P: LR5.2 flickr publish causes all photo collections to only show the flickr set being published

14 Votes
Community Beginner ,
Sep 20, 2013 Sep 20, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just updated Lightroom to 5.2. When I publish photos to flickr, then click back to a different collection, the photos shown in the grid are photos from the flickr set being published instead. This happens every time I publish to flickr. Occasionally, photos in other collections disappear instead, once I begin publishing.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 08, 2013 Nov 08, 2013
Hi All, This issue has been fixed in the Lightroom 5.3 Public RC, which can be downloaded here: http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/li... If the 5.3 Public RC does not fix the issue for you, please let me know. Thanks, Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate
84 Comments
New Here ,
Oct 06, 2013 Oct 06, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm one of those who has this issue. However, all of the pictures in my collections are published. There's nothing left unpublished. It doesn't matter which publication service I use, the moment I click into any one of those collections, I'm stuck in that collection. If I go back to any of the folders in the folders section (non-publish module) and click on any one of them, I see nothing in the grid and flipstrip besides the folders that were in the publication collection I clicked previously, or "No Photos In the Selected Folder" if the selected publication collection was empty. I CAN jump around within publication collections, just cannot jump from publication to folders.

It's like any folder in the publication collection becomes a trap that I get stuck in, and once I click there nothing outside of publishing works until I restart lightroom.

The publication module is huge for me, so to find that it has essentially killed LR's usefulness to me is disappointing. Please fix!

Also, note that my experience is different than Steven Grimm's above. I have found that if the thing currently clicked and selected in LR is a publication collection, when I open LR again after closing it, I'm still stuck in the trap. To remedy, I have to click in a non-publication collection to highlight it (even though I can't see its pictures) and THEN close down LR and open up before I'm not trapped. So yeah, there have been many frustrating times where I have forgotten that issue and actually have to close LR two times before I can edit anything.

My specs:

MBP 15 inch, Mid 2012 model
OSX 10.8.4
LR 5.2

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I mentioned it in my comment below, but I wanted to say that this behavior is actually not what I'm currently seeing on my computer. I'm not disputing your experience, but just adding to the info-mix.

I have found that if the thing currently clicked and selected in LR is a publication collection, when I open LR again after closing it, I'm still stuck in the trap. To remedy, I have to click in a non-publication collection to select it (even though I can't see its pictures) and THEN close down LR and open up before I'm not trapped. So yeah, there have been many frustrating times where I have forgotten that issue and actually have to close LR two times before I can edit anything.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, I can confirm that this worked for me. Thanks for the resolution. Hopefully a long-term fix can be found, but I'll keep this in my toolkit!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note, I noticed the suggestion to reset preferences above, and I can confirm that worked for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Note, I noticed that resetting the preferences was a possible resolution. I tried that and indeed found that it fixed the issue for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting preferences did not make any difference for me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 11, 2013 Oct 11, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OSX 10.7.5

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did not work for me either

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Yes, I'm the third Adobe employee to weigh in on this thread. Doesn't mean we're giving you the run-around, just means more people are getting involved trying to fix the problem. 🙂 It's a little tricky, because we haven't actually been able to make the problem happen ourselves. But we have done some investigation and have identified a few possibilities. I have one question for you guys that might help us pin down the cause:

If you select a publish collection, and then select a different collection, the grid fails to update, and still shows the publish collection. Got it. But, if you select a publish collection, and then select another, different publish collection, does the grid update? Or does it still show the first publish collection?

Thanks for your help,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When I was experiencing the issue (was lucky to have the prefs reset solve my issue) I could click around to other publish modules and the grid and filmstrip would update. I just couldn't cross that bridge back into non-publication collections.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The problem stopped happening to me today. The possible reason, though it may just be a coincidence: Last night I created a new publish collection (not a smart collection, if that matters), dragged photos to it, and published it. I don't know if that actually stopped it from happening or if it stopped spontaneously later on, because at the time I was sort of assuming the bug was still there so I was restarting Lightroom a bunch during the process. Sorry, Adobe folks, if I'd known it was going to stop happening, I would have kept careful track of what I was doing. But maybe someone else who's having the problem can try creating a new publish collection and see if it fixes things for anyone but me.

