• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Metadata issues with video files on M1 Macs

LEGEND ,
Aug 01, 2021 Aug 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Today I noticed Lightroom Classic was displaying incorrect metadata for recent imported videos (taken with iPhone X). My older videos have correct metadata, so what changed? Appears to be an issue specific to M1 Macs.

Here is what I found...

On M1 Mac Mini:

1. Get info in Finder for MOV files shows the expected metadata. Created date/time is correct, and other details such as latitude longitude are displayed.

2. When I import these files into Lightroom, the metadata for capture date/time is incorrect. Lightroom displays the date/time the video was imported into Lightroom for capture date/time, which is clearly not when the video was captured. The GPS box is blank and no camera info is displayed.

On Intel Mac:

My Lightroom catalog and masters are on an external drive, so I connected to an Intel MacBook. I imported the exact same MOV file. This time, Lightroom displays the correct capture date/time (matches the created date/time as seen in Finder). The GPS box pulls in correct location coordinates and camera model displays iPhone X.

Adobe, can you please address this in your next Lightroom Classic release?

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Feb 07, 2022 Feb 07, 2022

Updates to the Adobe Photography Products were released today and contain a fix for this issue. Please install the update via your Creative Cloud Desktop App or your respective App Store. 

Note: 

You may need to refresh the Creative Cloud App for desktop software to show an update available.  ([Ctrl/Cmd]+[Alt/Opt]+ [ R ])

For Mobile downloads, it may take several days for the update to appear in your respective App Stores.

Thank you for your patience. 

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 106 Replies 106
106 Comments
LEGEND ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Got the Error (404) page again just now.  I've never seen that happen before with Dropbox links here  (I've got dozens of links posted here).  You could try Google Drive or Wetransfer or Onedrive or some other service that offers a free option?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

[This post contains formatting and embedded images that don't appear in email. View the post in your Web browser.]

When I import that video into my LR 11 / Mac OS 11.6 (Intel), I get the correct capture date that's recorded in the field QuickTime:CreateDate:

johnrellis_0-1636513696467.png

$ exiftool -quicktime:createdate GX020021.MP4 
Create Date                     : 2021:11:07 15:14:37

Two others recently reported that LR 11 is failing to read the capture date correctly from videos, even though my LR read the date correctly from the same video. Mystery so far...

I'm going to ask the moderators to merge your report with the other one, to esure future reports are all gathered together in one thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderators, @Rikk Flohr: Photography, please merge this read with a very similar report of LR 11 not reading video capture dates correctly in some installations but not others:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-discussions/file-creation-date-time-incorrect-after... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting Status to Planned

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Investigating

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 14, 2021 Nov 14, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the probelm with video orientation on my new M1 MacBook Pro, not on my old Intel MAC. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 17, 2021 Nov 17, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same problem.  Videos shot in portrait on my iphone 12 are importing landscape into LR Classic on an M1 iMac with no option to rotate.  This is a serious issue for me - I can't work like this - is there a workaround ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 22, 2021 Nov 22, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm having trouble with capturing Exif information in videos. It started happening in Lightroom Classic 11.0.1.

Version of the app: Lightroom Classic 11.0.1 (Camera RAW 14.0)
Platform and OS version: MacOS Monterey 12.0.1
Basic steps to reproduce the problem:
1. Copy photos/movies from my SD card to SSD in my Mac.
2. Launch Lightroom Classic and do "Synchronize Folder..."
3. Check Metadata by "EXIF IPTC".

Expected result and actual result:
Most of Exif information is missing for videos.

Details:
I've been seeing Exposure, ISO Speed Rating, Focal Length, etc in both photos and videos until Lightroom Classic 11.0.0.
I recently bought a new MacBook Pro (M1 Max) and installed Lightroom Class 11.0.1. Copied the catalog from my old MacBook Pro (2018 model). It works fine and I can see Exif as I used to see in the old MacBook.

ScreenShot1_old.png
Now, when I import new photos/videos (actually I use "Synchronize Folder..."), Exif information for videos are missing.

ScreenShot2_new.png

The biggest impact is that it's missing "Date Time Digitized". Photos and videos are supposed to be sorted by "Capture Time", so this information is essential. (NOTE: Date Time in Exif exists but it shows the time of file imported to MacBook, not the captured time.)

I compared the settings with Lightroom Class in my old MacBook but couldn't find any special difference.

Could someone please suggest something so that I can import Exif info for videos?

Many thanks is advance!
Satoshi

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same here. Sounds like it's happening to everyone using the latest version of LR with M1 Macs. Can replicate everytime when exporting videos that were taken vertically on my iPhone and exported to file and then tried to import into LR. Same bug occured back in 2018, Adobe acknowledged and fixed at that time. Seems to be happening again, so hopefully will be fixed in the next update. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 27, 2021 Nov 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@SteddyShots, please upload a sample video and the precise steps taken to provide the bug. Then if Adobe can reproduce the bug on their M1s, a bug report will get filed internally.  Without an easy-to-reproduce precise recipe, Adobe is unfortunately not likely to pay attention.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I submitted a bug report to Adobe directly as well. It's not video specific, can take any new vertical video on my iphone or spouses and able to replicate everytime when importing on my Lightroom on M1, or on another M1 Mac. So don't think they will have any issue replicating when they check on their M1 Machines.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 29, 2021 Nov 29, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Updating status - adding bug number

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 04, 2021 Dec 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using LC 11.0.1. In the thumbnail view, my videos taken in portrait view appear correctly. However, when I select any one of them, they display in landscape mode, as they they are rotated 90 degress anti-clockwise. Does anyone else experience this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you on an Apple Silicon (M1) computer?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I am.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A number of people have reported problems with video incorrectly rotated on M1 Macs, and there's a bug filed with Adobe. Unfortunately, no workaround has been published.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the update!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 05, 2021 Dec 05, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm the problem as well.  I had been importing photos and videos for years from a Canon D20 pocket camera with correct video capture times, dates and GPS coordinates, most recently on a Macbook Pro running MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 with LR 10.4.  I just switched to a Macbook Pro 16" M1, running MacOS 12.0.1 with LR 10.4, and now the videos import with the import date and time instead of the capture date and time, and no GPS coordinates.  Photos import with correct timestamps and GPS coordinates.

I also tried importing photos and videos from my iPhone 11 Pro Max, with the same results: photos import fine as usual, videos import with timestamps equal to date imported instead of actual capture date and no GPS coordinates.

In the case of the Canon D20, the capture dates are correct, but the GPS coordinates don't look right: Latitude 394622° 44' 45.6" N, Longitude 754610° 43' 40.8" W.  However, using the Metadata Viewer Plugin, the GPS coordinates look correct in the video file (39.94350000 N, 75.69989500 W).

In the case of the iPhone, the capture dates and GPS data displayed in Finder for the videos are correct.  GPS Latitude 40° 45' 20.52" N, Longitude 73° 59' 11.04" W, which match the EXIF metadata in the video file (40.75570000 N, 73.98660000 W).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Previously imported Canon D20 videos also display GPS coordinates incorrectly in Finder, so that apparently is a MacOS Monterey Finder display problem.  When I play the video in Quicktime, show the metadata and navigate to the GPS coordinates, the correct GPS coordinates are displayed in Quicktime and the correct GPS location is displayed in Apple Maps.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This bug may have the same root cause as this bug:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-metadata-issues-with-video-files-on-m1-macs/...

where LR on Apple Silicon (M1) Macs aren't reading video metadata properly.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 06, 2021 Dec 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can confirm the problem as well.
I had been importing videos MP4 from Panasonic camera and as well videos MOV from Fujifilm X-T20 camera
on a Macbook Air M1 running MacOS 12.0.1 with LR Classic 11.0.1. The videos imported with the import date
and time instead of the capture date and time, without Make and Model camera, ISO value.
When I tried the same imports on a LR 6.14 running Windows 10 build 19043.1387 there were not any problems
with correct capture datetime and Make, Model etc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 09, 2021 Dec 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh Lordy!  So I didn't realise that not only were videos importing at the incorrect orientation - they have incorrect metadata too!!!  Any update on when this is going to be addressed ??

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 13, 2021 Dec 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello

When I import a video from Apple photos into LrC 11.0.1 the import time/date is used instead of the original media creation date. Also the GPS tag isn't recognized. But Exiftool displays this data properly.

The problem doesn't occure on Lr10.4 with identical files, so it appears to be a bug introduced into Lr.

I tested videos exported using both macOS 12.0.1 and the old 10.14.6 with the same result:

- works on LrC 10.4

- doesn't work on LrC 11.0.1

Is this a known issue and is there a known workaround for it?

Thank you and greetings from Switzerland

Votes

Translate

Translate