Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Latitude/longitude search wildly inaccurate in Map module

LEGEND ,
Jan 23, 2012 Jan 23, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Lightroom 4 beta seems great so far (I'm an LR3 user), but the maps feature (which I'm most excited about) exhibits perplexing behaviour when searching for a specific lat/long in non-urban areas.

Repro steps:

2. Paste the following lat/long (-27.033813,153.465791) into the maps.google.com UI and search. Google maps places 2 markers on the map:

3. a green arrow showing the actual position (a helipad on Moreton Island, Australia)
  5. a red blob showing the nearest house (in a resort on the same island but 18 kilometres away).
  7. Paste the same lat/long into the Lightroom 4 beta "maps" module search and note that LR4beta is treating the nearest house as the result, not the actual lat/long (i.e. the helipad).

Note that repeating these steps for an urban lat/long (e.g. the position of your house) produces very accurate results.

This may be a limitation with the google maps API, but it is an unexpected (and unwanted behaviour). Entering a lat/long should take you to that spot, not to some house in the 'nearest' town (which in australia can be a few hours drive away).

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Oct 19, 2015 Oct 19, 2015
I'm not able to reproduce this issue using the coordinates from the original poster (Lightroom correctly places me at the helicopter pad). I am, however, able to reproduce the bug using the coordinates from Styrbjörn (Lightroom and Google maps produce different results).

I'll report this issue to the engineers. In the meantime, let's just cross our fingers and hope that Lewis's readers are smart enough to stay out of moving traffic, no matter what we may suggest. ;-)

-Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate
28 Comments
LEGEND ,
Oct 31, 2015 Oct 31, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Google Maps is the one picking the named entities for given coordinates. I would guess it has a complicated set of heuristics designed for giving directions (by car, by walking), and those heuristics probably are not as well-tuned for less-populated areas.

The bug is not that the heuristically chosen named entity is sometimes wildly wrong; rather, LR should just be showing the exact coordinates, not a "nearby" named entity. Google Maps can do this, and it would be straightforward for LR to do it too -- LR is just misusing the Google Maps API.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 01, 2015 Nov 01, 2015

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'd agree with this statement:

...LR should just be showing the exact coordinates, not a "nearby" named entity. Google Maps can do this, and it would be straightforward for LR to do it too -- LR is just misusing the Google Maps API.

except for "nearby" unless "nearby" means possibly miles farther away from closer named entities.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 05, 2017 May 05, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
I can no longer reproduce this behavior in CC 2015.10 / OS X 10.12.3.  I tried these coordinates from previous posts in this topic:

-27.033813, 153.465791
37.101, -118.733
 44.498656,-118.639716 
30.832783, 111.109783
-33.840663, 151.071579
 N44.46049° W110.82893°

In all, when I paste them into Google Maps search box and into the LR Map search box, the displayed markers are at identical locations.

I'm marking this topic as "solved"; but if someone encounters a counter-example, please post!

Votes

Translate

Translate