• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: loses connection with files after folder is renamed

LEGEND ,
Apr 05, 2021 Apr 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've been using Lightroom for many years, and I've never experienced this problem until the last two updates to the application.

When I upload photos to Lightroom, the app creates a folder that is by default named with the date, in this format: 20210403.

I usually rename the folder, in Lightroom, with something more descriptive, just after the upload is complete. For example, 20210403_family-gathering.

Starting with the previous version of Lightroom, after I perform this action, Lightroom loses the connection with the files in the newly renamed folder. A question mark appears on the folder in the Navigation panel, and in Loupe view, every photo now displays a small exclamation mark in its upper right corner.

When I click on an exclamation mark, a dialog box appears, like the first one of three that I've uploaded.

1Lightroom_missingphoto-ccc406f0-67d4-4b3d-bff7-05c1c0834148-835634586.png1Lightroom_missingphoto-ccc406f0-67d4-4b3d-bff7-05c1c0834148-835634586.png
When I click on "Locate," another dialog box appears. For example:
2Lightroom_missingphoto_select-94760d8f-1b85-462b-b489-24b48e58a8c8-1771050602.png2Lightroom_missingphoto_select-94760d8f-1b85-462b-b489-24b48e58a8c8-1771050602.png
The first file, which is highlighted, is the one that is missing (although at this point, Lightroom has lost track of all of the files in the renamed folder). When I click the "Select" button, this dialog box appears:
3Lightroom_missingphoto_alread-79fdfacb-e016-4610-aaba-6f295e7d4035-643118839.png3Lightroom_missingphoto_alread-79fdfacb-e016-4610-aaba-6f295e7d4035-643118839.png
Lightroom is obviously confused, and the only way around this, in the current version of Lightroom, is to quit the application and re-launch Lightroom. After I relaunch Lightroom, it re-finds the files and the exclamation marks are gone. When I quit Lightroom after renaming the folder from the most recent upload, I back up the catalog. I don't know if this is necessary, but I back up the catalog whenever I quit Lightroom.

This is a bug, which never existed for me, until the last two updates of the app.
Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Adobe Employee , Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Greetings,

The Max 2021 Photography products updates have been released and include remedies for this topic.  The updates will be rolling out worldwide, October 26 and 27, 2021. If you do not see the updates in your Creative Cloud Desktop app, you can refresh the apps to see if the updates are available in your region.  The keyboard shortcut to refresh is [Cmd/Ctrl] + [Opt/Alt] + [ R ]. 

Note: iOS and Android updates may take up to a week to appear in your App Store.

Thank you for your pat

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

I am moving this back to in-progress and have advised the team the fix did not work for everyone. 

The Classic Team has requested a new bug which we have written. Some of them may reach out to you for additional information.

Thanks for continuing to update us. 

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 137 Replies 137
137 Comments
LEGEND ,
Jun 13, 2021 Jun 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No it is definitely not fixed (completely). I imported 30 files, deleted 15 and then renamed the folder - left with two "!" files. Quit and restart resolves it. PITA!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am moving this back to in-progress and have advised the team the fix did not work for everyone. 

The Classic Team has requested a new bug which we have written. Some of them may reach out to you for additional information.

Thanks for continuing to update us. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Rikk. Mostly the fix introduced in 10.3 has worked for me, but twice it has failed in the exact same fashion as before. Soft errors are always hard to nail down!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you. The fix seems to work sometimes! Just seems a bit odd that it ‘loses’ some files occasionally

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 21, 2021 Jun 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could you please respond if you face this issue in the Lightroom Classic 10.3 version?
That's: you see the ! mark on photos after a folder is renamed.

Thanks,
Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 22, 2021 Jun 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@sunil_bhaskaran I have just seen this for the first time, on Mac LrC 10.3. I never saw it on an earlier version.

In my case, the folder and photos were never renamed or moved or modified in any way. LrC 10.3 just seemed to forget about an entire folder of photos that were previously successfully imported.

LrC offered to look for the "missing" folder, found it right away, and reconnected everything. This is very strange. The "missing" folder was created and used within the last month, and it was in among many other folders that were connected just fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Jun 24, 2021 Jun 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,
Do you see this issue consistently? Does it happen with every Lightroom Classic restart?

Thanks,
Sunil

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 26, 2021 Jun 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(June 26)

I think it is intermittent and maybe even rare. But I never saw it before 10.3.

I will need to run some tests to accurately answer your question; I won’t be able to test for a few days.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

(June 30)

This has not recurred for me.

I "test" this by looking for italicized names in the Folders panel on the left in LrC.

I haven't seen any disconnected folders in the last few days.

That said, disconnections *never* happened for me until I upgraded to 10.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 30, 2021 Jun 30, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm sorry that others are still experiencing this issue. For me, it first appeared before the 10.2 upgrade (was there a v10.1?) and has been resolved with the 10.3 upgrade. Sometimes, when I rename a folder, a question mark appears briefly (for a second or two) over the renamed folder in the Folders panel, and then the question mark disappears, and the folder's files do not display exclamation marks in their thumbnail images. The renaming-folders problem has not reappeared even once for me since I upgraded to 10.3.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Oct 26, 2021 Oct 26, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings,

The Max 2021 Photography products updates have been released and include remedies for this topic.  The updates will be rolling out worldwide, October 26 and 27, 2021. If you do not see the updates in your Creative Cloud Desktop app, you can refresh the apps to see if the updates are available in your region.  The keyboard shortcut to refresh is [Cmd/Ctrl] + [Opt/Alt] + [ R ]. 

Note: iOS and Android updates may take up to a week to appear in your App Store.

Thank you for your patience.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Mar 21, 2022 Mar 21, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I am still having this issue almost every day.  It doesn't happen every time I rename a folder, but it still happens enought that I'm here once again complaining about it.  This bug isn't completely fixed.     Lightroom Classic version: 11.2 [ 202201281441-a5b5f472 ]
License: Creative Cloud
Operating system: Mac OS 12
Version: 12.2.1 [21D62]

Votes

Translate

Translate