• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Guided upright doesn't work with some Leica DNG files

New Here ,
Dec 12, 2020 Dec 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encountered with an issue with Guided Upright.

When I try to straighten up things for DNG file it doesn't work.
I have this issue on both Mac and Windows.
The DNG file is a raw file from Leica M10-R
See the video below. I forgot to click Update in video, but it doesn't do anything.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
23 Comments
Participant ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working fine on my Windows 10 machine with Lightroom V10.1. Tested on Canon and Nikon files. Perhaps you are being punished for buying a Leica. But seriously, while DNG started as a standard (as did TIF), companies have been messing with it. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 13, 2020 Dec 13, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Converted to DNG? Or regular raw files?

My Sony ARW files working fine too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I tested on Mac and cannot reproduce what you are seeing.  There is a brief delay while the photo recalculates but it does render with the changes. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 14, 2020 Dec 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk is there a way to enable any kind of logging in Lightroom? Also here is an example of the raw file I have issues with.

Please let me know if I can provide anything else to help with this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Dec 15, 2020 Dec 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for providing the file and thank you for bringing this to our attention. I was able to reproduce this with your image as well as DNG images from other Leica cameras. (M10 Monochrome, M10-P, M10-D, and S2)

I have logged a bug and will update this thread when we learn more.

Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 03, 2021 Jan 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since upgrading to MacOS Big Sur 11.1 (20C69), the Transform > Guided tool has stopped working for me. You can set the two vertical and two horizontal lines, but no changes are made to the photo - it stays just as it was. Any solutions to this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2021 Jan 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can't reproduce the problem on my Mac running Big Sur and Lightroom Classic 10.1. Guided transform works as expected. Maybe you should try resetting the preferences.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the tip and for checking though unfortunately this does not work for me. I have reset the preferences successfully but guided transform still does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any chance you could record a video showing the failure and post a link to it here?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, please upload a sample failing photo to Dropbox or similar and post the sharing link here.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 05, 2021 Jan 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks - @Deleted User here's a link to a video - https://www.dropbox.com/s/c1dt2wrswb361o8/guided-transform-not-working.mov?dl=0. As you can see, I move the handles at the end of the lines but no transform takes place. I have been using this tool successfully for at least a couple of years and it only stopped working a few days ago when I upgraded to MacOS Big Sur. Somebody else mentioned above that they had experienced the same behaviour on Leica DNG files, and this is indeed a Leica DNG file but I have been doing the same thing successfully previous to this OS update so it was not a problem on Leica M10-R DNG files prior to this. I haven't installed any new firmware recently so the DNG files themselves have not changed. Thanks! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just tested the same DNG file on another laptop, using Lightroom Classic 8.3.1 on MacOS 10.15.5 Catalina and the guided transform tool works fine so it doesn't appear to be a problem with the DNG file. One difference between the two seems to be that on the more recent version (the one that is not working) the 'Update' button above the 'Guided' button seems to be active, whereas on the older version it is not. Clicking the 'Update' button does not appear to do anything - I have no idea what it's for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks. Here's the link to the file on Dropbox: https://www.dropbox.com/s/0ud3v8mq821jiql/L1008375.DNG?dl=0

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The misbehavior occurs reliably in my Mac LR 10.1 with your DNG and a sample Leica M10-R DNG from dpreview.com. 

It occurs intermittently with DNGs from the DJI Mavic Mini 2, the Lightroom Mobile camera app, and from with Sony RX100-V raws converted to DNG. But I can't figure out a reliable way to make the behavior occur with these.   After the misbehavior occurs with these, the Transform > Guided panel shows the warning, "! Invalid guide configuration".

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for checking, John. Good to know.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Guided Transform on my Windows 10 machine won't work on this image either. As I've many other dng files that work fine, must be something about support for the images from your Leica. Did monitor with Task Manager to ensure that it wasn't working. 

While not a solution, all the sliders work fine. 

Constrain crop had no effect. 

Auto did work to a degree but I wouldn't find the result acceptable without further adjustments. A Rotate of +.03 after Auto did give a fairly good though not great result. Attached. 

So another bug for Adobe to fix.  

Leica_0001-53640b8f-03f0-4d5d-a527-cf6757926036-858101573.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2021 Jan 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting that it does not work on Windows 10 either. This appears to be a new bug - it has been working on the same file in previous versions of Lightroom Classic. Thanks for your help. Over to Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jan 08, 2021 Jan 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Peter, 

Another go-around. 

As you are probably aware, DNG is only a pretend standard, like TIF. Otherwise you would not be having this problem as the Guided Transform works just fine with many other DNG formats. So I ran some tests, exporting the DNG as a DNG but without any success, the resultant files didn't work. However, exporting as a 16 bit TIF does enable the tool. A least one downside is that the file is now almost 6 times as large.  

Now here's the funny part. Exporting the new TIF as a DNG and then editing this DNG and everything is good. The Transform functions work just fine with this DNG. Well, sort of good, you still have a file that is 4 times as large as the original. 

I am not by any means a TIF expert so I don't know if there is any loss of quality in these DNG => TIF => DNG conversions. Viewing them in the Library module at 200% with the comparison tool, I couldn't see any differences. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 04, 2021 Mar 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rick,

I wonder, if you have a solution for the described issue in the meantime?

Best,

Monika

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 17, 2021 Aug 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

Updates to Camera Raw, Lightroom Classic and the Lightroom Ecosystem products for Desktop, Mobile and Web, were released today and contain a fix for this issue.

Please refresh your Creative Cloud application and install your update when it becomes available. Thank you for your patience.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 16, 2023 Apr 16, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Apologies for replying to such an old thread. I'm currently having this issue on the latest version of Lightroom 6.2 for macOS. When I try to use the guided upright tool on my Leica SL2-S files, nothing happens. I seem to be having this issue on any files from my Leica SL2-S and files from a friend's Leica M11. I have Fuji X-T3 files in my library and the guided upright tool appears to be working correctly with those files. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate