• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Print module: white line displayed at the bottom of images

Enthusiast ,
Nov 09, 2021 Nov 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LrC 11.0, but it happened in 10.x (I reported it a year or so ago but it was not even acknowledged back then)

Windows 10 Pro x64

When using the Print module, a thin white line often shows at the bottom of the displayed image.

MNiessenPhoto_0-1636447841081.png

It happens only onscreen (i.e. not in the output JPEG file or print) and depends on the actual display size of the image. If I change the LrC window size or hide some panels, in sometimes disappear. In this case (outputting an aspect ratio of 4x5 portrait), just pressing T to hide toolbar makes the displayed image a bit bigger and the line disappears.

MNiessenPhoto_1-1636447977491.png

With an output of 3x4 portrait, for instance, it doesn't show with the toolbar either shown or hidden, but if I hide the top panels (F5) it appears (with or without toolbar).

In 5x7 portrait, it appears with or without toolbar.

In 16x10, it appears with the toolbar hidden.

And so on... as mentioned, it's purely based on the actual displayed image size.

It would be nice if at least it weren't ignored again.

Michael

Michael Niessen - Photographer, photo-editor, educator

Photo-editing (Ps/Lr/LrC) and photography workshops & one-on-one training (off- and online)
Bug Acknowledged
TOPICS
Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Setting Status to Acknowledged - 

After about two hours of attempting to reproduce this I finally arrived at reproducible steps and will log a bug. 

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate
22 Comments
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This clearly describe a bug, IMO. Why was it moved from Bugs to Discussion, without any feedback whatsoever?

Michael

Photo-editing (Ps/Lr/LrC) and photography workshops & one-on-one training (off- and online)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouild be happy to log it as a bug if I can confirm the behavior.  Engineering will require repeatable steps to generate the behavior.  Can you provide a step-by-step method for reliabley reproducing so I can verify the bad behavior?

(Aside - I do a lot of printing from Windows to both Canon and Epson and I've never encountered it)

Please include display resolution information, graphics card, printer, print profiles etc. 

Thank!

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Rikk Flohr: Photography ,

System info:

Lightroom Classic version: 11.0 [ 202110120910-0bccc70d ]
License: Creative Cloud
Language setting: en
Operating system: Windows 10 - Business Edition
Version: 10.0.19043
Application architecture: x64
System architecture: x64
Logical processor count: 12
Processor speed: 2,9GHz
SqLite Version: 3.36.0
Built-in memory: 16114,4 MB
Real memory available to Lightroom: 16114,4 MB
Real memory used by Lightroom: 5049,1 MB (31,3%)
Virtual memory used by Lightroom: 12865,8 MB
GDI objects count: 1253
USER objects count: 3545
Process handles count: 3518
Memory cache size: 1216,1MB
Internal Camera Raw version: 14.0 [ 950 ]
Maximum thread count used by Camera Raw: 5
Camera Raw SIMD optimization: SSE2,AVX,AVX2
Camera Raw virtual memory: 2468MB / 8057MB (30%)
Camera Raw real memory: 2538MB / 16114MB (15%)
System DPI setting: 144 DPI (high DPI mode)
Desktop composition enabled: Yes
Displays: 1) 3840x2160
Input types: Multitouch: Yes, Integrated touch: Yes, Integrated pen: Yes, External touch: No, External pen: No, Keyboard: No

Graphics Processor Info:
DirectX: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti with Max-Q Design (30.0.14.7239)

As mentioned in my earlier message, I've already reported it long ago and it was ignored. Since then, my computer hasn't changed, but display drivers have been updated a few times, and LrC was 10.x back then (not sure which version exactly).

There are no very specific steps to reproduce it. It appears when I create layouts in the Print module, in a variety of aspect ratio, as mentioned, as well as different output resolutions.

Here are a few examples, with LrC fullscreen on 4K.

MNiessenPhoto_0-1636470277731.png

The white line disappears if I hide the toolbar or the top panels. If I hide both at once, the line is there.

MNiessenPhoto_1-1636470411091.png

Line visible when toolbar hidden (with or without top panel), invisible with both toolbar and top panel.

MNiessenPhoto_2-1636470607288.png

Line visible with top panel (with or without toolbar), invisible without top panel (with or without toolbar).

I could go on and on, showing/hiding different things and/or resizing the LrC window...

Back when I had already reported it, I had also posted this video, showing the white line appearing and disappearing as I modified the layout:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2LA1W-WCQs

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And to be clear: Output via Paper or JPEG is not affected - only the visual preview in the Print module? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"And to be clear: Output via Paper or JPEG is not affected - only the visual preview in the Print module? "

Yes @Rikk Flohr: Photography , only the visual preview in the Print module.

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tested on a Win 10 Machine with a GTX970 (close to what you are using). I cannot make the line appear at all regardless of Toolbar/Upper/Lower/Left Right panel configuration.  I am configured to print to an Epson SC800 right now.

• What is your Printer? Settings for Paper? Borderless? 
  • In Lightroom what is Zoom to Fill set to?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the follow up, @Rikk Flohr: Photography 

What is your Printer? Settings for Paper? Borderless? 

Sorry if I wasn't clear, my mistake, but I don't have any printer configured at the moment and thus can only test it with JPEG output (print to: JPEG file), as shown in the screenshots I've included.

In Lightroom what is Zoom to Fill set to?

