• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: performance issues with Sony raw files

Community Beginner ,
Apr 11, 2017 Apr 11, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ever since Lightroom CC 2015.7 there has been a performance issue with Lightroom and Sony ARW files. When working in the develop module, when you first move to an image, the sliders will operate, but have no effect for several seconds. On non-sony images this does not seem to be a problem. This issue only started with 2015.7 and has not been resolved by subsequent updates. In some cases it can take up to 10 seconds after an image loads in the develop module before the sliders become responsive.

I have tried using a new catalogue with no other images in it, to see if it was my catalogue, but to no effect. Others have reported this too, but as they are not using other cameras, they did not realise it was specific to sony ARW files. One user posted a video on YOu-Tube showing the problem. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPFujo_tNY8

This is not my video, but the person is having the exact same problem that I am having.

My setup is a MacPro 12 Core with 20GB ram. I've also tried it on a retina MacBook pro and the delay is not as much, but it still exists. The only solution seems to be to wait for a few seconds each time you move to a new image in Lightroom.

There was also some suggestion that it could be related to applying presets, but it seems to be affecting me regardless. It does seem to be less of a delay if you don't apply any presets though, but it's still delayed compared to using non-sony files, or the performance pre 2015.7

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Updating status

Status Fixed

Votes

Translate

Translate
9 Comments
New Here ,
Apr 12, 2017 Apr 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for reporting the issue. Please update to Lightroom CC 2015.10(released yesterday) and check if the issue persists. If yes, it would be helpful if you can provide following information:
1) Configuration of your camera along with graphic card info
2) Which OS you are working on?
3) Screenshot of 'System Info' under 'Help' section in Lightroom
4) Sample Sony ARW files that you are using. Please put the files in drop box and share the link.

Thanks,
Garima

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Garima

Thanks for the response. There is no change under the latest .10 update. Here's the information that you asked for:

Camera: Sony A6000, Sony A7II
MacOS: Sierra (10.12.4)
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 5770 (I have GPU disabled in Lightroom as it makes it worse)

System Info (I saved it out)
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9380800/Lightroom-System-Info.txt

A sample of a few files. I exported as a catalogue so you have it as I had it:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/9380800/Sony-ARW-Test.zip

Just to note, this is not specific to these files though. It happens on any Sony ARWW file that I have tried, including sample files downloaded from DP Review etc for various cameras. I do use a preset to apply colour profile etc on import, so that may be a contributing factor.

Thanks
Thomas

Votes

Translate

Translate

Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thomas,
could the problem be related to using Win 10 on a Mac? That ́s what you do, right? Anyway, I tried your catalog on a Win 10 machine with a 5930K CPU (6-core, 4ghz), 32GB RAM, GTX 970)) and applying presets takes about half a second. But then I ́m using a 1920x1200px monitor and do not have your user presets for developing. So I only tried LR ́s presets.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not using Windows 10 on a mac. I'm using native version of Lightroom. The video I linked to above was not mine, which I pointed out in the original post. It was to illustrate the point because that person was having the same issue, and their system is substantially different from mine.

The issue is not applying presets. The issue is that Lightroom is unresponsive when you move from image to image.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a quick follow-up. I realise that it might have been confusing posting someone else's video who was having a similar issue, so I've made my own which I think illustrates the problem a little clearer, and so that there will be no confusion:

https://youtu.be/HGQDNjgRZAA

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Apr 13, 2017 Apr 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for providing the inputs. We will investigate the issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Apr 08, 2018 Apr 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any result yet from investigating this issue, then?
Lightroom f-i-n-a-l-l-y was able to import my .arw-files, but  in the developer module insists the images are 'unsupported or damaged'.
So I am very curious about the results of that investigation, as  one of the Adobe employees told THEY would be perform, 12 months ago.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Jun 01, 2021 Jun 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have Sony A1 and the same issue as the OP of this thread. Enabling, disabling GPU acceleration has no effect. I'm running on Window 10 Pro with all drivers and everything up to date.

Windows 10 Pro (latest updates)

Latest Lightroom Classic (always up to date with Creative Cloud)

Ryzen 7 3700X 

32GB RAM

Radeon RX 5700 XT (latest drivers)

Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB (NVME SSD)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 23, 2021 Nov 23, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST