• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: iPhone video Capture Time is shifted upon Import

Explorer ,
Feb 03, 2014 Feb 03, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Beginning with at least the iPhone 4S, and continuing with the 5 and 5s, I see that videos shot with those devices show a capture time that seems to relate to GMT, when it was actually shot at GMT -5.

The videos show a correct creation time in Finder prior to import, but this odd shift occurs upon import. I know that the capture time can be edited in Lightroom, but I'd rather see the correct time on import.

This happens in Lightroom 5.3, but also occurred all the way back into 4.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 3 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017
Lightroom CC2015.12/6.12 was released today and should address this issue.  Please update your Lightroom to the latest version and let us know if you continue to see the issue. Thank you for your patience.

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2017/07/lightroom-cc-2015-12-now-available.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , May 19, 2017 May 19, 2017
Hi,

Capture Time for Videos captured on Apple's iOS Camera app now shows correct value in Lightroom (CC 2015.10 / 6.10 onwards).

Note:
  • Videos captured from other iOS apps like Instagram, Facebook, Hyperloop, Snapchat, etc are shot with MPEG4 Standard. 
  • The MPEG4 standard only provides specification of capture time in GMT. That is the reason why each vendor decides (or not) to put time zone info into proprietary location in a proprietary format. 
  • Videos by these apps do not have Time Zone info.
Thus, ...

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017
This issue should be fixed in Lightroom CC2015.10/6.10.  Please update your system and let us know if you have any additional issues. 

Additional information on this update can be found here: http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2017/04/lightroom-cc-2015-10-now-available.html

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 110 Replies 110
110 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Jun 03, 2017 Jun 03, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When .MOV files are imported into LR 6.10.1 from my iPhone 7 Plus, LR randomly applies the UTC timezone fix described in the release notes for 2015.10/6.10.  Some of the videos show the correct time rather than UTC, while others still show in UTC time.  There does not appear to be any obvious pattern, since each time the same set of videos are imported, the fix is randomly applied to some files but not others.  This is most perplexing.  At least before the "fix" was introduced, I could bulk shift the datetime to fix the defect, but now that isn't even an option, so now the situation is much worse than before.  As least before it was predictable behaviour. 

I have figured out another workaround, which work perfectly so far after repeatedly importing.  It is however, slightly “destructive” which is unfortunate, and I am working on some alternatives.

The workaround fix is to simply run the following ExifTool command on all .MOV files that came out of myiPhone, before importing into LR:

exiftool -overwrite_original "-quicktime:createdate<quicktime:creationdate" "-quicktime:modifydate<quicktime:creationdate” FILE/DIR

I really don’t know what on earth is going on in the LR code, but if I could fix the issue so quickly and simply, it’s quite beyond me why this is so hard for LR to resolve.  Just use the quicktime:creationdate tag in .MOV files from iPhones.  Maybe there is more to it, but the randomness of the defect is very worrying, and this works perfectly so far.

I notice that I am not the only one experiencing this defect - here is another:
https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/iphone_video_capture_time_is_shifted_upon_imp...

I am using LR 6.10.1 on Mac Sierra 10.12.5 and my iPhone is running 10.3.2.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark,

Could you share a sample video where you are seeing the problem consistently to keniya@adobe.com? This will help us investigate more.

Thanks,
Smit Keniya
Adobe Lightroom Team

Smit | Lightroom Classic Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 05, 2017 Jun 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Smit, thanks for your reply - the problem is that this is random, so sending you an example single file is not going to be too helpful. Every time I import the exact same set of files, a random different set of files are affected.  How else would you like to drill down into this?
Thanks,
Mark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark,

I am trying to reproduce this on our end.

Just to confirm, you were facing the issue with videos from iOS Camera app or did you use other apps for capturing the video?

Also,  could share the set of the videos on which you are facing this continuously with some of the random files with me?

Thanks,
Smit Keniya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Smit, the set I had been using was about 50GB. Perhaps we could arrange a screen share session at I can show you what is happening? Otherwise I will try do repeated imports and see if there are any files that consistently have issues.

And yes, all from the iPhone.

Thanks,
Mark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mark,

Could you share the details of the videos?
  • Shot in - 720P, 1080P or 4K?
  • Were any of them slow-mo or time-lapse?
This will help in creating a set on our end which is like your set

Thanks,
Smit Keniya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Smit, 
They were all in 4K, and I think there was one or two slo-mo files - I'll double check and confirm.
What I'll try and do is repeatedly import the set, and generate a report each time which I can share with you, and I'll include as many data points in the report as possible.

Thanks,
Mark.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just FYI that my experience above is identical to marks.  The importing is hit or miss, sometimes it gets the timezone right, sometimes it's wrong, and If I reimport the same files, the ones it gets it right/wrong on changes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Mark! I will try to reproduce on our end.

Thanks,
Smit Keniya

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jun 10, 2017 Jun 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did my 3 month unloading photos/vidoes from various devices today and ran into this a bunch of times.  The problem is that the same video imported over and over again will sometimes come in in GMT time and sometimes the correct local time.  Unfortunately us sending videos in isn't going to help resolve this.  I took a video of my lightroom experience of a video from 2 this afternoon which showed 9 in lightroom after initial import. I removed that single video from the catalog and then resyncd the folder and on the second sync, it got the correct local time of 2pm.  I sent the details to your e-mail address Smit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Andrew!

I am trying to reproduce the issue on our end.

Thanks,
Smit Keniya

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jul 18, 2017 Jul 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom CC2015.12/6.12 was released today and should address this issue.  Please update your Lightroom to the latest version and let us know if you continue to see the issue. Thank you for your patience.

http://blogs.adobe.com/lightroomjournal/2017/07/lightroom-cc-2015-12-now-available.html
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 19, 2017 Jul 19, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rikk.  Hope it finally works. 

My desktop app is not showing the latest update, nor does this page.  Is there another way to get it, or should I just wait and be patient?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can download updates directly from here: https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/lightroom-downloads.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It can take a few hours for the updates to propagate through the server. Your CC app refreshes every 24 hours. If you can't/won't wait, you can get it from the link John provided. 
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The update's not at the link John posted, either.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You need to click on the blue arrow to see the actual download links (see the screenshot):
RackMultipart201707191277311w4-87dfe092-24ef-488a-8873-345690d41307-403916202.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's right.  And when you do, what do you see?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting, 6.12 has been removed from that page since I downloaded it from there late last night.  But these links work:

Windows: http://swupdl.adobe.com/updates/oobe/aam20/win/AdobeLightroom-6.0/6.12/setup.zip

Mac: http://swupdl.adobe.com/updates/oobe/aam20/mac/AdobeLightroom-6.0/6.12/setup.dmg

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.  How do I go about installing from that file?  The AdobePatchInstaller didn't work for me.  Do I just drag the Lightroom application from within the unzipped Assets1 folder to the Application folder?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Mac, I just run the AdobePatchInstaller.  What happens when you double-click it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It says it's not for me.  Sounds like something I say to my 7-year old.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do Help > System Info -- what is the exact version shown?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CC 2015.10 [ 1111918 ]

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If the error is, "This patch is not applicable for you", see this thread for possible solutions: https://forums.adobe.com/message/9689982 .  In general, the update process isn't too robust, unfortunately: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/what-is-wrong-with-the-lightroom-update-proce...

Votes

Translate

Translate