• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Library Previews not updating

Participant ,
Apr 22, 2022 Apr 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This hasn't ever happened to me previously and I edit hundreds of images a day, as a wedding photographer. Has only appeared since latest update (so far as I've seen). 

Edit an image in Develop mode, normally the thumbnail at the bottom would auto update with the new preview/look. It doesn't anymore. Go to Library mode to check, no, no update to the preview, it's still the old look. Force rebuild standard preview (and 1:1 preview) no effect. The Library preview will not update to the new look created in Develop mode. 

Quit LR, then restart it, the preview is updated. 

Even did a Sync of one process, which was converting to BW across 5 images. Four of the images changed profile to the new look, the 1st image in the group didn't. Stuck with previous old version of the look. Quit and restart LR it changed to new look. 

MacOSX 10.15.7

Hampshire Wedding Photographer / Documentary Wedding Photographer
Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 14, 2022 Jun 14, 2022

Updates to the Adobe Photography Products were released on June 13.  Using this release we are no longer able to reproduce this error internally. Please install the update and let us know if the issue has disappeared for you as well.

If you do not see the update (Mac and Win) you can refresh your Creative Cloud App with the keyboard shortcut [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Thank you for your patience.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 243 Replies 243
243 Comments
Participant ,
Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having same issues as the OP. Changes made in Develop module are not reflected in Library module. Discarding 1:1 preview in Library does not force it to update the preview. Only started happening since recent LR update.

Furthermore, any changes made using Quick Develop in Library module do nothing. I have to jump into Develop to see any changes made using quick develop in Library. This is bad.

Maybe you should pull off this update until a fix is found instead of asking everyone to revert to previous versions. It took me a day of pulling my hair with this issue before I found this thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 05, 2022 Jun 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR generally releases about every 8 weeks.  So if history is any guide, we'd expect to see LR 11.4 in the next week or so, which one hopes will fix the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Mentor ,
Jun 06, 2022 Jun 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@johnrellis I first reported the issue last year and it goes much deeper than just previews, as the exported files sometimes don't have the changes applied.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

WHEN?

, THIS IS REDICULOUS

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@johnrellis How hopeful of you! Meanwhile, those who rely on Lightroom for their livelihood shoud put it on pause, waiting for Adobe to fix their mistakes... HOPING that MAYBE they will be able to use LR again as intended. Will our license fees be reimbursed for those 8 weeks, at the very least?

Because this bug basically renders the entire Library module unusable since it cannot be used for Quick Develop purposes, not for auto syncing, not for copy and pasting settings from one photo to another, not for seeing changes made in Develop module, etc.

So right now, nobody needs any fluffing, we need a working Library module ASAP. And no, I don't want to revert to another version and start keeping track of which version I reverted from, on what date, and to what version I should not update to and what will the version number be of the next update. That's Adobe's job. FIX IT!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe recommends at the top of this thread rolling back to LR 11.2 until the issue is fixed. (That's what I've done for my work.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@johnrellis So Adobe's recommendation is to roll back to 11.2 February 2022 version  so I can once again lose pages in my books and have a glitchy Wacom tablet again. Yeah, sounds like a great "workaround": https://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom-classic/kb/fixed-issues.html#feb-2022

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I first reported the issue last year and it goes much deeper than just previews, as the exported files sometimes don't have the changes applied."

There are two groups of bug reports mixed together in this thread, and they could well have different causes:

- Some posts are about develop settings not getting successfully copied to all the target photos -- Develop shows the old settings on some of the target photos.  Some of these posts long predate 11.3.

- Most of the other posts here are about the Library previews failing to update in various situations -- after individual changes in Develop or after a batch copy.  Develop shows the correct new settings but the previews aren't getting updated.  Most or all of these reports are for 11.3 or 11.3.1.  In this category, I haven't seen any reports of Develop showing the correct settings but Export not rendering them (I may have missed them, obviously).

It's unfortunate the two categories of reports have been merged together under the title "Library Previews not updating".  I helped distinguish some of the early reports prior to the merging, but now they're all lumped together.