Zoom to fill is checked in most of my layouts, but I've tested it unchecked earlier today before posting, and the line appears sometimes as well. Obviously, with a white page background, it's only noticeable when there is no top/bottom border, so in practice it doesn't show as often.

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I don't have any printer configured at the moment"

If I do select Print to: Printer (printer being "Microsoft print to PDF"), the line still appears in some cases.

MNiessenPhoto_0-1636474195363.png

Go figure...

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I configured for Microsoft Print to PDF and still cannot produce a white line.

Do you have any unusual scaling set in your Windows Display set up?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Scaling in Windows is 150%. It's in the list, not a custom value, but how (un)usual it is, I don't know 😉

MNiessenPhoto_0-1636475900435.png

Font size in LrC is set to Automatic (default).

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am normally set to 100% so I set at 150% to see if I could duplicate and still can't. 

At this point, I am hoping another customer may be seeing the same issue and chime in with additional information. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Even at 150%, the text is not very large.

100% on my system (with a 15" display) would be, let's say, a bit too small 🙂

MNiessenPhoto_0-1636476724980.png

"At this point, I am hoping another customer may be seeing the same issue and chime in with additional information. "

Let's hope so! But you do agree it's not as it should be, right? Right?

In any case, thanks for your follow up, @Rikk Flohr: Photography !

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are all the photos for which this happens cropped?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"Are all the photos for which this happens cropped?"

No. It doesn't matter if photos are cropped or not.

Likewise, it doesn't matter if the aspect ratio of the print page layout is the same as the picture (cropped or not).

The white line might, but does not necessarily, appear in all those cases.

I'm repeating myself here, but just for clarity's sake, it only depends on the visible image size on-screen and not on any layout settings. That means that if the line appears with certain page layout/LrC window size/panels visibility/page options, then it doesn't matter which photos I select, the line will always be visible.

And it there's no line, same thing, it will never appear as long as I don't change the visible panels, etc... no matter which photo is active. But if I then resize the LrC window or display/hide some combination of panels/toolbar/menu bar, it will always appear at some point, just as it happens in the video I included in a post above.

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I can duplicate the bottom white line issue on my Windows 10 system using LrC 11.0. Below is a portratit 5"x7" layout with no margins. It appears when 'Image Cells' is unchecked in the Guides panel. Not sure what the signifigance is, but it appears to be a bug (rounding error?).

Print Module White Line.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,
Nov 10, 2021 Nov 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Todd Shaner 

"It appears when 'Image Cells' is unchecked in the Guides panel."

I assume that if you uncheck Show Guides, it will be visible as well. All guides being overlayed onto the picture, the image cells border actually sits on top of the white line, that's why it's not visible with image cells checked.

Anyway, good someone can confirm this. Maybe it will finally be acknowledged as something abnormal, i.e. a bug, even if it doesn't happen to every single LrC user. Given that many people don't even ever use the Print module, of course they will never see it...

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 11, 2021 Nov 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"I assume that if you uncheck Show Guides, it will be visible as well."

No it is not visible when Show Guides is unchecked. What do you see when Image Cells is checked and then unchecked? What do you see when Image Cells is checked and Show Guides is unchecked?

I also noticed when Stroke Border is used with the white line not visible the stroke at the bottom of the frame is larger by about the width of the white line. So there's some frame calculation rounding error that's causing it. Shouldn't be that difficult to fix.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"No it is not visible when Show Guides is unchecked."

OK

"What do you see when Image Cells is checked and then unchecked?"

When I check it, the cell border appears on top, so the white line doesn't show and I have the cell dark grey edge on all 4 sides. When I uncheck it, well, the cell edge is removed and white line back...

"What do you see when Image Cells is checked and Show Guides is unchecked?"

I see the white line when show guides is unchecked, whether image cells is checked or not. Well, as always depending on the image size on-screen, as mentioned already 😉

"Shouldn't be that difficult to fix."

I don't know. What I know is it's very difficult for Adobe to aknowledge it's a bug.

I think I have given enough details and examples for it to be obvious than I'm not mistaken this issue with any avoidable problem, such as having added a thin margin. Just the video I posted above should be proof enough that there is something weird going on and it's not as-designed.

But anyway, I'll leave it to this, too much time wasted trying to convince them...

Thanks, Todd.

Michael

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Todd Shaner @MNiessenPhoto @Rikk Flohr: Photography 

I get an opposite reaction on my Mac with Image Cells checked/unchecked.  If Image Cells is unchecked the white line appears but only at certain sizes of the LrC windows.  I was dragging the Lrc window smaller to screen clip and the line shows up at certain sizes.  If it is checked the line doesn't show up.

See video here

https://www.dropbox.com/s/78nn73ie8ozg0vr/Screen%20Recording%202021-11-11%20at%204.13.01%20PM.mov?dl... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Nov 12, 2021 Nov 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Setting Status to Acknowledged - 

After about two hours of attempting to reproduce this I finally arrived at reproducible steps and will log a bug. 

Status Acknowledged

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Bob, you're seeing the same behavior on your Mac system as I mention in my reply above copied here.

"I can duplicate the bottom white line issue on my Windows 10 system using LrC 11.0. Below is a portratit 5"x7" layout with no margins. It appears when 'Image Cells' is unchecked in the Guides panel"

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Nov 19, 2021 Nov 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@Todd Shaner 

Yes. This happened on Big Sur

Votes

Translate