• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: GPU causing preview error within Library, Develop & Export due to Auto Mask

Community Beginner ,
Feb 05, 2021 Feb 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm currently using LR Classic release 10.1.1, Camera raw 13.1, on an iMac running Big Sur 11.2. and GPU AMD Radeon Pro 580 - 8gb.  I use a Wacom and MIDI2LR with a Behringher X-touch.

This error is extremely similar to the problem where brush work was deleted/modified when spot removal tool was used, with this problem when you exported the error was not exported.

The problem I am experiencing is that in the library panel (and on the film strip when in develop mode) I am seeing the incorrect brushwork on a graduated filter which is being deleted/modified/affected, but not when in develop mode (develop mode is showing the correct edit).  On top of this when I export a full res jpeg I am seeing the problem in the exported jpeg.  You can see the specific problem on their faces in the images below.  I've since worked out that the library version of masking is where my Wacom pen drew, and the develop version shows the auto mask selection.  But when I export I get the library version.

1st image - Library mode with visible brush error on face

2nd image - Develop module with no error

3rd image - Develop module showing grad overlay (notice brush work is different to 1st & 4th)

4th image - screen shot of exported jpeg

Once I deleted the grad filter and then exported again and the problem was no more so this particular error is with the grad filter...

On a side note if I show the overlay when on the specific grad and then close the grad menu the red overlay does not disappear as it should, it stays visible.  If I then select library mode, the red overlay disappears, then select develop mode the red overlay is visible again even though the grad menu is collapsed and not selected.

EDIT:  Within preferences I turn off 'use graphics processor' and the develop module now shows the incorrect edit seen in Library module.  In my circumstance it appears a combination of auto mask and GPU use randomly caused this error.

Librarymodule-6097a579-43a5-4b23-8fd9-abb7232742cf-1794056834.jpgLibrarymodule-6097a579-43a5-4b23-8fd9-abb7232742cf-1794056834.jpg

Develomodulenovisualproblem-1368f551-d968-43ef-9f73-f9610fea6e17-337296474.pngDevelomodulenovisualproblem-1368f551-d968-43ef-9f73-f9610fea6e17-337296474.png
Developmodulewithgradfiltersho-1e9bd472-8a2e-4e84-99aa-00ad7b5824ba-1698506325.pngDevelopmodulewithgradfiltersho-1e9bd472-8a2e-4e84-99aa-00ad7b5824ba-1698506325.png

Screenshotofexportedjpeg-5391bfdc-2dcd-4c38-839c-e3169343c054-1965675475.pngScreenshotofexportedjpeg-5391bfdc-2dcd-4c38-839c-e3169343c054-1965675475.png
Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Greetings,

The Max 2021 Photography products updates have been released and include remedies for this topic.  The updates will be rolling out worldwide, October 26 and 27, 2021. If you do not see the updates in your Creative Cloud Desktop app, you can refresh the apps to see if the updates are available in your region.  The keyboard shortcut to refresh is [Cmd/Ctrl] + [Opt/Alt] + [ R ]. 

Note: iOS and Android updates may take up to a week to appear in your App Store.

Thank you for your pat

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
22 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can’t duplicate your issue on LrC 10.1.1 and macOS 10.15.7.     

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I appreciate your efforts...

I've only had a couple of jobs to edit since the latest update to LR and this is the only image that I've noticed have this problem.  

I've just updated the post with an image of the grad overlay and more information such as Wacom & MIDI2LR. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You should post the RAW with associated XMP to Dropbox or some other site for others to try. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It’s not raw related. I just synced all adjustments to another image and the exact same thing is occurring.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You said this was the only image to have the issue so sharing the XMP and RAW would allow others to see what edits were applied and maybe duplicate the issue.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 06, 2021 Feb 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@robert_somrak 

I just imported a jpeg, copy & pasted the affected photos edits onto the jpeg and I'm getting the same problem.  

Library module is showing incorrect & different brush work on the graduated filter compared to develop module.   When I export the image, the library version is getting exported with the incorrect brush work.

all of the edits I've done are visible in the screen shots I've included.

I'm thinking this is a similar bug to this one https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-spot-removal-removi...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@robert_somrak Within preferences I turn off 'use graphics processor' and the develop module now shows the incorrect edit seen in Library module.  

In my circumstance it appears a combination of auto mask and GPU use randomly caused this error...

This doesn't build confidence, V10 has had too many problems like this!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tried a few more using the AutoMask to erase part of the faces and the Library and Develop look the same with my GPU on.  macOS 10.15.7.  As you said it appears random.  It could be as issue only on Big Sur.

I don't think you will get help on this unless you provide the RAW and XMP files with the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Below are screen shots of GPU being toggled on and off to show the error appear/disappear .

Short answer for me is to leave GPU unchecked but hopefully Adobe will acknowledge this glitch and update with a fix to this software bug... @Rikk 

I have tried using V10 & V10.1  with the same results.

ScreenShot20210206at10.39.34AM-ae6e2ac0-fa1c-4d73-ba2b-1fca6b74499f-623345953.png
ScreenShot20210206at10.39.42AM-e0726f1c-771e-49c6-9b04-9769fc70e58d-655542980.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Feb 09, 2021 Feb 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk  I had another play today,  I imported a blank white jpeg, synced edits to white blank and exported.  The exported jpeg is on the left of the screen shot below.  You can see the masking is obviously being affected in the filmstrip preview (which mirrors the image shown in library mode).  The export is the same as library preview and not the develop preview.

