Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Message: "The catalog could not be opened due to an unexpected error."

Community Beginner ,
Mar 18, 2021 Mar 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This issue has returned.

The catalog opened ONCE (and only once) after updating to LrC 10.2; I do this as a test everytime I update LrC.

Now, a few days later, I get the pop-up with the error text: "The catalog could not be opened due to an unexpected error."

Bug Fixed
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

We have fixed this issue in 10.3

Votes

Translate

Translate
replies 113 Replies 113
113 Comments
Community Beginner ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I’d be delighted to do so.

Can you reply with the command we need to execute?

We’ll need a Windows command and a Mac command.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,
May 03, 2021 May 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On Mac: Open Terminal. Run  
 >> /Applications/Adobe\ Lightroom\ Classic/Adobe\ Lightroom\ Classic.app/Contents/MacOS/Adobe\ Lightroom\ Classic
On Win: Open cmd. Run
 >> cd "C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic\"
 >> Lightroom.exe

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 04, 2021 May 04, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Where are the logs written? Is there a command-line switch needed to turn on logging?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LrC v10.2 will not open my catalog, same problem I had with v10.1.1.  I roll back to v10.1 and it works perfectly.  I am using a 2017 iMac 27" with Big Sur 11.3 (the problem also existed with the last couple of iterations of Big Sur 11.2).

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

On the older version, if you optimize the catalog, or export as catalog (everything), then try with newer version, any luck?

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have same  "....unexpecred error."

This has been an intermitant issue for years.

There has been no real solution ever provided! (true?)

There has been no real explanation ever provided! (true?)

Only: Acknowledged

We posters just fade away, I can't hear convinced voices saying how or what action fixed it. All post hoc logic.

Does the issue just goes away ? Just keep clicking to see?

How about a class action for breach of contract?

Cheers, Bill Harris

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Apparently, this has been an intermitant issue for years.

There has been no real solution ever provided! (true?)

There has been no real explanation ever provided! (true?)

Only: Acknowledged

We posters just fade away, I can't hear convinced voices saying how or what action fixed it. All post hoc logic.

Does the issue just goes away ? Just keep clicking to see?

How about a class action for breach of contract?

Cheers, Bill Harris

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@andrew_rodney, I started to try your suggestion, but seemed to have done something wrong on the full catalog export.  

Instead, I tried @Rikk's suggestion of renaming the catalog and trying to open.  I had no success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk I tried your suggestion of renaming the catalog and trying to open the renamed file in v10.2.  I had no success.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes and being stuck in the outdated version of Lightroom has some kinks. The library previews are not the same as viewing them in the edit panel. It’s quite annoying. I would really like to be able to use Lightroom to its full extent and be able to preview my edits in the library module. We need this to get fixed! 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 06, 2021 May 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk 

I'm piling on here. First time this ever happened was yesterday. Please add me to your list of clients to whom this is happening. I'm running OS 11.1 and have tried earlier versions of LRC to no avail.

This thread at least lets me know that I'm not alone and will have to make do with doing edits of new photographs in PS and Camera Raw. Standing by for a fix, but please reduce my subscription fee by half in the mean time... I never really liked software as a service.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
May 07, 2021 May 07, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Having constantly this problem too … only going back to LrC 10.1.1 let me open my catalogues w/o getting the error message.

Screenshot20210507at16.17.57-47e33646-177b-4668-95be-5a33e45cb9b2-1276035934.png
AboutmyMac-2990aed1-d742-4529-85ef-4f9e3d5c567f-1976735503.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 08, 2021 May 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@Rikk 

I can't begin to tell you how frustrating this is. I've enjoyed Lightroom for years and now this. I spent all day with a tech in chat and nothing. You guys have a problem as documented here. Please fix it or reduce my subscription to just cover Photoshop.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 09, 2021 May 09, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I upgraded to LTC 10.2, and ⅔ of the time I also CANNOT open any of my catalogs... THIS IS A BIG ISSUE.

I am on two Mac Pros, one running macOS 11.3 RC and the other 11.4 Beta, and all my updates to Adobe Creative Cloud have been prompted by Adobe. Both Mac Pros experience the problem, and the ONLY fix is to reboot, and even that only works half the time.

Yesterday night I had to work and I couldn't open my LR libraries, not a single one fo them. I rebooted three time before I finally was able to open my libraries. This was on my Mac Pro running 11.3 RC.

This needs a fix ASAP, otherwise I have to change my workflow and I really do not want to do that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This past month I've had repeated catalog issues - the unexpected error, then it wont repair.  The drive was checked - it's fine.  The catalog was renamed, moved to another drive.  I was able to open it and work on images but the next time I attempted to reopen, it's corrupt.  For one Senior session - this is the THIRD time I needed to create a new catalog for her.  I create new catalogs for each Senior and have had 2 others corrupt repeatedly as well.  What is causing this?  I've been setting up catalogs and using Lightroom for years without issue - until this spring.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 10, 2021 May 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't actually think you are having problems with your libraries. It is an issue with LTC...

I have had these problems for a while now, and sometimes even if I reboot my Mac several times, I continue to not being able to open my libraries. Then "suddenly" it works again, and I can open the libraries.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 15, 2021 May 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Do we have an update from @Rikk 

Has Adobe acknowledged this is an error and have engineers working on a fix

I sent you a number of catalogs that would not open, could you open them?

This is very,very frustrating for my friend who is not IT literate so every time her catalog corrupts I have to remote control to her machine and restore the backup

The result is a LOYAL LIGHTROOM CUSTOMER IS NO LONGER USING IT 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 16, 2021 May 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue:

I was using Lightroom normally yesterday, closed the program and did a backup of my catolog. 

When trying to open Lightroom today it shows me the following error messsage :

Image is not available

Image is not available

When choosing adifferent catolog for example a backup I get the same message. 

Try again - same message.

Create a new catolog - same message. 

So basically I am not able to run Lightroom at all since my only option is to quit. 

Also my Catolog has a strange name I haven't seen before - Lightroom Catalog-2-2-v10.lrcat.old

I tried to restart my Mac, locate the Catolog in a different place, nothing seems to work. 

The support was contacted and they run all their usual tests on my machine and checked that all permissions etc. are granted. Only solution so far send the catolog to the support team to check if they can safe it. 

If anyone has another idea what to do I would be very grateful! 

Thank you!

I am running macOS Big Sur Version 11.3.1 on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

3,1 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7

16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same thing happen all the time. I reboot, and sometimes I have to reboot a few times, and eventually I am able to open my libraries. There is nothing wrong wth my files, it is something to do with LrC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The reboot hasn't worked for me yet 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Issue:

I was using Lightroom normally yesterday, closed the program and did a backup of my catolog. 

When trying to open Lightroom today it shows me the following error messsage :

Image is not available

Image is not available

When choosing adifferent catolog for example a backup I get the same message. 

Try again - same message.

Create a new catolog - same message. 

So basically I am not able to run Lightroom at all since my only option is to quit. 

Also my Catolog has a strange name I haven't seen before - Lightroom Catalog-2-2-v10.lrcat.old

I tried to restart my Mac, locate the Catolog in a different place, nothing seems to work. 

The support was contacted and they run all their usual tests on my machine and checked that all permissions etc. are granted. Only solution so far send the catolog to the support team to check if they can safe it. 

If anyone has another idea what to do I would be very grateful! 

Thank you!

I am running macOS Big Sur Version 11.3.1 on a MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Early 2015)

3,1 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7

16 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 18, 2021 May 18, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Update: I sent my catalog to the support team because they said it was corrupted got back the repaired catalog... same error!

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
May 19, 2021 May 19, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does anyone have any solution? I can't even open Lightroom at all....

I am really desperate. Losing clients, missing deadlines.... 

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only a temporary solution: downgrade to LrC 10.1.1 (Build 202101041610-8c69aa4e) — maybe you need do de-install the actual version before the downgrade.

LrCinstallotherversionstep1-c933d549-d058-41b5-aae5-307ba2ccc881-1853665286.png
LrCinstallotherversionstep2-5da9c01f-91ef-4e55-b456-116680bf30c7-1852741765.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have the same problem since the start of update 10.2 with mac big Sur.
No valid solution for the moment. I went back to version 10.1.1 and I no longer have any problem opening a catalog. what does adobe do?

Votes

Translate

Translate