• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Problem saving metadata if certain adjustment brushing is present (often with guided upright)

Explorer ,
Feb 04, 2017 Feb 04, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I've been having problems saving metadata under certain conditions in 2015.8..  LR will say saving metadata, but the badge will come back on after.

So far, I've been able to narrow down that it seems to happen most often when an adjustment brush is used along with guided upright.

The problem comes in when I try to replicate it in photos that are ok with it.
On problem photos - copying, then deleting the problem adjustment brush will allow it to save ok.  But if I re-paste that copied brush, it wont save again.  Even more puzzling is that if that if there are more than one brush, then it seems to only have a problem with ONE of them.  And again, I haven't been able to determine a pattern as of yet..  It took me quite a while to even narrow it down to an adjustment brush issue, recently.

Also of note is that it will have problems saving even if there are snapshots with the offending brush, even if the 'current' doesn't include the problem brush.

Also important here, is that just turning off upright won't fix it - only removing the offending brush will..

Sooo, therefore it might not even be a problem collision with guided upright! ...  It's just that I notice the problem occurs most often when guided upright is involved.

The only way I've been able to work around this is to create virtual copies with the offending brush (and the other settings).  However, then I lose the belt-and-suspenders backing up of settings - which I find very important to me.

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
35 Comments
Explorer ,
Mar 06, 2017 Mar 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Some more insight to this, as I've been noticing:

It seems to happen more often, the more brushstrokes there are.  Either that, or the increased number of brushstrokes just gives it more of a chance to trigger it.  I might even go so far as to say, with a 'high' number of brushstrokes, it may almost certainly happen.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is consistent with the hypothesis that the larger the amount of metadata being written, the more likely that the internal "touchTime" timetamp will be much different than the last-modified timestamp: https://feedback.photoshop.com/photoshop_family/topics/problem-saving-metadata-if-certain-adjustment... . Brushstrokes consume a relatively large amount of metadata.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could be related, but the TouchTime resolves with a save-read, whereas this never does.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That's the thing about bugs -- by definition, they behave in ways not well understood.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh - I tried editting that..  No wonder it didn't take.  🙂  Here is what I revised it with:

Could be related, but the TouchTime issue resolves with a save-read, whereas this never does. And resetting an adjustment brush-pin's brushings and settings doesn't resolve it either - only deleting the pin will. In the radial and grad, just resetting the brushings (leaving the pin and settings intact) will resolve it, but not with the adjustment brush.

And at this point, what I notice is just an unscientific correlation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
May 04, 2018 May 04, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Over a year and this still hasn't been resolved.

However, I'd add that guided upright has absolutely nothing to do with this.  It was probably just a new feature I happened to be playing with a lot, at the time.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 07, 2018 Aug 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just a quick note. We are no longer able to reproduce this issue in the latest Lightroom Classic Version.  Can you still reproduce Chris?
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2018 Aug 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I just tried re-saving the metadata for one, and then also saving an added snapshot (just a duplicated clone of another old one), but its status still didn't resolve.  I haven't been doing much brushwork otherwise, lately - so I don't totally know if new ones would be created or not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
Aug 22, 2018 Aug 22, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Chris,

Try Lightroom Classic CC 7.5 released earlier today. Do you see the issue after updating?
Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2018 Aug 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST
When trying to just do a resave, it doesn't resolve.

BUT, even if I do so much as select the latest snapshot, copy all, then 'update with current settings', that same snapshot  - and THEN do a save metadata...  It seems to resolve - SO FAR at least.  (But sometimes it might take a while to re-show the problem.  Of course I'm hoping that's not the case right now.)

So it seems as if some sort of slight change has to be registered in order for the status to resolve.

I'm hoping I'll be able to do that for the rest of them, and finally retire the 'metadata-save-problems' keywording once and for all.

Thanks for your continued attention to this frustrating problem - and to the developer who may have seemingly fixed this annoyance.

Votes

Translate

Translate