When Exported the final image is not including the auto mask selection, which is a huge problem.  Thankfully I caught the problem when I was checking the final gallery before delivering to the client.

I have been using LR since its creation.  Usually I shoot 150 sessions a year and love LR but I am going to have to go back to using 9.4 because of the auto mask problems.  I was affected by the other Auto mask problem where areas were deleted when spot removal was used ( I believe that was corrected for me in an update).  

I understand this is a random occurrence but it's something that has only happened since v10.  Sadly due to covid I have only completed a few sessions this year and have had problems with LR each time.  

Please let me know if you need any system information to help investigate this problem.

Mahalo Mark

ScreenShot20210209at10.30.59AM-ab55155f-2077-4efb-a0b2-358205e2b134-243441870.png 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 16, 2021 Feb 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A DNG with the edits would be the best thing you could provide at this point.  Preferably would be to have the one from your example screenshot. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rikk,

Sorry for the delayed response.  I have been using LR V9 exclusively because of the problem I found with Grad Filter/Auto mask brush and have zero issues with v9.  I recently started using LR V10.3 thinking whatever problem I had would have been cleaned up with version 10.3.  Sadly nope.  

The error with the brush mask is still happening for me on very selective photos.  I have worked out that if I turn off GPU acceleration the 'missed' brush work visually appears in the develop module.  Turn GPU back on and the missed brush work is only visible in the filmstrip in develop module, in the library module or in the exported file.

How can I send you the DNG from the original above...  

The only way I can reliably use v10.3 is to have GPU acceleration turned off.  As a professional with 37 hours of photography session time in June alone any kind of performance I can gain is important.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can provide...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jul 02, 2021 Jul 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FYI this is a screen shot of PS Camera RAW with a DNG created from a problem image.  This clearly shows the issue (look at the thumbnail) with the masking within the exported file with GPU turned on.

ScreenShot20210702at2.52.01PM2-115b34f5-a510-44dc-b192-96d512b888bf-132231431.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 12, 2021 Jul 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can share your DNG to a service like Dropbox, Creative Cloud or similar and send me the link. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Aloha @Rikk ,

Fingers crossed this Drop Box link works, haven't used it in years! https://www.dropbox.com/s/2agos81vyoocegm/ExportError1-1.dng?dl=0

As an FYI a few other strange things that are happening with my system is that I occasionally will see a preview image in library mode (full not grid) and the image space will be completely bright red, the thumbnail at the bottom of the screen will show the correct image.  In past Lr versions I'd occasionally get an inch rectangle of mixed colors but this is the whole image.  I will also occasionally move to the next photo and the full size preview will be blank, ie a black screen, no matter how long I wait a preview does not appear.

The main problem is the auto mask brush work that is being shown incorrectly when GPU is switched ON.

Cheers, Mark

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk  Just had the red preview happen again... this was with GPU turned off.  I can move to the next photo and back again and it will continue to show red, if I zoom on the red image then the 100% view will show correctly, and the fit view will also show correctly from there on out...  Typically I always have smart previews & 1:1 previews created.

IMG_5234-b8e95544-4c8f-441a-8136-be7ce571e6bb-255472435.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 13, 2021 Jul 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I took a look at your file and see the difference you describe. I also tried it in Camera Raw and it appears there as well - meaning that this isn't a Lightroom issue but rather with the Camera Raw engine. I will be logging a bug for investigation with the Camera RAw team. 

Thanks for the example.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  So currently the only solution for not me not having this error occur is to revert back to LR v9.4 or not use the GPU? Correct?

Also am Correct in thinking there is no way to convert a LR v10 catalogue to work in LR v9.4.

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't have the information to make that call. I can't duplicate the issue on my own without your file. I am waiting on the engineer to review the bug and advise.  Do you know that 9.4 works and that 10.0, 10.1, 10.2, 10.3 do not?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, that specific problem happens in all V10’s and not in 9.4.

FYI I think the problem has only happened with Nikon D850 raw files..

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Deleted User I just downgraded and installed ACR 12.4 and the main image shows the same as the thumbnail.  I did the same with ACR 13.1 and initially both the main image and thumbnail showed the same but after a few seconds the main image shows the 'false' masking, the same as ACR13.3.  So ACR 12.4 shows the file correctly and ACR 13.1/3 shows it incorrectly.

With ACR12.4 & LR v10.3 Lr still shows the false mask.  I presume LR v10.3 comes preloaded with ACR13.3.  I'm guessing the answer is no but is there a way to point LR v10.3 to ACR 12.4 and not to ACR 13.3?

As an update... with the GPU selection on LR 10.3.  If I select 'custom' and then I only select 'Use GPU for display' I have no problem.  But if I select 'use GPU for image processing' I DO get the problem.

So as far as I can tell the combination of using ACR13 & GPU usage is triggering the problem with showing the wrong preview in develop module.

In case this info is of any use:

Model Identifier: iMac18,3

Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Core i7

Processor Speed: 4.2 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 4

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 8 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 48 GB

System Firmware Version: 429.120.4.0.0

SMC Version (system): 2.41f2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Greetings,

The Max 2021 Photography products updates have been released and include remedies for this topic.  The updates will be rolling out worldwide, October 26 and 27, 2021. If you do not see the updates in your Creative Cloud Desktop app, you can refresh the apps to see if the updates are available in your region.  The keyboard shortcut to refresh is [Cmd/Ctrl] + [Opt/Alt] + [ R ]. 

Note: iOS and Android updates may take up to a week to appear in your App Store.

Thank you for your patience.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate