• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Lightroom Classic: Tethered capture not working after update Canon 5Ds

Explorer ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updated LRC and now tethered capture window doesn't even show. Files are not transferring to computer regardless. 

LR Classic 10.4

Canon 5ds

Catalina 10.15.7

I rolled back to version LRC 10.3 because I have to shoot today but here are my specs

Lightroom Classic version: 10.3 [ 202105281559-8dc50eb4 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en-AU
Operating system: Mac OS 10
Version: 10.15.7 [19H1323]
Application architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 20
Processor speed: 3.6GHz
SqLite Version: 3.34.0
Built-in memory: 131,072.0 MB

Also - is it possible that the software has updated when I have preferences set to no automatic updates for this very reason?

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Greetings,

The Max 2021 Photography products updates have been released and include remedies for this topic.  The updates will be rolling out worldwide, October 26 and 27, 2021. If you do not see the updates in your Creative Cloud Desktop app, you can refresh the apps to see if the updates are available in your region.  The keyboard shortcut to refresh is [Cmd/Ctrl] + [Opt/Alt] + [ R ]. 

Note: iOS and Android updates may take up to a week to appear in your App Store.

Thank you for your pat

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Could you please check if Nikon tether plugin is disabled?

If yes, do the following:

Go to File > Plug-in Manager.

Select Nikon Tether Plugin and select Enable.
Restart Lightroom Classic.
Try tethering with a Canon camera.

Thanks,

Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate
44 Comments
LEGEND ,
Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for adding R5 tether support!

In brief testing it works as expected except for one annoying detail.  If if close the tether capture control; or lose control because of the tether cable being disconnected... The only way to get it back is to quit Lightroom and re-launch.  There's no way to get back to that first dialog box where you set tethered parameters without doing so. (Im on MacOS 10.15.7)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just tested further.  What I describe is not unique to the R5.  The cameras I've been tethering in Lightroom for years (Canon 5DSR) do the same thing.  Loss of connection for whatever reason means relaunching Lightroom to start tethering again.  This is new to 10.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is my experience as well. I haven't tried the 10.2 update with the R5 yet (will soon) but Canon tethering in Lightroom classic has been very delicate in handling lost connections for some time. 

By comparison, when using EOS utility set up to launch when a camera is connected the experience is much more stable and reliable. However, I prefer the functionality of LR native tethering because of the ability to have new photos simply inherit all settings from the previous photo, including crop (I'm almost always shooting to a specific crop).

I haven't posted about this here yet as I've only recently joined this forum but I'm happy to engage in any productive conversation around tethering - it's essentially how I work all day every day.

I'll follow up after using 10.2 a bit more if I see any improvement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I always use EOS utility with new cameras until native tether support is added.  EOS utility is very reliable and will allow me to correctly name files with date/time where Lightroom doesn't.  Looooong time issue with Canon file renaming by LR during tethered import.  It ignores the time zone correction.  There are some ancient threads here somewhere about that.  Anyway for me the speed of the image display is significantly faster with Lightroom native tether.  That's more important to me than initial file naming.  

I'm typically shooting tethered when doing static studio setups where I want to precisely check lighting setup, product placement etc.  The vast majority of my work is done this way. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 17, 2021 Mar 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm that Lightroom Classic 10.2 fails to start a new tether session after one has been stopped - requiring a quit and relaunch. I'm running macOS 10.15.7 on a MBP 16 inch and am currently using a 5DmkIII.

To reproduce:

1. Start a tether session in. LRC10.2

2. Close the tether session.

3. Attempt to start another tether session - the Tethered Capture Settings window does not open.

Otherwise, the tethering does feel more stable than in recent versions. It tends to recover from a USB disconnect or camera power down better than before - that is, when the "Detecting Camera" window comes up - but if the session is fully stopped, I do have to relaunch LRC to get up and running again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Andy Franck , We are looking into this , the workaround here is to click the settings button at right end of tether bar. This would open the settings window. Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you closing the tether session? Clicking the Close button in the Tether bar?
When you invoke the Tether again, bring up the Import window. Does it detect the camera?
I couldn't reproduce the issue you mentioned.

*Bob_Smith 
I tried switching off the camera and then switching on. The Tether bar detected the camera. 

Thanks,

Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 19, 2021 Mar 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sunil_bhaskaran 

yes... clicking the close button.  Then it becomes impossible to start tethering again without relaunching LR.  As long as the tether bar or the "detecting camera" dialog is still on the screen, then reconnecting or turning on the camera will bring it back.  

This is a relatively minor annoyance but I do very long tethering sessions where stopping tethering becomes necessary for a variety of reasons.  My catalog is over 400k images. Quitting and relaunching is not painfully slow but its but its not blazing fast either... not something I want to have to do unless really needed.

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sunil_bhaskaran 

Sunil, there might be a Mac-specific bug here. On Windows, after starting tethered capture (using an R5) and then closing the session by clicking the close button on the Tether tool bar, I can restart the session by starting over, i.e. File>Tethered Capture>Start Tethered Capture>OK on the Tethered Capture Settings dialog, and that brings up the Tethering toolbar as expected.

However, repeating that process on my Mac (10.14.6), on trying to restart tethering after the initial close, the Tethered Capture Settings dialog does not appear after clicking on File>Tethered Capture>Start Tethered Capture. Therefore to restart tethering does indeed require an LrC restart on my Mac. I checked the import dialog, and the camera was still detected. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the reply. The settings button does work as intended, but at the risk of being one of those pain in the butt guys on the Internet (I promise, I'm not), this problem is predicated on the fact that the first tether session has ended (for whatever reason) and the settings button is not available.