I think it would be better for someone experiencing the first category of symptoms to start a new thread, "Develop settings not copying to all target photos".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@johnrellis Why would that be better? The underlying issue may very well be the same problem - possibly the Develop module not triggering the necessary function to update/copy settings from a given photo to another or many others, or maybe not returning the necessary information that would enable other modules to trigger the updating of previews.

Regardless, I think it would be best to get Adobe's attention to this thread as much ass possible, instead of starting yet another thread that will get lost among hundred others. I invite anyone else having an interest in this issue to keep replying and upvoting to maintain the momentum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Why would that be better? The underlying issue may very well be the same problem"

If it's a different underlying cause, I'm afraid that the smaller number of reports about copying failures will get lost among all the other posts (as has happened more than once in the past).

If it's the same underlying cause, then separating out a few reports of different symptoms won't have any practical impact on the preview-update issue -- this thread already has many more replies and votes than any other bug report filed in the past several months.  

The thread is marked "Started" at the top, which means that Adobe has acknowledged the problem and is actually working on it.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think I found a solution to this "massive" problem that Adobe needs 8 weeks to "investigate" and "hopefully" find a solution for, and for which their only "workaround" was to revert to an earlier, buggier, less performant version of Lightroom.

Upon updating Photoshop and Lightroom a couple of days ago, the first issue I encountered was Photoshop throwing a Error Code 205 on launch, which prevented me entirely from using Photoshop. After some googling, I found a suggested solution was to log out of Creative Cloud app and sign back in. I did that and the Photoshop error 205 magically went away. Next, came all the Lightroom issues discussed here, although it was not throwing any launch errors like PS did. 

In Lightroom, I noticed that  when starting with a modified image in Develop and then returning to Loupe view in Library, there is a brief flash of the correct image, which then gets immediately replaced with the old unmodified preview. That felt to me like it was trying to load the previews  but wasn't able to, or at least wasn't "allowed" to, as if the Develop module may be doing whatever it's doing with a different set of permissions. This and the fact that the previews were displaying correctly after quitting and relaunching Lightroom, made me suspect that the issue may be related to the log in status, but having already performed the login/logout from within the Creative Cloud application to fix the Photoshop issue, I dismissed that path initially.

Running out of ideas and desperately needing Lightroom to work again, I thought I'd try logging out of Lightroom itself, instead of the Creative Cloud app. I logged out of Lightroom (which force closes Lightroom and all other CC apps), launched Lightroom again and signed in. I tried modifying an image using Quick Develop and it worked. I tried copying/pasting develop settings in Library module - it worked. I tried  pasting develop settings from previous - it worked. I tried modifying an image in Develop module and returning to Loupe view - it worked, the correct modified image was displaying.

So there you have it: the big solution is to sign out from Lightroom itself and sign back in.

SOLUTION:

- Make sure you save all your work in any Adobe CC app you may have open (other than Lightroom).

- Launch Lightroom Classic CC.

- Go to Help menu > Sign out...

- Gasp for air when presented with a big message about being signed out from every Adobe app and all apps being closed.

- Wait for Lightroom (and all other Adobe apps) to quit.

- Launch Lightroom Classic CC again.

- Sign back in with your Adobe ID.

- Enjoy using Lightroom normally again.

Thank you in advance Adobe for adding a few months to my Creative Cloud subscription for doing your work for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Jun 07, 2022 Jun 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I import files I use the full res embedded JPEG for previews.  Sometims after import and maybe after some edits, I select a group of files and in the Library module, Library>Previews>Build 1:1 Previews.  After a long delay it says the previews have been generated, but the "Embedded Preview" icon is still displayed on the preview.

{Thread title updated by moderator}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 08, 2022 Jun 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi there,

Thanks for reaching out. We are sorry for the trouble with Lightroom Classic. I'd love to help you figure this out.

Could you please share the version of Lightroom Classic from Help > About Lightroom Classic & the version of the operating system you are working on? What type of images are you working with? JPEG or RAW? Could you please share screenshots of this behavior?

Does this behavior appear with a specific series of images, or does it happen with all images?

Where is the catalog stored, on the internal drive or an external drive?

Have you tested this behavior in a different or fresh test catalog?

