• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Latitude/longitude improperly rounded when stored in metadata preset

LEGEND ,
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you create a metadata preset using Save Current Settings As New Preset, LR incorrectly rounds the coordinates of the selected photo to the nearest second before saving them in the preset.   When the preset is applied to another photo, it will get the rounded coordinates, rather than the original.    On average, this can result in the second photo being about 17m / 55' away from where it should be.

Tested in LR CC 2015.10 / OS X 10.12.3.

To reproduce:

1. In the Map module, select a photo A in the filmstrip.

2. Paste these coordinates into the Metadata > Location > GPS field:

37.899630, -119.221138

(which is 37° 53' 58.668" N, 119° 13' 16.0968" W).

3. In the Preset dropdown, select Edit Presets.

4. Do Check None and then check the box to the right of GPS.

5. Save the preset as "Test GPS".

6. In the filmstrip, select another photo B and apply the metadata preset Test GPS.

7. Zoom in the map all the way and observe that photo B is about 12m from photo A.

8. Open the file "Test GPS.lrtemplate" and observe that it contains the coordinates incorrectly rounded to the nearest second:

["com.adobe.GPS"] = "37°53'59\" N 119°13'16\" W",

9. Use the command File > Plug-in Extras > Show Catalog Metadata > Show from this plugin and observe that LR has stored photo A's coordinates in the catalog correctly, without rounding:

gps = {latitude = 37.89963, longitude = -119.221138}

----------------------------
A very inconvenient workaround is to obtain the exact decimal coordinates from the Show Catalog Metadata plugin and paste them into the GPS field of the preset.

This bug may be related to another longstanding bug, where LR displays coordinates in the Metadata panel rounded to the nearest second: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/gps_coordinates_cannot_be_entered .  

But it may be a completely different code path, so the bug reports shouldn't be merged.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018
Hi all,

This issue should be fixed in today's Lightroom Classic CC 7.2 version. Please update your application and let us know if you still see this issue!

Lightroom Classic CC 7.2 is now available!

Thanks,
Melissa

Votes

Translate

Translate
7 Comments
New Here ,
May 08, 2017 May 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi John,

Thanks for reporting the issue. We are able to reproduce this and will look into it.

Thanks,
Garima

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Feb 12, 2018 Feb 12, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all,

This issue should be fixed in today's Lightroom Classic CC 7.2 version. Please update your application and let us know if you still see this issue!

Lightroom Classic CC 7.2 is now available!

Thanks,
Melissa
Melissa Rios, Product Manager, Community Experiences & Platforms | Adobe

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I verified this is fixed in LR 7.2, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 18, 2018 May 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Melissa,

My concern is that my version of LR may not be exporting full precision GPS coordinates to EXIF data.

Can you let me know if the precision issue was also addressed in earlier versions of LR Classic. I'm currently on LR 6.14.

Sincerely,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

We addressed this issue in Lightroom Classic 7.2.

Lightroom 6.14 does not have this fix.

Thanks,
Smit Keniya
Lightroom Classic CC Team.

Smit | Lightroom Classic Team

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Smit,

Thanks very much for the quick reply. I was comparing the Save Metadata coordinates to the coordinates with the closest timestamp in my .GPX tracklog (i.e. emulating the Auto-Tag feature).

It seems to me the LR6.14 only retains about 5 decimal digits of precision for latitude and longitude stored in degrees (despite the saved metadata having 10 digits). If correct, it implies that intrinsic precision in LR 6.14 results in no better than about 1 meter location accuracy.

Does this match your understanding? It's quite important to me as I am considering purchasing a rather expensive GPS receiver that has about 1 meter accuracy and would only do so if that accuracy is preserved within the LR Map Module and EXIF exporting.

Sincerely,

David

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Feb 17, 2019 Feb 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Hi, unfortunately this issue has still not been solved as of LR Classic CC 8.0 - the exported pictures don't preserve the original DD coordinates, and rounds off at around 3 decimals... Any solutions?RackMultipart20190218733951vj9-aaf52fa1-e298-4a09-bfef-9b35e76b86d1-750214520.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate