• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: LrC 12.2.1 fails to start/launch or is extremely slow launching.

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2023 Mar 23, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

LRC 12.2.1 is not starting anymore, just launches as a background process using significant amounts of RAM and CPU, but the visible window never shows up. 

I have already:

- Tried the alt-shift-click thingie.

- Tried logging out and in from CC.

- Wiping all data files from the computer and letting LRC create a fresh Lightroom folder and catalog file (sometimes it does that, sometimes it hangs before the folder is created). 

- Wiping all Adobe products with the cleaner tool and reinstalling just LRC.

- I have even formatted and reisntalled the computer (becuase it was a good time to do that anyway).

But LRC still fails. What to do next?

Edition Windows 10 Pro
Version 22H2
Installed on ‎17.‎03.‎2023
OS build 19045.2728
Experience Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4190.0

Bug Fixed Locked
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Pinned Replies

Adobe Employee , Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

One of our Prerelease Testers has a bug logged for this and we've referenced this thread to that existing bug. 

Workaround:
The team has verified this workaround has no risks. Until we can release an update, please follow these steps:

• Close LrC if open
    (the file will not show if Lightroom is open)

• Locate metrics.json file at this location: 

Mac: /Users/<username>/Library/Caches/Adobe/Lightroom/metrics.json
    (Note that Mac has two Libraries
    Make sure you are in the User Library and not the System
Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee , Apr 18, 2023 Apr 18, 2023

Greetings all,

Updates for Adobe Photography products have been released.  The April 2023 updates contain a final fix for this issue. After installing 12.3 it should be no longer necessary to monitor and delete the metrics.json file.

If you do not see the update in your Creative Cloud Application, you can refresh it by hitting [Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+[ R ].

Note: It may take up to 24 hours for your update to be available in your Creative Cloud app.

Thank you for your patience.

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 438 Replies 438
438 Comments
LEGEND ,
Mar 25, 2023 Mar 25, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"there is no metrics.json file, only a Local prefs.json file."

Did you exit LR first?  The file only appears when LR isn't running.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Mar 26, 2023 Mar 26, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For anyone who was having this "LRC won't launch" issue and my fix worked, you should check out my latest update in the link John posted above. The bad news is that as of 3/26, my problem returned. The good news is that the fix still works. But there is a very weird twist to the situation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your help, the problem was LR was taking a long time to start up. Eventually after a while and trying a few things the problem righted itself. I've no idea why, or what caused the original issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Coleagues, 

When in open LRC 12.2.1 it does not open. I have Windows 10 enterprise version 21H2.

I see a small blue wheel for a view second, same as when It would open correctly. But after a veiw seconds, the process it stops and LRC does not open any window. I am not sure if it has any relation to my change in language from english to german.

I have tried:

open from a backup catalog.

uninstall / install

deleted all lightroom files and again installed from crative cloud app...

What I am not able to is alt shift - stop preferences- can anybody explain that? 

What else can I try? 

Please...

thank you

chris

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With LR closed, try deleting the file metrics.json. It's in this folder C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Adobe\Lightroom\Caches\metrics.json .

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much! Deleting "metrics.json" did resolve my problem.

I can continue working LRC. 

🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"The bad news is that as of 3/26, my problem returned."

Even if you did it before, disable the account option Desktop App Usage, as described here:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/lrc-12-2-1-fails-to-start-on-windows/m-...

If appears that in the last couple of days Adobe has been changing things on the server side (hopefully to workaround this very common problem), and that option has been automatically re-enabled for some.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"the problem was LR was taking a long time to start up. Eventually after a while and trying a few things the problem righted itself. I've no idea why, or what caused the original issue."

That could well be the "metrics.json" issue. If it comes back again, exit LR,  delete "metrics.json", and disable the Creative Cloud account option Data App Usage:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/lrc-12-2-1-fails-to-start-on-windows/m-...

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi. My Lightroom Classic isn't opening. It appears in windows task manager but the program does not open.

The other Adobe programs open, just not Lightroom Classic. I have tried reinstalling and using older versions but any option didn't work.

I use Windows 11 Pro and the latest version of Lightroom Classis (12.2.1).
How can I solve this?

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, will do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One of our Prerelease Testers has a bug logged for this and we've referenced this thread to that existing bug. 

Workaround:
The team has verified this workaround has no risks. Until we can release an update, please follow these steps:

Lightroom should now launch normally.

Thank you for your patience. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Leider hat das Löschen der genannten Dateien keine Änderung am Verhalten von Lightroom CC gebracht.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 27, 2023 Mar 27, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens if you log into your computer using a different user account? Typically the Admin account. Does LrC behave?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After several reboots and a couple of times leaving Lightroom trying to open overnight - the issue appears to be resolved. At first I thought it succeeded only when I had my browser (Firefox) closed, but now it seems to be working in all cases. I'm not sure what wound up leading it to work - but trying to open Lightroom and leaving it to run overnight resulted in it eventually working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please.opne.lightroom

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Perhaps this IS the bug...after updating to 12.2.1, Lightroom Classic hangs indefinitely on my machine (I see it chewing up RAM, but never brings up any dialog boxes or UI).  After removing any .lock files, I tried resetting my preferences using the shift+alt method and, after doing so, my machine hangs indefinitely on the "Lightroom Catalog Upgrade" UI, just like the screen attached in the OP's first post.

At this point, the only way I've been able to get back into Lightroom Classic is to uninstall 12.2.1 and install an older version.  12.1 works, but I must reset my preferences to get it to open again...and it takes a little time before I get a message about the dialog to upgrade my catalog.  After selecting to upgrade, Lightroom Classic does eventually open, but it now has to resync all of my images before they show up again.  

I've gone through this entire process twice and still haven't been able to get 12.2.1 to open, so I'm staying with 12.1 until the next update becomes available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried the solution outlined here: https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-lrc-12-2-1-fails-to-start-launch-or-is-extre... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another Mac user here.  Mac OS and LrC are updated.  I lauch LrC and see the load window for a split second and it crashes. 
I look for the Mac: /Users/<username>/Library/Caches/Adobe/Lightroom/metrics.json file to remove, but it is not on my computer. Any other suggestions?  - Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hadn't seen that thread, so I haven't tried it yet.  That said, I can't find a "metrics" file in my Local\Adobe\Lightroom\Caches folder nor can I find an option to disable anything labeled "Data App Usage" in the Creative Cloud app.  Is that the same thing as "Desktop app usage" if I go to the "Privacy and personal data" section of the Creative Cloud website?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok...that worked.  Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I look for the Mac: /Users/<username>/Library/Caches/Adobe/Lightroom/metrics.json file to remove, but it is not on my computer."

Did you close LR before looking?  That's important.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It is already closed.  That's my issue, I can't get it to open. 

-thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Mar 28, 2023 Mar 28, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The engineering team is looking for an example metrics.json file from a customer who experienced a failure to launch. Note: if you were just experiencing a delayed launch we don't need a copy of your file. 

If you have a failure to launch and can supply us with your metrics.json file and are willing to share it with the team, please respond to this post. 

Thanks for your patience. 

Votes

Translate

Translate