 21, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

haha, I was not suggesting that as a "solution" 😛 It just describes features of the bug

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is this fixed in Lr 7.3?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 17, 2019 Jan 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has driven me nuts for *years*... It's not linked to the amount of photos either, sometimes I can select just three tiffs I wanted to edit in Photoshop, and only two turn up.
My workflow means I typically select 1 to 8 tiffs in LR Grid View to edit in Photoshop, "Edit in PS with LR adjustments", and I reckon I get at least one not show up in PS about 20% of the time. It's a real workflow killer to have to go back and hunt for which image/s were missed, or just close down everything from PS and go do the Edit in PS operation again.

Mac OS, multiple versions of LR, multiple versions of PS, multiple computers, for years. I don't know if the issue is with LR sending to PS, or PS missing an open command, or what - all I know is that it's a pain that's been hurting my workflow for a long long time...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When in lightroom working with raw .cr2 files from my canon 5Dmkiii or 5DS R, I will tweak in develop and then select a number of files (number doesnt matter) and use shortcut command or control click to edit the selected files in photoshop. Fairly consistently, there will be one or two missing photos that did not open in photoshop. There is no logic to it and what will be missing, photos are all same type, same edits in lightroom. Say I want to edit 15 images in photoshop, only 13 or 14 will open. I then have to go back and compare file names on all 15 photos to figure out which one(s) didn't open. 

This is all totally random but happens 95% of the time, one or more are missing. 

Latest versions of photoshop and lightroom. iMac 5K late 2014 with current Sierra.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The merged topic contains some troubleshooting steps Christopher tried at the direction of Adobe employee Rikk Flohr.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is definitely still and issue with Lr8.1 and macOS 10.13.6

Never send more than 6 or so photos to Photoshop but even that number has failed in the past.

I just tried 31 RAW files 4 different times and got the following results

I didn't check to see which ones didn't import on the ones missing 2 photos and if they were the same.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been working with it this evening - I even had the issue sending just two files to PS - only one arrived. I just think the issue is more likely to show up when you send a larger number of files.

Anecdotally, it seems that for me, when one or more images are missing, the first image in a group is more likely to be missing, but not exclusively, and the behaviour does seem to be semi-random.

I also tried resetting the prefs, and repeating the procedure, and even with initialised prefs, I just sent 3 tiffs to PS, and only two showed up - so the issue is not something funky in the prefs.

Edit: I then enabled tracebacks, ran LR, and sent 4 tiffs to PS. Only two arrived. I then quit LR, but there don't appear to be able useful debug info written to the terminal in this case (I get the same messages each time, regardless of what I do.)

Votes

Translate

Translate