I had not yet gotten around to trying a preferences reset, so that's not a factor.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Benjamin,

Thanks to you and the others who are looking into this. Since I am new to the forums, the Photoshop Family emails were going into my junk folder, so I am just now seeing your replies here...

I can can answer a few questions that you all have asked.

1) I am using OSX 10.8.5. (and I am publishing to Photoshelter)
2) I use publish collections to publish client photos, so the size of the collections varies widely from less than a dozen to over 1,000. The size of the collection doesn't seem to make a difference in this problem.
3) Benjamin - regarding your question, as long as I stay OUT of the publish collections, I do not have any problems. The moment I click on a Publish Collection is where the problems begin. The first click into a Publish Collection will bring me into the correct collection, however, there is an immediate disconnect between the grid photos and the filmstrip. Only the filmstrip will actually select the right image. By changing photos in the filmstrip, the corresponding photo will change in the grid. However, if you select photos in the grid, the corresponding photo will NOT select in the filmstrip, and furthermore, if I look in the metadata, I can see that changing photos in the grid does not actually change the image - the metadata remains on whatever was selected in the filmstrip. To further answer your question, if I then select a different Publish Collection, the photos will change in the grid view, but NOT the filmstrip view - and remember that it is the filmstrip view that seems to control the image selection. So even though the grid view will update with the correct photos in the selected Publish Collection, the filmstrip will not change, making it impossible to actually select photos in the newly selected Publish Collection. Furthermore, if I then try to go back to my regular collections, the Grid View will switch to whatever the first Publish Collection I clicked on was - regardless of the Collection that I try to select - however - even though I can not select a collection, the link between the grid photo selection and the filmstirp photo selection returns (even though I am not viewing the correct collection). Does this make sense?

Finally, I just noted that I should try resetting my preferences. I have not tried this yet, but I will try it now and see if it helps.

Thanks,
Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A couple additional notes:

I personally do not use the Publish Collections to do any of my photo selections or editing. I create all of my Collections in the main Collections window, and my Publish Collections just mirror the Collection Sets I have created above. This may be why this problem hasn't caused me too big of a headache since usually Publishing the photos is the last step I take before closing the program.

Where this problem has really become noticeable is when I have multiple Publish Collections in my Catalog (I create a new Lightroom Catalog for each one of my jobs in the Jobs folder). For a wedding, for example, I may have a main Publish Collection Set for the client, and then several Publish Collection galleries inside the set (one for preparation photos, one for the ceremony, another for the reception and so-on). So when I go to publish one of the collections, and then try to return to working on other photos, I've found myself stuck. I have to re-launch Lightroom in order to get back to my primary collections. And as brandonmbullock mentioned above, I always click into one of my main collections (or folders) before closing Lightroom (even though that doesn't take me to the correct photos), because if you you are in a Publish Collection when Lightroom closes, it will open back into the Publish collection where you are stuck with the same problems when you reopen. By clicking on a regular Collection (or Folder) before closing, Lightroom will then open back into that Collection, where things are fine until clicking on a Publish Collection again.

My workaround has been to do as much of my work as possible BEFORE publishing. Then I create Publish Collections without adding photos to them (as long as I don't ENTER a Publish Collection I'm fine). I then drag photos to add them to the Publish Collection without actually clicking on them. This allows me to continue to navigate in my normal collections. Once I have added all of my photos to the publish collections, I then (and only then) go down to the Publish Collections to Publish the photos. Interesting thing is that while (as I mentioned above) changing collections does not actually change the photos in the filmstrip (and therefore the photos that can be "selected"), this doesn't seem to cause problems with publishing different Publish Collections. The photos in each Publish Collection uploads correctly to my corresponding Photoshelter galleries, even though the filmstrip is not updating as I change Publish Collections.

