• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Find and Full Screen command key shortcut conflict under OS X 10.11

Community Beginner ,
Sep 21, 2015 Sep 21, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Under Lightroom 6 on Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan (GM seed), the keyboard shortcut for the Find command and the Full Screen command swap places after 30 seconds.

Lightroom has always used Command-F to be the Find command. When I first launch Lightroom and I click on the Library menu, I see "Find (Command-F)" and under the Window menu, I only see "Full Screen Mode". Pressing the command key shortcut engages the Find command as I was used to.

After about 30 seconds, the keyboard shortcut mysteriously and silently switches places. Now, when I look under the Library menu, I only see "Find" and under the Window menu, I see "Full Screen Mode (Command-F)" and pressing the key combination changes the Full Screen mode.

I would love to see Lightroom return to the previous behavior of consistently engaging the Find function with Command-F because that is what I am used to.

Thank you.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 15, 2015 Oct 15, 2015
It appears like the shortcut was co-opted by the OS at some level

I've logged a bug for the eng team to investigate this issue. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate
18 Comments
Participant ,
Oct 05, 2015 Oct 05, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,
Here it does not change after 30 seconds.
So when I launch LR cmd F gives me the find window.
But if I switch to another application, and then turn back to Lightroom cmd F becomes Full Screen... o_O

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wow, that sounds like the OS is breaking it's own rules and stealing a command from an application (which it is not supposed to do).

We'll investigate, but you should also let Apple know about this OS issue and how it affects you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing the same behavior as Pippo Baudo. Command+F in Lightroom is bound to Library > Find until another application is launched, then the shortcut switches to Window > Enter Full Screen.

This is in the release version of El Capitan, installed from the final downloaded EC standalone installer. A beta was previously installed, in case that helps isolate the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the heads up. I did file a bug in the El Capitan Beta feedback app, but it was fairly late in the process. The issue does not seem to have been resolved as of the GM seed.

Looking forward to seeing it resolved eventually. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 09, 2015 Oct 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The CMD-F shortcut in the Library module for Find is present when starting Lightroom.
However, when switching to the Develop module, CMD-F changes to Enter Full Screen.
Even going back to Library, CMD-F no longer shortcuts to Find.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 09, 2015 Oct 09, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dude, this is driving me crazy. I'm so used to cmd-finding stuff in my catalog and now it is gone...
Not to mention the crashes when option-F2 (renaming files)... And the lost work, for it loses photo metadata! Please help! I'm starting to regret my El Capitan upgrade 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 10, 2015 Oct 10, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1

Been using Command-F on a Mac to search the Library for a long time.

Now running LR CC 2015.2.1 under El Capitan, and Command-F sometimes opens the LR search dialog, and sometimes switches to full screen.

And, if it switched to full screen -- if I Command-F again to exit full screen, the titlebar of LR loses the 'traffic light' buttons.

Feels very sloppy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To be fair to Adobe, I do believe that the programming interfaces for "Full Screen" work have changed dramatically in the Lion/Mountain Lion/Mavericks/Yosemite transition. And El Capitan introduces the most radical changes with the full screen app pinning modes. I think that it is an issue that Adobe and Apple can resolve.

(On an unrelated note— I wish I had understood more clearly the implications of buying my standalone copy of LR 6 vs. LR CC. Although truly, I just wish that Adobe would reverse that decision and allow feature parity between LR6 standalone and CC)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I played around with this some more using Lightroom 2015.2.1 in OS X 10.11.

Command+F is attached to Library > Find when Lightroom is started. If you don't do anything it'll stay that way.

Command+F moves to Window > Enter Full Screen when either:
- you switch to the Develop module
- you start any other application

There may be other actions that cause the shortcut to move, but those were the ones I could reproduce consistently a number of times. Hope that helps Adobe or Apple get it fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm confused how this problem is caused by something Apple.

I start the latest most-up-to-date version of LR under 10.11. In the Library module Cmd-F brings up the text search as in previous versions of LR. Now switch to the develop module. Do nothing. Switch back to the Library module. Cmd-F now invokes full screen, and the menu shortcut for Find is gone. This certainly appears to be only related to LR. It is also reproducible. LR seems to be reassigning the shortcut for Find when accessing the develop module, but it doesn't reassign the shortcut when returning to the Library module.

Help me understand why this is "Apple's fault".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 14, 2015 Oct 14, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing this as well. I use the "find" shortcut daily (to search keywords mostly), incredibly helpful shortcut to fix / bring back.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 15, 2015 Oct 15, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It appears like the shortcut was co-opted by the OS at some level

I've logged a bug for the eng team to investigate this issue. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't think that's correct. I just tried several other applications, and Command-F brought up the search dialog for all of them.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

+1 Here - Like others, I am really missing cmd-f functionality in LR CC 2015. My observations:

When a Catalog is first opened it works great!
Library > Find Menu even shows cmd-f assigned like before
Window > Enter Full Screen has no assignment
cmd-F works as always.

But switch apps and switch back or switch to the Develop Module and back to Library and cmd-f assignment gets swapped - moved from Library>Find to Window>Full

I tried messing with the System Level Preferences as noted by others but unclear what to input for the "Menu Title" - Anyone getting this to work?

Unclear why this is thought to be an OS issue - cmd-f still works properly in Safari, email, calendar, reminders, etc. It doesn't appear that cmd-f has been co-opted at the OS level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've updated the bug with those additional details. I'm seeing the same behavior. In any case, the team has this issue on their plate to address. Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 19, 2015 Oct 19, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's an easy workaround using System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts: https://discussions.apple.com/message...

Also, note that this person is running LR 5.7.1 on OS X 10.11 and experiencing the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 20, 2015 Oct 20, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, indeed this System Preferences workaround works!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Feb 05, 2016 Feb 05, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Although I posted in this thread earlier, I haven't seen this problem lately so I thought I'd update this for anyone referring to it.

At least from my testing, this problem seemed to go away when OS X 10.11.2 was released. It looks like it isn't necessary to use the System Preferences workaround any more.

It might have been an OS X bug after all, since the times Command-F broke and got fixed were both tied to OS X releases, not Lightroom releases.

Votes

Translate

Translate