• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: On exit, LR doesn't save the metadata of the current photo

LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When Automatically Write Changes Into XMP is enabled, LR won't write the develop settings of the current photo when it exits. To reproduce:

1. Enable Automatically Write Changes Into XMP.

2. Edit a raw in Develop.

3. Change the Exposure slider to -5.

4. Exit LR.

5. Edit the raw's .xmp and observe that the Exposure slider is not -5.

See the attached screen recording.  Prior to LR 11, this behaved correctly. With the current performance enhancements to writing .xmp, there's no performance reason why LR shouldn't write the .xmp of the current photo on exit.

Tested on LR 11.0 / Windows 10.

Bug Started
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Changing status to investigating

Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate
18 Comments
Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2021 Nov 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Would love to see XMP writing happen the old way, upon a change being made. Maybe a toggle option so people can pick which one they prefer; after each change or after selecting a new image?

Finding i'm having trouble getting used to the new XMP writing by editing the last image in a Lightroom session, then closing Lightroom after export and the last image doesn't get an XMP written since I didn't select off that image. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Finding i'm having trouble getting used to the new XMP writing by editing the last image in a Lightroom session, then closing Lightroom after export and the last image doesn't get an XMP written since I didn't select off that image."

I think that's a plain old bug -- LR should save the metadata of the current photo on exit. No option needed.

Interestingly, though, in my LR 11 with Automatically Write Changes To XMP, I observe that changes to Develop settings get written to the .xmp sidecar about 1 second after I change a slider, even though I haven't selected another image. That's not the way it's supposed to work in LR 11!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 04, 2021 Nov 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk Flohr: Photography, I think this is a bug, not an Idea. When Automatically Write Changes To XMP is selected, LR should obviously always save the metadata for the currently selected photo on exit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 06, 2021 Nov 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another demonstration of this bug: If you try to exit LR while the current photo and other photos have unsaved changes, LR will tell you that it isn't finished writing to XMP and ask if you really want to quit. If you cancel the dialog, wait until LR finishes writing XMP, and then exit, LR still hasn't written the metadata for the current photo, even though it has for all the other photos.

To reproduce:

1. Select over 600 photos, with a raw most selected.

2. Go to Develop.

3. Turn on Auto Sync.

4. Set Exposure to -5.

5. Immediately after the Synchronize Settings progress bar completes, try to exit LR.

6. When the dialog asks, "Adobe Lightroom is not finished writing metadata changes into XMP, do you still want to quit?", click Cancel.

7. Repeat steps 5-6 until the dialog doesn't pop up -- that is, until LR thinks all the metadata changes have been written.

8. Edit in a text editor the .xmp sidecar for the file edited in Develop in step 4.

9. Observe that Exposure2012 is not -5, indicating that its metadata didn't get saved, even though all the other files had their metadata saved.  Bug.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 07, 2021 Nov 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a thought, a ‘Saving XMP’ pause button was added in activity centre to pause and resume the Auto Save into XMP (see below screesnhot). This  button is only displayed when ‘Automatically write changes into XMP’ option is enabled in Catalog Settings, but I see no mention of checking status of same in your post or similar posts by others. Can you check status of button.

metadata-6.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I reported a similar error. LR11 does not save to xmp's at all. Pause option in saving xmp is off. Only by selecting all images and choosing the option "save metadata" shows the xmp's are created.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BTW, I have the problem both on Windows and on Mac

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Auto Save XMP needs to be on in Catalog Settings and the Activity Centre (see below screenshot)

metadata-5.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"a ‘Saving XMP’ pause button was added in activity centre"

It wasn't paused (should have mentioned that).  In the screen recording attached above for the first recipe, you can see that the .xmp is indeed written out immediately after LR restarts.  In the second recipe above, all of the photos except  the current photo have their .xmps written, as LR verifies by asking you whether you indeed want to quit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 08, 2021 Nov 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Changing status to investigating

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products
Status Started

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

From Engineering: Can you confirm from the user that the sidecar file contains only xmp or jpg also as sidecar files? Is it possible to get one sample image with the sidecar files from the user?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here's a folder containing a raw and copies of its .xmp sidecar before changing Exposure in Develop, after exiting LR, and after then restarting LR. It also contains a screen recording showing the precise steps for making these copies, along with verification that Automatically Write is enabled and Saving XMP is not paused.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/43fthiulbl3wk6q/xmp-on-exit.2021.11.08.zip?dl=1

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree, I've switched it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Vitoria,

I belive the thread that above should have been merged with is https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/p-on-exit-lr-doesn-t-save-the-metadata-of-the-...

Unfortunately, I can't do the merge myself as that particular forum feature no longer works with Safari and I have no intention of using Chrome.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Ian.

Unfortunately, I can't do the merge myself as that particular forum feature no longer works with Safari and I have no intention of using Chrome.

FWIW I'm using Safari 15.0 and merge seems to be working fine again now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm definitely having issues with sidecar files since the lightroom update. I did a shoot tethered to lightroom yesterday and no sidecar files were generated. I lost all my keywords entered into the tether window. I went into catalogue preferences, metadata tab and unchecked *automatically write changes into xmp*. Then I quit lightroom, restarted and went backed and this time checked *automatically write changes into xmp*. Voila all my xmps were created, but now I'm having issues wiith them not updating when I make changes to the images in lightroom. I'm running windows 10

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Same observation. XMP get created when new images imported, but not automatically updated. The related option "Änderungen automatisch in XMP speichern" (!!speichern = save) is avtivated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@ericm41342906 and @mhitzler, this thread is about a very specific symptom, the currently selected photo's metadata not getting saved when LR exits. 

There are a couple other reports from people observing that metadata isn't getting saved or updated for all or many photos. I recommend you post a new bug report describing your symptoms, including much more detail about what steps you're taking in LR, what you're observing and how you're observing it. Also include the first ten lines from the menu command Help > System Info.  See here for how to write an ideal bug report:

https://community.adobe.com/t5/lightroom-classic-bugs/how-do-i-write-a-bug-report/idi-p/12386373

Votes

Translate

Translate