I hope this information helps.
Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Final Update:

I removed my preferences file (com.adobe.Lightroom5.plist) from my preferences and restarted Lightroom (after having to go through the registration process again), and it seems to have FIXED the problem!

For everyone else with this problem, please try this fix, as it so far appears to solve the problem!

I did not trash my .plist file - I saved it as a backup for myself, and also in case it is of any use to finding out how this problem developed.

The one side question I have is this: The last standalone version of Lightroom I purchased was version 4. I have been paying for the monthly Creative Cloud suite for over a year now (since before the update to Lightroom version 5). I mention this because although the registration dialog auto-populated the 24 digit serial number for Lightroom, I had no way of confirming the serial number in any emails or in my Adobe account of registered products. It didn't cause any problems. There was a green checkmark next to the new serial number and I just clicked next and everything was fine. But it seems like since Lightroom is both a standalone product, but also part of the Creative Cloud suite, that I was able to upgrade to version 5 without getting an explicit email or account update of my new serial number.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

YES! Resetting the Lightroom Preferences (by removing the [com.adobe.Lightroom5.plist] file from the Preferences folder in the USER Library folder) worked for me! I am no longer experiencing ANY of the problems that I noted above, and expounded on below. Of course now I have to go back and update all of my preferences again, but it seems like a small price to getting this problem fixed.

Thanks,
Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

Thanks for the additional info. Scanning this thread, it looks like trashing the preferences has fixed the problem for everyone who has tried it. If trashing preferences has NOT fixed the problem for anyone here, please let me know.

Ken, I would like to take a look at your "bad" preferences file. The easiest thing would probably be for you to upload it to a public Dropbox folder, or something similar, and post the link here. But if you'd rather not do that, I will contact you privately with instructions on how to send the file directly to an Adobe server via FTP.

Thanks,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Although it doesn't look like there is any private info in the .plist file, if there is an option to upload it directly to you via ftp, that would be preferable. I'm guessing you are able to contact me via my account email?

Thanks again,
Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Ken,

I have contacted you privately via email at the address that you used to register on the forum.

Thanks,
Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Uploaded!

Cheers,
Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ken, got it. I'll post back here to let you all know if we're able to get any useful info out of it.

-Ben

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 12, 2013 Oct 12, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting the Lightroom Preferences (by removing the [com.adobe.Lightroom5.plist] file from the Preferences folder in the USER Library folder) worked for me this time. I did it before, but maybe I did something wrong then. So far it all seems to be okay. I keep my fingers crossed. Thanks a bunch for a the help ;D

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 16, 2013 Oct 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Removing com.adobe.Lightroom.plist also worked for me, but the 2nd time I tried! Sad to let my preferences go, but that's better than having a LR that does not work.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 16, 2013 Oct 16, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

....but that was yesterday. Then it worked fine for a long time, but when I started LR today, it was wrong from the very start. After a restart it seems to work again, but for how long?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 17, 2013 Oct 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Benjamin,

So the problem started returning to my workflow again a couple of days ago. It appears that a completely reset Preferences file allows everything to work fine. But somewhere along the line, as I started updating Lightroom with my own preferences, and checking dialog boxes (such as the built previews confirmation) to not show them again... somewhere along the line, the Publish Collection problem started to happen again.

Had I been keeping track of each change in preferences, along with exactly when the problem started occurring again, I might have been able to track it down to a single preference that is causing the problem.

At this point, my preferences still are not quite back to where I had them before I reset them. So if you would like to look at this "new" preference file before it gets built up any more, I'd be happy to send it to you again.

I'm a bit busy this week, and i'm just focused on getting work completed, but I may try resetting my preferences again next week and see if I can narrow down the point where the problem reoccurs.

Cheers,
Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 17, 2013 Oct 17, 2013

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know there are many factors, but using the same network that I usually do, at the same times I usually do, I've noticed that exporting and publishing seem to be much, much slower since I reset my prefs. Has anyone noticed that?

Votes

Translate

Translate