• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Padlock symbol in Crop tool shows incorrectly as unlocked when aspect crop behaves as locked

Participant ,
Oct 24, 2020 Oct 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When choosing Crop tool there is a padlock symbol that shows whether aspect ratio is locked or not. When making the first attempt to crop any particular image the padlock symbol incorrectly shows as unlocked when the tool is behaving as locked.

This only seems to happen on the first attempt to crop a new image. 

Whilst the symbol incorrectly shows as unlocked (even though aspect ratio is locked), just passing the mouse pointer over the padlock (no click required)  changes the padlock to correctly show as locked.

Whilst incorrectly showing as unlocked (even though aspect ratio is locked), pressing the shortcut key A has no effect on the padlock symbol but does change the aspect lock to unlocked (so now the symbol and the behaviour matches). Subsequent use of the shortcut A makes padlock symbol behave correctly for that image.

Once the initial incorrect view has been corrected (by one of the above methods), all subsequent behaviour on the same image seems correct. Open another new image and the problem reappears.

Catalina 10.15.7

Lightroom Classic v10.0

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Participant , Mar 16, 2021 Mar 16, 2021

This problem now seems to be fixed with v10.2. Thank you! 

Votes

Translate

Translate
45 Comments
New Here ,
Jul 25, 2017 Jul 25, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I need to add a lens profile. In LR 6 I went to update and tried to download LR 6.12. A screen asked for my password showing a padlock. No password I have worked. Is this asking for an Adobe or an Apple password?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share a screenshot of the dialog?
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like a macOS dialog, which would require the password you use to log onto your Mac (not your Adobe ID)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Oct 25, 2020 Oct 25, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try to reproduce on W10 but unfortunatly i don't have the problem on W10 and LRC 10

Sheepdog trying to help Lightroom and Photoshop beginners

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These steps reproduce the problem:

1. Open LR and in Grid view chose photo that has not been cropped
  2. Press R shortcut to enter Crop mode
  3. If padlock symbol is shown as locked try cropping. Note the behaviour is as if aspect ratio is not locked.
  4. Hover (don't click) mouse over padlock symbol to change it from locked to unlocked to match behaviour of crop tool.

OR

If padlock symbol is shown as unlocked when you open crop tool then click it to lock and move to another photo that has not been cropped. Press R to enter crop mode. Padlock is shown as locked but behaviour is as if aspect ratio is not locked.
Hover (don't click) mouse over padlock symbol to change it from locked to unlocked.

Another possibly linked phenomena is that sometimes, on an old photo, when entering crop tool the padlock symbol is greyed out until you pass the mouse over it.

Catalina 10.15.7

Lightroom Classic v10.0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@martin9251 unfortunately I can't reproduce this either.

It would be interesting to see a screen recording of this in action.  macOS's built-in screenshot utility can take recordings.

https://eshop.macsales.com/blog/56041-how-to-make-a-screen-recording-in-macos-mojave-and-catalina/

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is a screen recording of the problem. Whilst watching this short clip keep your eye on the padlock symbol (top right in the crop panel) shown as 'locked' throughout until I pass my mouse over it near the end.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/lGyCQ5G7bTo" style="max-width: 100%; max-height: 100%;" width="640px"></iframe>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A Preference File will survive a Lightroom uninstall/reinstall. Sometimes weird behavior is corrected/cured by resetting the preferences.

Reset Procedure:

1. Close Lightroom.

2. Hold down [Alt/Opt]+[Shift] while restarting Lightroom.

3. Overwrite the Preferences when prompted by the dialog.

4. Close Lightroom.

5. Restart Lightroom.

Does the behavior continue after resetting the preferences?

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Nice demonstration Martin!  Hope Adobe is able to help you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Screenshot20201026at19.52.00-52babae0-741c-4e51-83bb-ed1c171fd4b5-408703870.png

The issue is still there I'm afraid after resetting preferences as you described. I've also captured a related phenomana which (in the image above) shows the padlock greyed out. If you hover (not click) your mouse over the grey padlock it turns to the normal yellow - and usually stays yellow  until LR is next opened. 

In the meantime the bug as described above still exists. It really boils down to the image of the padlock showing incorrectly as locked when the tool behaves as unlocked.

Just like the grey/yellow, it's solved by passing the mouse over the icon shows it correctly, but the problem returns on the next image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Oct 26, 2020 Oct 26, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Martin

I tried your recipe and could not duplicate your issue.    Lr10 and macOS 10.15.7

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Nov 07, 2020 Nov 07, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After upgrading to version 10.0 in the develop module with the crop tool, the lock icon shows locked indicating that the image will be cropped with the original aspect ratio, however it does not, it is a freeform crop, as soon as I move my mouse pointer over the lock icon (without clicking) the lock shows open.

Mac 10.14.6 Mojave

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 08, 2020 Nov 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having this exact issue with LR Classic 10.0 on a 2019 27" iMac. When I open the crop tool the lock icon is open but the crop behaves like it is locked. When I mouse over the lock it closes. If I then unlock it it opens and I can then do a custom - free form crop.

This behave repeats for every image I edit. In the past if you left the crop icon unlocked it would stay unlocked, but note that it looks like its unlocked but is not, at least until I make it show its true state then unlock it.

Very annoying and slows me down massively. 

Very disappointed with LR 10 this is the third bug that I have seen so far.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Resetting Preferences as described by Rick solved the issue for me. Thanks Rikk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm getting the opposite, lock keeps closing forcing me into a crop ratio.  Unlocking the aspect ratio only seems to work for that crop, the lock reverts to closed next time I want to use it.

Mac, current Catalina version and Lightroom 10.

Simon

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let us know if resetting preferences fixes this misbehavior:

https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/ 

LR sometimes soils its preferences file, and resetting it can fix all sorts of wonky things. That article explains how to restore the original preferences if it doesn't help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 09, 2020 Nov 09, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

resetting prefs didn't work for me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be aware if you are resetting Preferences that if you have anything in non-standard locations (like I did) LR won’t find them and you will either need to move them or return the pointers to the old location. Nothing is ever straightforward.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am having the same issues after resetting preferences. I also took the extra step of rebooting after resetting preferences. I'll try to upload another screen video to prove the issue. Keep your eye on the padlock symbol.

<iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/rESozILa4Cc" style="max-width: 100%; max-height: 100%;" width="640px"></iframe>

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@philipn_4534854 

Q: just to clarify, when I reset prefs, everything was back to standard (all settings I changed); so I wouldn't have the problem you mentioned, right?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue is a nightmare - the crop tool lock is definitely working correctly.  When I lock on one photo and move to second photo the lock on the 1st is not retained, i.e when I go back to the first it is unlocked! For my particular purposes and work flow this makes the tool essentially unusable!!! It needs to be fixed and fast!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Correct, if you haven’t shifted locations of your presets then you will be fine.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Contributor ,
Nov 15, 2020 Nov 15, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just been working with adjusting aspect ratio for a lot of photos. 10.0 Release.

After a while, the padlock state for original reverses. Original is set, the lock is set. So you expect it to maintain aspect ratio.

It doesn't, you have free reign over changing the crop in both axes.

Wasn't like this a couple of weeks ago.

So the UI state is getting mixed up for some reason.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Dec 08, 2020 Dec 08, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: The issue I described above is not fixed in Classic v10.1 and not fixed when updating the preferences file. Unlike the other bug I reported (which has not been fixed - thanks!) this one has not been acknowledged by Adobe but has by other users below. 

If Adobe would like other info to help them fix then don't hesitate to ask me.

Votes

Translate

Translate