It's a relatively minor bug and I'm okay quit/relaunching the few times I need to until it's fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sunil_bhaskaran 

Regarding switching the camera off and on (or unplugging USB and plugging back in) - this is something that would often lead to LR hanging or even crashing in recent versions. I spent most of yesterday tethered to an R5 that I intentionally set to sleep fairly quickly. So far reconnecting seems to be more reliable in 10.2. Much appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 03, 2021 Apr 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello, I've been encountering this issue since the 10.2 update:

After quitting the tethered capture while still keeping Lighroom open and afterwards trying to start tethered capture again, upon clicking on 'Start tethered capture', I will immediately get this error:

unexpected error performing command: ?:0 attempt to index a nil value

Only restarting lightroom will let me start tethered capture again.

Hope this can be fixed soon!

Best,

Ikuma

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm seeing the same thing except without any error message.  It's just impossible to restart tethered capture without relaunching LR.  At first I thought it was specific to a newly supported camera.  It isn't. It was reported in this thread... and confirmed a few times.  

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-tethered-canon-r5-w... 

Aside from this I feel like tethered capture is generally more reliable in 10.2.  Hopefully they'll fix this annoyance soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*Bob_Smith does that problem occur for you when you switch the camera off and back on? Because that doesn't cause any issue for me, neither does disconnecting the tether cable as it seems to be the case for you.

So perhaps yours is a new camera issue as well as this...

I'm using an old 5DS R btw

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Forgot to add, I'm using Windows 10.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works fine as long as the tether capture bar (or "detecting camera") stays on the screen.  Once that tether capture bar is closed, you have to relaunch Lightroom.  I mainly use a 5DsR as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

*arpad_ikuma_csizmazia  Which camera are you using? Does it happen everytime? Is it possible for you to share a video of issue? 

Thanks,

Ruby

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm using a Canon EOS 5DS R tethered to Lightroom, but I could try with a 5D mk IV later.

With the 5DS R, it happens every time I close the tethered shooting bar and want to start it again

I will try to take a video later as well

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've recreteated the issue with the 5D mkIV as well, I am usually using an extension USB cable along with a shorter cable, I removed the extension and had the same error with both cameras.

I've taken a shaky smartphone video (actually two, one with each camera), how should I best send it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my early use of 10.3 this issue does not appear to be fixed.  (Using MacOS 10.15.7 and Canon R5)

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 10, 2021 Jun 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's working for me... now on 11.4, M1 powered MacBook Air.  It steadily improved since I started this thread.  The tethering experience for me is the best its ever been.  I've been tethering Canons to LR for more than a decade now.  The only drawback now is you have to relaunch LR into Rosetta to start tethering as the tethering part of LR does not support running natively on Apple Silicon yet.  I'm hopeful that changes soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 18, 2021 Aug 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please check if Nikon tether plugin is disabled?

If yes, do the following:

Go to File > Plug-in Manager.

Select Nikon Tether Plugin and select Enable.
Restart Lightroom Classic.
Try tethering with a Canon camera.

Thanks,

Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Aug 19, 2021 Aug 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Windows 10 

Lightroom Classic 10.4

Canon 5D Mark III firmware 1.3.6

This was working fine for me two days ago before the update.

Since updating, tethered capture has stopped working.

I click Start Tethered Capture, fill in the Tethered Capture Settings window and click OK, then I get an error:

"Unexpected error performing command: ?0: attempt to index a nil value"

Image is not available

Image is not available

It creates and selects the folder but doesn't open the tethered capture window, even though it seems to think that it has, i.e., the menu is updated to a grayed-out "Hide Tethered Capture Window" but the window is not visible. The menu also is updated to say "Stop Tethered Capture."

Image is not available

Image is not available

If I click Stop Tethered Capture, then click Start Tethered Capture, it immediately presents the error dialog without opening the Tethered Capture Settings window.

Lightroom Classic version: 10.4 [ 202108071231-af9219b9 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition
Version: 10.0.19043
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 8
Processor speed: 4.2GHz
SqLite Version: 3.34.0
Built-in memory: 32698.3 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 32698.3 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 852.6 MB (2.6%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 806.5 MB
GDI objects count: 657
USER objects count: 2654
Process handles count: 1881
Memory cache size: 0.0MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 13.4 [ 872 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 0MB / 16349MB (0%)
Camera Raw real memory: 0MB / 32698MB (0%)
System DPI setting: 96 DPI
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 2560x1440
Input types: Multitouch: No, Integrated touch: No, Integrated pen: No, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: NVIDIA Quadro P4000 (26.21.14.4292)

Application folder: C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic
Library Path: d:\Users\Mark\Pictures\Lightroom\Lightroom Catalog-v10.lrcat
Settings Folder: C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\Lightroom

Installed Plugins:
1) AdobeStock
2) Aurora HDR 2018
3) Export to Photomatix Pro
4) Facebook
5) Flickr
6) HDR Efex Pro 2
7) Negative Lab Pro

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sunil_bhaskaran I am not prepared to re install 10.4 because I lost half a day and a lot of preferences by rolling back to old version and that's too risky when I have work on.

I did however look at the settings on 10.3 and the Nikon tether plug-in was enabled.  I think I'm going to sit this one out until we are sure that it was the problem.

Also, Creative Cloud had overwritten all of my auto update preferences (they were all switched off because I know better) - is that due to a Creative Cloud update itself? I think this needs to be addressed because this could have been an absolute disaster for a high pressure shoot day. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the Nikon plug-in disabled?

Thanks,

Sunil

Votes

Translate