Try this

• Press the Alt (Win) or OPT (macOS) when launching Lightroom Classic.
  • Choose the option to create a new catalog and create a new one on the internal drive.

SameerK_0-1654698233912.png

Please keep us posted on the results.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks!

Sameer K

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is something I am not familiar with. Where do you see this "Embedded Preview" icon? I can't seem to find it anywhere on my LrC system.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is something I am not familiar with. Where do you see this "Embedded Preview" icon? I can't seem to find it anywhere on my LrC system.

By @JP Hess

If Lightroom Classic shows embedded previews, it shows a small icon in the upper left corner of the preview to let you know. Click on it if you want Lightroom to generate its own preview and replace it.

lightroom-classic-import-embedded-preview-icon.jpeg

https://havecamerawilltravel.com/lightroom/lightroom-classic-new-embedded-previews/

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is a feature that I apparently have overlooked and have not used. Thank you for pointing it out to me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I haven't been able to reproduce this.  I tried building 1:1 and Standard size previews and the Embedded preview icon disappeared.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Johan,  I probably should not have used the term "icon".  I am not referring to the icon you are showing but rather another icon that contains the text "Embedded Preview".  This screen shot shows what I am referring to:

EmbeddedPreview.jpg

The red arrows point to both icons.  In this case the file is using an embedded preview. The problem I posted was that when a 1:1 preview was created, the small icon disappeared but the larger icon with text did not.

When I posted this problem I was also experiencing a lot of the slow down and hangups that are characteristic of LR and that I periodically clear by resetting preferences.  Yesterday I reset preferences and then created 1:1 previews for about 12K files.  That ran overnight and all the "Embedded Preview" icons disappeared.  I loaded about 1700 new files from this morning and tried to reproduce the problem.  Now when I make 1:1 previews both icons disappear. 

Consequently I conclude this is another of the problems that build up in LR and eventually require a reset of preferences.  This has become a more severe problem.  In the past I typically had to reset every month or two.  Now I find I need to reset once or twice a week.  I shoot a lot and process a lot of files, typically 5K to 15K per week.  LR has really become a pain to use.  Unresponsive and lots of hangups.  I have concluded this will probably never be fixed, but I hope Adobe can get it back to a month or two between resets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think you got struck by the Library Previews Not Updating bug:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-library-previews-not-updating/idi-p/12897363

For many people, it comes and goes. If it comes back and it doesn't go away soon, roll back to 11.2. New LR releases come out about every eight weeks, so we might expect to see 11.4 in the next week or two.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LR has so many bugs like this.  It's surprising they are not caught during the software QA process.  I suppose they may be caught but Adobe concludes "good enough, ship it".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sameer, some of your questions are answered in my reply to Johan. 

I am running the latest version of LR, 11.3.1

I am running Win 10 64 bit, latest update. 

RAW with embedded full res JPEG that is used for the initial preview.

When the problem was occurring it was present in all images.

Catalog stored in an internal 2TB SSD.

Not tested in another catalog.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 09, 2022 Jun 09, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DClark064 wrote:

LR has so many bugs like this.  It's surprising they are not caught during the software QA process.  I suppose they may be caught but Adobe concludes "good enough, ship it".

Most people, including myself, are not experiencing this bug. But these people do not post here to complain that they did not get the same bug as others did!... 🙂

It's easy to think that a bug that is reported here a few dozen times must be so widespread that it is amazing it wasn't caught during testing, but even a few dozen reports here does not necessarily mean it's widespread at all. It could still be something that only affects 1 in 1000 people or less, so Adobe would need thousands of testers to have a reasonable chance of catching it.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If you're still having issues pasting Develop Settings or applying them from previous photo in the Library Module, try clicking Reset All under Quick Develop (Ctrl/Cmd + Shift + R) and then reapplying/pasting.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It looks like the after the latest update the library module is not working as it is supposed to... using the quick develop buttons doesnt seem to take effect until you click a few times on them, and yesterday I also noticed that Library and Develop module are not syncing as it is supposed to. This issue happend back with v10.. but it was "fix"but now it looks like it came back with the 11.3.1

Working with Macbook Pro 16" M1 Pro - Monterey 12.4

Votes

Translate

Translate