• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: LR4 is slow to move photos from one folder to another compared to LR3

Explorer ,
Mar 25, 2012 Mar 25, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using LR4 on a Mac with 8 gb ram, I7 processor and OSX.
I have been using LR since LR1. LR4 is terribly slow. Trying to move photos from one folder to another takes about 20-30 seconds per folder on file sizes of about 6 to 12 mb. Is Adobe aware of this? If they are, I'll be patient. If not, it will force me to consider changing programs.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Apr 26, 2012 Apr 26, 2012
Hi Lance,

This issue is improved in the second Lightroom 4.1 public Release Candidate, available for download here:

http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/light...

Note that it is still slow, it's not yet as fast as it should be, and we're working on that. But it is much faster than it was before.

Thanks,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate
32 Comments
Explorer ,
Jun 05, 2012 Jun 05, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting. Prior to this, I had been advised by Adobe that a work around was to close my Collection pane, restart Lightroom and then work with the pane closed. That did speed up the transfer of files greatly. They said that I have a lot of smart collections and the updating of these collections were causing the slowdown. The new Lightroom release 4.1 seems to be working ok with transferring files from folder to folder. I think that it is working with the Collection pane open but I will check it again this evening.

I assume that Adobe is reading these posts, (although they remain very silent) and perhaps it will give them an additional clue as to what is happening.

Adobe has not handled the communication well during this problem. I do like the program.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The specific issue that we fixed is that when you had smart collections that had folder-related criteria (Lance had a lot of these in his catalog), the smart collection query was re-running every single time a photo was added to or removed from a folder. This is what was making things so slow in Lance's case. This was not new to Lightroom 4, the same thing happened in Lightroom 3, so I'm not sure why Lance would not have seen the same problem in Lightroom 3 (unless Lance didn't create the folder-based smart collections until Lightroom 4).

There is no known issue with preview incompatibility between Lightroom 3 and Lightroom 4. There were a lot of other variables changed at the same time in Steve's steps (relaunches, catalog optimizations, etc.), so it's hard to say if rebuilding the previews is really what made the difference. Seems unlikely, but anything is always possible. :-)

-Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben, I had virtually the same amount of Smart Collections in Lightroom 3 and did not have that slowness problem when moving files from folder to folder.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I test with the catalog you provided, I get the same slowness in both LR3 and LR4. Life is full of mysteries. :-)

-Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ben, hope this isn't a duplicate reply. Looks like the original got lost when I signed in. Adobe may not like iPads.

LR 4.1, same catalog as I sent to you but with about 8,000 more pictures and a few more smart collections. Moved 22 pictures from one folder to another on my iMac.

Collection panel open: 60 seconds

Collection panel closed: 60 seconds

Quit LR, reopened LR. Collection panel closed: 2.4 seconds.

Adobe has more work to do to fix this. But it is much better than previous version.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2012 Jun 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It works for me.
moving 54 photos - 40 seconds.
moving using your workaround - 10 seconds.

LR 4.1, Core 2 Duo.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2012 Jun 08, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
Moving 212 photos - 34 seconds.

Votes

Translate