• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: LR4 Develop Module tools dropdown not automatically visible

Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2012 Mar 29, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In previous versions of Lightroom, selecting one of the tools in the Development Module, such as the Adjustment Brush, automatically displayed the settings panel directly below the tools, in what appears to be a dropdown.

Selecting a tool in LR4, on Windows 7, no longer makes the panel automatically visible, no matter where you are scrolled in the Develop panel; you have to scroll back up to the top of the panel in order to see the settings.

Not critical, but certainly annoying behavior. I looked for other reports of this but found nothing, so I apologize if this has already been addressed.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017
This issue was fixed in Lightroom 4.3 and later.

Votes

Translate

Translate
17 Comments
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Works here on Win 7 64 Bit. No matter whether in Solo Mode or Show All, it drops down like in previous versions.

Does this happen in a new catalog?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the attached image, A is LR3 Develop panel, scrolled to the bottom, with all of the panels expanded. Note that the scroll bar is at the bottom.

B is LR3 after selecting the Adjustment Brush. The Adjustment Brush options drop down and actually compress the scroll bar, making the options immediately available. Note how the scroll bar is squashed to make room for the tool options panel.

C is LR4, scrolled to the bottom, like A.

D is LR4 after the Adjustment Brush is selected. The behavior is different. The options panel expands, as it should, but it is not immediately visible. Notice that the scroll bar has the same height as the original scroll bar, in C, but that the scroll button has shifted upward, indicating the panel height changed.

This is Win7 64-bit, on a brand new catalog, and it functions the same on every other catalog I have tried.

Not critical, just an annoyance...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Two options:

1. Rebuild your preference file by renaming it to a different name and let LR rebuild it again on the next open. Location: http://helpx.adobe.com/lightroom/kb/p...
2. Reinstall LR 4.1 to see if it corrects something that was errant in your 4.0 install.

After that, I am looking at device drivers Mouse/Tablet/Monitor and making certain they are up-to-date.

My behavior is the same on 3.6 as 4.1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can reproduce it (Win 7, 64 Bit, LR 4.1 RC).

The trick is to make the LR window so small in height, that the brush slider section just barely fits into the screen. In this size,and when all scrolled down and many panels opened, the effect appears.

And yes, it does not happen in LR 3.6, no matter how small you make the window. The disadvantage in LR 3 is that you can't scroll in the brush settings if they don't fit, so I assume that the new behaviour in LR4 is a feature rather than a bug. However, it would be nice if LR4 would scroll to the top if the local corrections are invoced - if my previous assumption is correct (feature instead of bug), this would be the "real" "sub-bug" 😉

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Tim, what is your maximum screen resolution? Does it meet the LR minimum spec?

Do you run in a window or maximized?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 30, 2012 Mar 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Agree.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 30, 2012 Mar 30, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LRuser24 might be right. It may have to do with screen resolution. I am at the bottom of the 768px height requirement on this laptop, which I have been using, since my desktop with the giant monitor is still on XP.

Even a tool like the Spot Healing tool doesn't behave as expected, even though it's got no chance of making itself too big to view.

I hope the Adobe team can just change the functionality a bit to pop back up to the top when I select a tool to use. Minor annoyance that doesn't warrant a new system, just yet :)

Thanks for everyone's brains on this one!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 03, 2012 Apr 03, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem by using the tool strip like Tim - using Win7 x64 and monitor full screen 1920x1080.
This behavior did not occur in LR 3.6, but it does in LR 4.1 RC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 04, 2012 Apr 04, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did some further tests on this strange behavior of LR 4.1 RC (Win 7 x64, Full HD Screen 1920x1080).

If I have scrolled down in the Develop panel and then click on a tool in the tool strip (for instance the adjustment brush), than the panel expands (I see, that the scroll bar is getting shorter) but I have to scroll up to the top to see the settings.
Yet the settings become visible instantly (without scrolling up), when I hide the Module-picker-Panel or the Filmstrip-Panel or both.
But this does work only if I run the program maximised or in a window nearly as big as maximised (on my 1920x1080 screen). If the window is a smaller, then hiding or expanding these two panels has no effect and I'm forced to croll up.

In LR 3.6 this problem did not occur. The setting of the tools could be seen always automatically, regardless where I had scrolled in the Develop panel, regardless the window size and regardless whether I hat expanded or hidden the upper and lower panel.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Apr 05, 2012 Apr 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, everyone, for the detailed information. I was able to see the same problem and have logged a bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 02, 2012 May 02, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The bug has not been fixed in LR 4.1 RC2!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 25, 2012 Sep 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In LR3 was convenient to use adjastment brush, when you click on this icon was drop-down list. Now, if you want to use brushes, have to scroll through a list of modules upstairs. It is not very convenient!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Oct 16, 2012 Oct 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why this problem wasn't fixed in LR 4.2?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

But is it a bug? I actually like it when I use Lightroom on a laptop (1366x768).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wait. You like when you select a tool and then you have to scroll to get to the tool's options, instead of having them immediately available? That's kind of like having your oven in the garage...

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Without scrolling, the brush panel just won't fit on my laptop's screen (1366x768). When I am on a desktop (1680x1050) it does not scroll, stays fixed.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 23, 2017 Mar 23, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
This issue was fixed in Lightroom 4.3 and later.

Votes

Translate

Translate