Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Keyword options no longer available in LR4

Participant ,
Mar 17, 2012 Mar 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When one has a keyword hierarchy:

In LR3, one could skip a level in selecting which keywords are exported. For example in the hierarchy A, B, C (where A is top parent) one could set A=Include on export, B=Do not include on Export + Export Containing, and C=Include on Export + Export Containing. In this way, on a photo with only keyword "C", on export we'd have A and C but not B.

In LR4 all my LR3 keywords that had this pattern were changed during catalog conversion and I can no longer set this pattern. Turning off "Include on Export" now turns off "Export Containing" and "Export Synonyms" rather than leaving them alone as in LR3.

This is a HUGE problem for me as I have my entire keyword hierarchy (over 3,000 KW's) designed to allow skipping levels. In addition, I have cases where the actual Keyword is for my workflow and convience but but the synonym is what I want exported (not the actual KW) which I can also no longer seem to do.

See screen shots below

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 03, 2012 Oct 03, 2012
This issue has been fixed in Lightroom 4.2.

Thanks,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate
87 Comments
Participant ,
Aug 28, 2012 Aug 28, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I concur.

Yeahhhhhhhhh Adobe. I just installed LR 4.2RC and the keyword export functionality has been restored to the way it worked in versions prior to 4.0. Not only that, but Kewords where I had "Include on Export" turned off and one or both of "Export Containing Keywords" and "Export Synonyms" turned on in LR3 prior to upgrading to LR4 have now reverted back to what they were in LR3. I did not have to do anything other than install LR 4.2RC and my old KW's had reverted to their prior (LR3) settings. This is wonderful!

The only work I need to do is deal with KW's I've added (or modified?) since converting to LR4 and then undo all the work around KW changes I've made since moving to 4.0.

Thanks Adobe!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We generally don't mark these forum threads as resolved until the fix is available in a final release (not just an RC), since it's always conceivable we could encounter some horrendous bug, or similar disaster, that would force us to remove the fix from the final release.

But having said that, yes, this is fixed in the 4.2 RC. When you uncheck "Include on Export" the other two checkboxes also uncheck (a nod to the privacy concerns), but they do not gray out, and can be re-checked. The three checkboxes now operate independently of each other.

Thanks,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ben,

If you hear that this "fix' for some reason will not be in the LR 4.2 produciton release can you please alert this thread?

Thanks -- Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know... do you promise not to shoot the messenger? ;-)

-Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 31, 2012 Aug 31, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greaaaaaaaaaaat !

Many thanks, Adobe !

Just ordered LR 4 and will be upgrading as soon as I get it.

Thanks, guys !

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 07, 2012 Sep 07, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this similar problem and believe the issue has to do with LR3 users who are not-very-clever. If they believe a keyword parent should NOT be exported, then that keyword should NOT be in that hierarchy in the first place. For example, using the file-path in the footer of a document would expose the naming structure of your file which is very obvious. They should use Collections for that purpose.

The problem with this issue in LR4 is now for people who have very detailed, structured sets of images, it is now very difficult to maintain a useful keyword vocabulary.

In my case, I have images of equipment and engineering related items. For example, I will have keyword parent-child groups like 'Railway', 'Type', 'Manufacturer', 'Model', 'Sub-Group Number'.

I do not want Keywords 'Type', for that means nothing by itself, but excluding this will not include 'Railway', which is means a lot.

To me, this 'bug' is really a defect in the masses' way of thinking...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have this similar problem and believe the issue has to do with LR3 users who are not-very-clever. If they believe a keyword parent should NOT be exported, then that keyword should NOT be in that hierarchy in the first place. For example, using the file-path in the footer of a document would expose the naming structure of your file which is very obvious. They should use Collections for that purpose.

The problem with this issue in LR4 is now for people who have very detailed, structured sets of images, it is now very difficult to maintain a useful keyword vocabulary.

In my case, I have images of equipment and engineering related items. For example, I will have keyword parent-child groups like 'Railway', 'Type', 'Manufacturer', 'Model', 'Sub-Group Number'.

I do not want Keywords 'Type', for that means nothing by itself, but excluding this will not include 'Railway', which is means a lot.

To me, this 'bug' is really a defect in the masses' way of thinking...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jostein, that is exactly how I feel about the issue - you've worded it more concisely than I could ever attempt to on my own. It is a great solution.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Howard,

You do realize the Adobe fixed this probem in LR4.2 RC (RC = Release Candidate) which you can download and use? In order to make everyone happy, they introduced a bit of logic when you edit the attributes of a KW. If, the "Export KW" had been on and you turn it off, then it unchecks the other two (nod to the privacy concern). However, once "Export KW" is off, then you can turn on either or both of the other two, giving us back the same capability we had prior to relase 4.0.

In yoour example, in the 4.2RC version you are able to have your Railway -> type -> Manufacturer -> Model -> Sub-group hierarchy in place but on export of a photo that just has the sub-group KW attached you can get Railway -> Manufacturer -> Model -> Sub-group included on the exported photo (note that the "Type" KW is not exported but "Railway" is). I think this is what you were after.

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 03, 2012 Oct 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has been fixed in Lightroom 4.2.

Thanks,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Great work, Lightroom team! 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Thank you. I have been using LR4.2 since it was first made available as a RC (Releas Candidate) and the Keyword Fix present in this release has been a life saver (one I reverted my KW's back to "normal" from the Kludgie work around I had to implement after installing 4.0.

Thanks again for listening to your user community and taking action on this item

Dan

Votes

Translate

Translate